Recruiting Four Regular Players

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Aug 24, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

In yet another attempt to try to determine and document progress (or the lack thereof) on the Lag and Jerkstop fronts, I'd like to recruit four persons to be 'Lagstop Stewards.'

Requirements:

• You have to be a community veteran to some extent.
    • You have to play the game with our new modpacks regularly.
    • Whenever you do play, you have to report on your findings re: lag and jerkstop in the appropriate General Modification threads.

Lag
      Jerkstop

What I will not expect from you:

Anything. This will not be a 'you must do this and that' routine. It's nothing more than that you agree to faithfully report what you experience when playing the modpack. If you don't play, don't say anything and no one will yell at you. If you do play, report what you find and no one will yell at you or ask you to do anything that feels like work.

There are already two members on the list whether they want to be or not: sirchet and gazra_1971. (Thanks, guys. ;)) I'm looking for two more. If you registered yesterday, don't volunteer. If you are gearing up to play some other game or some other mod and probably won't return to Co8 until February 2013, don't volunteer. I'm looking for reliable people who I know are going to be around, not people with generally good intentions who will fall out after two weeks. Sorry to be a d*ck about that but it does us absolutely no good when people volunteer for things and then don't show up.

What I hope to achieve with this is something that has been elusive with all other attempts to work with these problems, namely to measure progress reliably. That's it. I know four people will be a rather small sample, but larger controlled groups have failed, and the general public generally fails becuase people normally only say something when something's wrong, not when something's right, but it's hard to conclude from a lack of reports that everything is hunky-dory. So hopefully, with four people reporting steadily, we will at least know what is going on with those four people explicitly.

Please volunteer here and I will screen you and add you to the list if you are approved.

Lagstop Stewards:

1. sirchet
    2. gazra_1971
    3. Hugh_Manetee
    4. shapecharge
    5. sonofliberty

2. woolysockofdoom

woolysockofdoom Member

Newbie here with a question which hopefully isn't too far off topic. I have experienced a bug where sometimes from area transitions to the Hommlet exterior I cannot move my characters. I am able to fix this by using the world map to transition elsewhere and come back. Is this jerkstop or related to jerkstop, or just some weird occurrence.?

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Hi woolysockofdoom and welcome to the forum.

The issue you are speaking of sounds as if it may in fact be jerk-stop, although this thread is really for recruiting testers and receiving test results from said testers.

I think you might want to post your question in the 7.3.3 bug thread, (7.3.3 being the version of the mod).

btw ... we're not fooled by your name, your avatar shows us that you may actually be a very famous miniature giant space hamster. ;)

4. shapecharge

shapecharge Established Member

I currently have alot of time on my hands Friday-Sundays, I am working up in Denver right now and during the weekends usually I just stick around my hotel room relaxing and playing TOEE anyways so I would be happy to help out...I do want to mention though that Mon-Thurs I put in alot of hard and physical hours so I am usually back to hotel, eat, shower, Bed and back up again at 430 am. So I can really only offer 3 days a week, but I can easily give 4-6 good quality hours to testing and reporting back each of those days.
    So if my weekends can help you (Gaear), and the rest of the mod team out, be happy too.

5. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Ok I'll give you a hand, sign me up.
    I'll start a new game tonight.

6. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

I would be willing to help out, if I am not too new. I plan to start a new full campaign as soon as 7.4 comes out. That should be in a couple of days, right?

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Tomorrow actually. (So Hugh, you might as well wait until that release to start reporting.)

Okay, we will accept all three of you, but let me repeat that I would very much still like to be hearing from each of you come, say, December 2012, May 2013, etc. ...

Again, no formal requirements, just please report your findings in the appropriate threads linked above on as regular a basis as you are able.

Thanks, guys. :)

8. sirchet

OK, I'll try but I seem to have the hardest time putting things in the right thread. :p

9. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

I hear and obey.

10. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Tomorrow? That's great! I look forward to trying the new verbobonc content.

11. shapecharge

I am in and you should get a report every week

12. shapecharge

Well I have started my labor day weekend so gives me an extra day to test the lag and jerkstop,
    Hopefully if MODDB gets it posted by the end of the day I figure I can get a party going this weekend and make a beeline for the Fire Temple level two to test the lag issues there (if any).
    Figure even if I am underlevel I don't have to win the battle to test the lag (since that is the goal not my party development), so I will save right before entering and give it like three battle test runs and see if I have consistent results with the possible lag. (this should be complete by monday if 7.4 gets posted by tommorow).
    After that if I will go do the arena and hickory branch to build some levels then return to the fire temple with some higher level spells and area effect spells to see if they effect the lag, I should then easily win the battle then I will head to the Nodes to test the lag.

Gaear and experinced guys like Sirchet; Is this what you are looking for, I have never gamed with my focus being geared strictly towards testing before so want to make sure I am giving you guys the feedback you need to help you.

13. sirchet

Your plan sounds good, or you could just play the way you always do and just pay close attention for any lag or jerkstop issues.

Even though you are testing and helping out, you're still required to have fun doing it.

It's not an option, have fun ... or the TOEE police will come for you. :)

14. shapecharge

LoL....you don't want me to play like I usually do Sirchet or you will never get feedback from me, since I am a very strict Ironman player and even if a guy(s) die I never go back to an old save (and if the party dies I start over), they either get ressurected or dumped and then I don't use restoration to gain back experince if they get ressurected, keeps my levels down and the challenge up and allows me to do alot of the new content without getting to over powered.
    I have been playing the COE NC for a couple of years now since about 5. something and I still have never completed a game and there is still stuff in the game I have never done, for me it keeps it fresh and I know there are still surprises for me.
    So I think I will give the weekends towards my test party (I'll even name them Guinea pig 1-6)
    and if I got an hour or so avaliable after work before I hit the sack during the week I will let that be my normal play style party.

Don't worry I will still have fun, there is always a party going on in my head even if no one else is invited.

15. sirchet

Wow, I see your point.

Myself I approach TOEE in a half hazard relaxed manner, allowing myself mistakes as I go and such.

I get waaaaaay to much of the "you died and that's it" from my DM durring our PnP sessions and the Fantasy Grounds II sessions.

But I bet it's pretty exciting when you are able to win a battle even with a few of your team out for the count. ;)

Our Host!