Rule Conflicts in the Help file

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by marc1967, Aug 5, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

I was wondering if a difference in any rule between the 3.5 RAR and how it works in TOEE should be included to the Help system as a side-bar. Often times, a rule from the core books works differently in TOEE, and can be confusing if you are reading the Help.

As an example, the text for Heavy Crossbow as taken from the PHB 3.5 and as it appears in the Help system says:
    "You draw a heavy crossbow by turning a small winch. Loading a heavy crossbow is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity."​

The actuality in TOEE is that, (1) The reload process for the heavy crossbow happens automatically between rounds (http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8401) and (2) Does not provoke an AOE.

So, would it be appropriate to add a note saying these fact after the description? Something like "That is how the rule is written, but in TOEE it works like this...". Or would it be better to change the main text itself to reflect how it works in TOEE?

The idea here is not to flag these differences as bugs to be reported and fixed, but just to inform the player perusing the Help of an existing core difference for that rule between the real game and TOEE.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I think it should be ToEE reality, and in fact a lot of long descriptions have been altered that way already.

3. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

Yeah, I noticed that the weapons in long_descriptions.mes were overhauled for 8.1.0. They are now more generic like "Melee Weapon | A medium sized metal axe that can be wielded with one or two hands.", instead of a random (often inconsistent) flavor description about the composition or lore of the weapon.

Adding the Size and Material composition of each weapon, as well as the Melee/Ranged differentiation is a nice addition too, and more useful than the flavor I imagine, so overall a major improvement.

Are plans to do the same for Armor, Clothing, Magic Items in the works too?

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I think I did some armor and clothing, but it's a big job overall. Sadly there's no unified resource to just cut and paste the info from.

Our Host!