Resting and disease contraction

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by William_2, Jan 18, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. William_2

William_2 Member

Hello,

I've played through TOEE using the three Atari patches, and recently switched to the Co8 patch by reinstalling Atari Two followed by Co8 4. Lots of enjoyable differences. I'm a little bemused by how hard the chests in the Moathouse are to open now, but that isn't what I'm writing to ask about.
    What I have encountered for the first time is the very high tendency to contract disease while resting, anywhere. My characters are picking up the Red Ache like there is no tomorrow; the first time, I paid for some healing, chalked it up to a slightly interesting tweak, and continued. But now I am getting the impression that disease contraction while resting is going to be absolutely chronic.

Has anyone else found this to be a problem? Is there a reason other than resting that is triggering it for my group? Is there some reason why this would be added to the game?

Thanks very much for any help - the mod seems great, and the forum is really useful as well.

Cheers!

2. maalri

maalri Immortal

Yes, this Mod is Very, very good. And the forum is a great boon to all who play- but I think this thread should be moved over to the Temple of Elemental Evil forum, instead of the General Modification one.

3. maalri

maalri Immortal

But to actually answer your post... :)

The chests in the Moathouse (and other chests and traps elsewhere) use the "Take 20" rule from 3.5 rules. Which is to say thier difficulty is at least 20, but probably 30+ and your charcter doesn't actually roll when attempting to disarm/open, the "Take 20". They just add 20 to their skill score for that particular skill- and yes here is where developing a good rogue is handy! And the use of spells like Fox's cunning, Cat's Grace, Heroism, and Guidance help a lot too.

I have never had a problem with contracting diseases, in my 3 run-thrus (still on 3rd) and I haven't heard it mentioned on the boards yet either, but try the "Search" function at the top of the screen and type in diseases there. Also I am trying to get this post moved so you will get a lot more responses in the right forum

Happy Playing! :)

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

There is a certain item that brings on the disease. If you have it, then you've got it.

Hint: this disease is a fungal infestation.

It has nothing to do with sheep or brothels, either. ;)

5. William_2

William_2 Member

Thanks for moving the thread, if that is needed. The line between mod questions and general ones didn't jump out at me. I am pretty sure that this is mod-related. At any rate, thanks.

Lord_Spike: Ah. Thanks very much! I had considered that, and had dumped one item with no luck. Will try the correct one instead.

I'm still confused as to why this happens. I carried the item on two previous occasions without this problem. Alignment? Or simply something added with the mod? Also, it isn't affecting the actually carrier, so to speak. This is just curiosity at this point, though.
    Thanks very much for the tip, as it is a real nuisance!

Cheers

6. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

You could just be a victim of the Mersenne Twister. That's the games random number generator. Every time you rest (while not in an Inn or a residence) a disease check is made. If you have a low CON, or the Twister hates you, you are more likely to get a disease. AFAIK no one has tinkered with the catching of diseases in the game.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Global Moderator

Give me time ;)

Disease also comes from getting fanged by rats in the moathouse, or ticks I suspect, or fighting in swamps (theoretically). It has to incubate though - resting takes care of that - so by the time you get it you might have forgotten fighting some vermin in a random encounter many hours back.

8. William_2

William_2 Member

Excellent points. I find that the diseases from creatures usually announce themselves promptly, even during the combat, but perhaps not all do. I had no idea there was always a chance of contracting disease! I had not had any in two previous run-throughs.
    In this particular case, a certain item does indeed seem to have been causing my group's troubles. Alignment might also have been a factor, I don't know.

Thanks, all!

9. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Those must be some rats..."death awaits you with big nasty pointy teeth..."

Better get that thing from Antioch, first.

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Surely rusty weapons should also cause diseases? (they don't, but they should - tetinus anyone?) I derive some sick plasure out of poisoning foes with the small viper familiar recently, giving them diseases too, now that would be fun. ;)

Our Host!