Scribing and Crafting Fixes

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Mar 8, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It would be neat to know specifically which spells don't have scrolls available to scribe. I think the Co8 implementation of scrolls for our custom spells is somewhat spotty.

2. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Re: Creating a Spell Spreadsheet

On the last point, do you mean which spells do not have scrolls that exist as items, or which spells are not scribable via the Scribe Scrolls feat properly?

3. Gaear

They would basically be the same thing ... there are no instances of them in-game, and they can't be scribed. The reason for this is that the protos for the scrolls were never created. e.g., in order to scribe a scroll of Owl's Wisdom, there has to be a proto for it in-game (which there is). Likewise to add one to a vendor's inventory.

4. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

So, to be clear, the existence of a number in description.mes does not guarantee the existence of a proto? Could what you're asking for be tested simply by trying to create all the scrolls via the console?

5. Gaear

If it's in description.mes, chances are 99% that its proto exists as well. You could attempt to create all the scrolls in-game for a reality-based test, but it's probably not necessary. Just assembling a list of all known spells and looking for corresponding scroll proto entries (or listings in description.mes) would work as well. If they're not there, they need to be created.

6. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Well, I already have the list of known spells (that's the whole point of the spreadsheet, after all :) ). Every single wizard/sorcerer spell, without exception, has a corresponding entry for a scroll in description.mes. So, I guess you can check those off? I'll look into checking the non-wizard spells when I have a chance.

7. Gaear

Okay. That's a bit surprising ... I thought someone was complaining recently about being unable to scribe some high level spells. Thanks though.

8. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Well, I'm on a 7.7.0 playthrough now. When I get high enough level, I'll try actually scribing all the high level wizard scrolls to make sure it works. But the scrolls definitely exist as items.

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

We still seem to be missing a few higher level domain spells for Devine casters.

10. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

So, Gaear, it seems that the problem of not being able to craft scrolls stems not from the lack of existence of those scrolls, but rather from lack of proper entry into item_creation.mes. All the scrolls exist, and have protos.tab entries, but many of them have not been entered into item_creation.mes. So, they both need to be added to the list of craftable scrolls in item_creation.mes, and have their crafting requirement (in this case, just the spell itself), added to the file.

I've started on listing out which ones needed to be added there; will let you know when finished.

11. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

So, there are a total of 20 wizard spells that have an issue with scribing a scroll. 19 of which just aren't there, and another which is mislabeled. In the attached file, I detail what lines need to be added to what in order to fix this, Gaear.

Further, in regards to the earlier problem of Owl's Wisdom not being scribable by a wizard, the same issue applies to Greater Dispel Magic. Changing the class to "class_wizard" in protos.tab DOES indeed fix this problem, so that is all that should need to be done. The codes for those two spells are also in the attached file.

Next, there is a significant issue in that scribing a scroll should require that one be able to cast the spell, not merely that one know it. As it currently stands, level 4 wizards can scribe scrolls of, say, delayed blast fireball, provided they have it in their spellbook. Adding a required caster level for each scroll of the appropriate level (for example C5 for fireball) would mostly remove this exploit, but this would be a pretty big job. If that's something you consider worth doing, I can possibly start on it later down the road.

Finally, a minor but nagging point, is that there are a bunch of inconsistencies in how spell names are written. Specifically, sometimes Greater Dispel Magic is written like that, such as in a spellbook, and other times it is written as Dispel Magic, Greater. In the scroll scribing list, "greater" spells have the comma form, but "mass" spells do not. That sort of thing. Is there any consistent format that you'd like to try and adhere to with these?

EDIT: I haven't yet gotten to checking the non-wizard scrolls, but I'll let you know when I do.

Attached Files:

12. Gaear

Go Rudy! :yes:

To answer address a couple things ...

Yes, I would say it's worth doing if you're up for it. All this stuff, however minor, brings us closer to the state of ToEE purity that we've been striving for since day 1.

Yes, I'd like to go with the comma for for everything mass and greater/lesser related. I can't quite remember atm, but there was a fairly good reason for labeling all those that way, and consistency is a good thing anyway, so ...

[edit]

Rudy, I'm going to repost the stuff from your write-up here and comment so that it is preserved for posterity ...

Fixed, thanks. This fix actually works as it should, e.g. non-wizard scribes can scribe those scrolls too?

This is actually because we changed Suggestion to Dominate Monster, lol (and neglected to update the related item creation stuff), because Suggestion was actually more akin to Dominate Monster and was grotesquely overpowered for a low level spell.

~

Added all the missing scrolls too, thanks. :)

13. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Alright, attached is a zip file. It includes the update of the text file from before, as well as a protos.tab file, since there are two new spell scrolls in there.

In summary:

* Scrolls for Reincarnate and Negative Energy Protection did not exist, so I created them.
    * I checked (I think) all the wizard scrolls, and found two more that need to be changed to class_wizard: True Seeing and Undeath to Death
    * I found about 20 more non-wizard spells which could not be properly scribed for various reasons

So, in total, this should make about 40 more spell scribable which is, I think, all of them. Now have fun with such things as Holy Word and Power Word Kill scrolls.

At the bottom of the text document I summarized what needs to be changed for "easy" reading.

I haven't done any of the proper comma stuff, yet, for greater/lesser/mass. Rather, I just followed the convention that was in item_creation_names.mes already. Won't be too much trouble to do, though.

I know you want to do any final editing to protos.tab yourself (for obvious reasons), but would it be easier for you if I did the edits to item_creation_names.mes and then gave you my copy of that?

As for your question about changing stuff to class_wizard: that entry seems to be only the default class designation for the scroll. Like, if you create the scroll via the console it has that class designation. However, if a class creates a scroll (and clerics have no trouble creating scrolls marked as class_wizard), then that scroll seems to be marked for that class. I say "seems to be", since all I know for sure is that if a cleric or druid scribes a scroll, that scroll cannot be copied by a wizard, even if it is on his spell list. Which is as it should be.

NOTE: I used the material component cost from RAW for Reincarnate, 1,000 gp, in determining the scroll cost. I know reincarnate is already overpowered since it is just acting like Raise Dead, so I don't know if this cost should be increased.

Attached Files:

14. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Oh, I just realized you already did all the changes from the first one. If you want to wait a bit, I'll make a file with only the new changes since the last one.

15. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Ok, if you've already done all the changes from the first file, here's what else needs to be changed. You'll still need to download the zip for the included protos.tab; the text document in there also includes more explanation for the changes.

protos.tab
    * Copy entries 9373 and 9380 from the included protos.tab (new scrolls for Reincarnate and Negative Energy Protection)
    * Change the entries for the following to class_wizard
    9508 True Seeing
    9656 Undeath to Death

description.mes
    * Change {9046}{Scroll of Call Lightening} to {9046}{Scroll of Call Lightning}
    * add the lines:
    {9373}{Scroll of Negative Energy Protection}
    {9380}{Scroll of Reincarnate}

item_creation.mes
    * Add the lines:
    {9373}{"SNegative Energy Protection"}
    {9380}{"SReincarnation"}
    {9060}{"SMass Inflict Moderate Wounds"}
    {9063}{"SMass Inflict Serious Wounds"}
    {9064}{"SMass Inflict Critical Wounds"}
    {9221}{"SMass Cure Light Wounds"}
    {9481}{"SSummon Natures Ally VI"}
    {9482}{"SSummon Natures Ally VII"}
    {9483}{"SSummon Natures Ally VIII"}
    {9484}{"SSummon Natures Ally IX"}
    {9666}{"SHarm"}
    {9694}{"SHeroes' Feast"}
    {9695}{"SBlasphemy"}
    {9696}{"SHoly Word"}
    {9697}{"SMiracle"}
    {9698}{"SWarp Wood"}

* Add the following numbers to the list on the line beginning with {2}:
    9373 9380 9060 9063 9064 9221 9481 9482 9483 9484 9666 9694 9695 9696 9697 9698 9201 9248 9545 9557 9686

item_creation_names.mes
    * change {9061}{circle of doom} to {9061}{mass inflict light wounds}
    * change {9221}{healing circle} to {9221}{mass cure light wounds}
    * Add the lines:
    {9373}{negative energy protection}
    {9380}{reincarnate}
    {9060}{mass inflict moderate wounds}
    {9063}{mass inflict serious wounds}
    {9064}{mass inflict critical wounds}
    {9481}{summon nature's ally VI}
    {9482}{summon nature's ally VII}
    {9483}{summon nature's ally VIII}