Say NO to thread necromancy

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Daniel, Oct 2, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Daniel

Daniel Established Member

Re: Evil sucks. Plus, is otis supposed to be a homlet sympathiser?

:aaaa: :aaaa: :aaaa:

you nailed it (I play paladins all the time!). I relate more to the heroic side, but once you've beaten the game, you like to try a different spin, as if you were playing some sort of sequel... I can play chaotic evil then, just for fun, without feeling related anymore/ without roleplaying. It's just a complex arcade game then...

As for evil plots, unless you are an evil priest with an agenda for his deity, I would much better picture your basic thug that wants to become the big boss around and will destroy anything in his path, with might making right... the temple, and the moathouse, are basically great real estate for free at swordtip, and if on top of that trolls and ogres can be subdued to become your own personal private army... I don't see why deities should necessarily be part of it. Unless it bugs them that some mortal has seized their little temple heh heh...

* Paladins know that them evil bastards always end up with a knife in the back * :dance:

edit: am I excavating old topics or what? :blahblah:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Necromancy is a dangerous hobby. :yes:

3. Daniel

Daniel Established Member

should I change my name to Nick the Romancer? :drunk:

4. Gamoc

Gamoc Member

I think the Evil alignments should have a decent storyline. There's no point in adding the option to be evil if there's not gonna be a decent storyline, and evil is fun anyway.

It's good to be bad ;)
    (and I know that from experience)

5. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  6. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

Re: Evil sucks

The fact is this: as most will know, you play a good character, or party, and fight evil as this is what the game or milieu demands. But the evil did not come from NOWHERE. It grew, developed, arose and became powerful. It became a threat. All things bad do not "just appear". They hid, waited, became what they are. In fact, I make a case that the evil element is MORE important than good. A good party or person can help the poor, feed the masses...... But the evil party connives, kills, tortures, rapes, pillages to higher levels, wealth and power. This is not to say they are stupid or carless, just evil.

I lament that TOEE is so good biased. Please don't point out that it was written that way; I have been a D+D'er for 25 years. But at least give the option and let me decide.

But if any further modding becomes such evil is manditory or favoured, then excellent. I cannot wait.

7. grinner666

grinner666 Member

WARNING: I'm about to foolishly post a reply to an 18 month old post. Reading may result in headache, nausea, hot flashes or diarrhea. Continue at your own risk!

Uhhhmmmm ... who cares?

Honestly. Who cares? By the time you get around to killing Lodriss, the only thing you should have to worry about is whether doing so will cause your Paladin to fall (it will) ... assuming you have one. The pirates who attack you (no USEFUL character ... merchants and the like ... will) are basically nothing but XPs on the hoof by that time. :evil:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2006
  8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

fuck up noOB, what you're quoting is 17 months old, did you think that someone who's been around as long as he has and actually makes mods wouldn't have figured it out by now? learn some respect.

9. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

He's trolling, Cuj. Maybe one of the Moderators will wrangle his ass.

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Just for the record, I figured out how to do it at least a year and a half ago.

11. StrontiumDog

StrontiumDog Established Member

I'm having the opposite problem. I like playing evil-aligned parties, and TOEE makes it far too lucrative to play them. So far, I've always had massive XP gains by slaughtering the whole of Hommlet and most of Nulb after completing the DH quest-(I usually take the shrotcut, bypassing most of the Temple to do the DH Quest). Mother Screng doesn't react to the slaughter nor does the Oriental Herbalist so I can still carry on selling items, though once the staff of life is bought and all magical items I need are created, I usually kill those two as well.

So my problem is that, as a good-aligned or neutral-aligned party, I can't very well kill everyone I see, as I like to do faithful roleplaying of alignments - this means that I'm therefore always very low in XP gains with a good-aligned party, compared to when I use a NE-aligned party. The other consideration is that with a CN, NG, or CG-aligned party I would, more or less, feel obliged to use Fraggarach, which makes the game far too easy.

It might be interesting if more alignment-oriented mods were introduced, so as to make up for the large drop in XP.

For my part, I think TOEE is a massive improvement for those who wish to play evil-aligned parties. In Baldur's Gate and similiar AD&D games, it often broke the game if you killed an innocent or good-aligned person, as they were usually the ones to give you quests etc. And Xp gains in those past games were derisory if you chose the evil path. Also, there were ridiculous circumstances where players would choose good-aligned parties, so as to get a paladin, who then used their good-aligned thieves to rob innocents, which made no sense, role-playing-wise.

Anyway, now that games like San Andreas Fault(?) are catering to those who also wish to -play as criminals etc., things are slowly improving.

HI heartily agree with the idea that the Scarlet Brotherhood could be joined with, for a more develeoped evil option. Also, since the deity Tharizdun features in the sequel "Return To The Temple of Eelemental Evil", one could align with that faction instead.

Our Host!