Secret Doors Configuration and Implementation

Discussion in 'Tech Guides and Help Threads' started by anatoliy, Jun 2, 2021.

Remove all ads!
  1. anatoliy

anatoliy Established Member

Secret Door and actually any object at map can be configured to be detected.

There are two different ways of detection:
    1. Automatic
    2. Manual (Concentrated)
    Key factors:
    • Target obj_f_secretdoor_flags
    • Target obj_f_secretdoor_dc (lower: DC, higher: minimum search ranks for automatic detection)
    upload_2021-6-2_21-8-23.png
    In WorldEd in Object Properties there are Secret Door DC value and Is Secret Door flag.

Interestingly Secret Door DC is actually two values: actual detect DC in first 7 bits and minRanksDC.

When Automatic detection is being performed it first will check how many search skill ranks has. If it is greater than minRanksDC then hidden roll vs Secret Door DC will be rolled.

Now each time when PC ranks are qualified, and PC did not rolled secret door DC detection, secret door's minRanksDC will increase. Meaning that automatic detection will work again only when the PC would increase Search Ranks.

See Automatic Detection Code:
    Code:
            static int(__cdecl* orgSearchEventSecretDoorDetect)(objHndl, objHndl) = replaceFunction<int(objHndl, objHndl)>(0x10046CE0, [](objHndl sd, objHndl seeker)
            {
                if (sd) {
                    if (secretdoorSys.isSecretDoor(sd)) {
                        auto static HasLineOfAttack = temple::GetRef<BOOL(objHndl obj, objHndl targetObj, int* hasCover)>(0x100570C0);
                        if (HasLineOfAttack(seeker, sd, 0)) {
                            auto static SecretDoorGetDC = temple::GetRef<BOOL(objHndl)>(0x100465B0);
                            auto minRanksDCminus1 = SecretDoorGetDC(sd);
                            auto skillRanksSearch = critterSys.SkillBaseGet(seeker, SkillEnum::skill_search);
                            if (skillRanksSearch > minRanksDCminus1) {
                                auto dc = secretdoorSys.getSecretDoorDC(sd);
                                auto result = skillSys.SkillRoll(seeker, SkillEnum::skill_search, dc, 0, 4);
                                if (result) {
                                    auto static SecretDoorDetect = temple::GetRef<BOOL(objHndl sd, objHndl seeker)>(0x10046920);
                                    return SecretDoorDetect(sd, seeker);
                                }

auto v5 = (((uint16_t)skillRanksSearch + 1) << 7) & 0x3F80;
                                auto sdFlags = objects.getInt32(sd, obj_f_secretdoor_flags);
                                sdFlags = sdFlags & 0xFFFFC07F | v5;
                                objects.setInt32(sd, obj_f_secretdoor_flags, sdFlags);
                            }
                        }
                    }
                }
                return 0;
            });
    When Concentrated Search (manual) is made, there will be no roll. In fact it is Take 20 without passing time.
    So if PC has +4 in Search Skill, roll result will be 24=20+4.

Also useful function to configure secret object programmatically:
    Code:
    def obj_setup_secret(obj, secret_door_dc, automatic_detect_allowed_from_ranks = 0):
        assert isinstance(obj, toee.PyObjHandle)
        assert isinstance(secret_door_dc, int)
        assert isinstance(automatic_detect_allowed_from_ranks, int)

OSDF_SECRET_DOOR = 0x10000
        obj.obj_set_int(toee.obj_f_secretdoor_flags, OSDF_SECRET_DOOR)

dc_value = (automatic_detect_allowed_from_ranks << 7) + secret_door_dc
        obj.obj_set_int(toee.obj_f_secretdoor_dc, dc_value)
        return

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I sense a pull request coming :)

On that note, another factor is the "Seen scenery" list maintained by the game. This list was meant to only allow you to search for a SD once. It was buggy however in the sense that loading a game and then quitting to menu did not reset the memory where it's held, so if you started a new game you would be unable to detect those secret doors. If you're turning attention towards SD you may want to fix this at the root (I just worked around it by disabling the lookup on the Seen scenery list).

anatoliy likes this.
  3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Was that the root of the secret door bug?

@anatoliy - can't remember if I mentioned this but there are some hidden items sprinkled around KotB (treasures like bolts of silk) that were hidden using that technique.

anatoliy likes this.
  4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Yes. IIRC there's a few other bugs of that sort, where buffers aren't reset when quitting to main menu / starting new game.

5. anatoliy

I forgot to add Concentrated Search.

When Concentrated Search is made, there will be no roll. In fact it is Take 20 without passing time.
    So if PC has +4 in Search Skill, roll result will be 24=20+4.

6. Shiningted

Correct. Hence the DCs tend to be in the 20s (or 30s if it is for something late game). Pick Lock is the same (take 20), but Disarm Traps rolls, since you could fail and set off the trap.

anatoliy likes this.
  7. anatoliy

The funny thing - in vanilla that Take 20 roll produces history item, but does not print it. I just enabled the print and instead of Search it says Spellcraft))

upload_2021-6-3_15-31-10.png

8. Episaga

Episaga Member

I am having a different issue. None of the secret doors are showing up, at all! I have played through the game a few times now, so thankfully I have a good idea where to go, but getting a certain skull is rather hard when you can not interact with the secret door. I can dimension door but....

9. Shiningted

Surely we fixed this long long ago? Episaga, what version are you playing? Co8 mod with New Content?

Our Host!