Recomendations on creating the perfect Paladin character

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by DarkStar70, Aug 12, 2021.

Remove all ads!
  1. DarkStar70

DarkStar70 Member

I have noticed many people have started using the fighter class for the first 4 levels of your character (for additional bonus feats) before switching to a paladin.

Besides bonus feats, what other benefits would this combination provide ??

Also, if you were using the pre-generated Paladin character Alhandra, which feats would you use to her maximum potential ?

2. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

If you are using extra classes/races from Temple+, then the Asimar 2 Paladin/ x Favored soul combo gets fairly silly (in terms of power curve).

As for the 4 levels of fighter, the early and variety of helpful feats are the main boosts:

• Cleave (quite useful at the beginning)
    • Weapon specialization (far more mileage than smite a lower levels, but also overshadowed by a simple holy weapon such as holy longsword...)
    • Improved Trip (I find this fun)
    • Various bow skills
    • more misc useful skills such as Combat reflexes, weapon focus, improved initiative, etc.

In fact, in ToEE you really only get much out of 2-3 levels of paladin. IIRC, the Aura of Courage doesn't work on allies, but the fear immune is useful on the paladin for things like the Balor.

For a pure paladin like Alhandra (14/8/12/10/13/15) I personally would probably go fighter after lvl3 paladin. Her charisma is mostly same league as her strength and strength is a better stat to build at this point. She's human for no xp penalty. Also, you can't go back to paladin after taking a new class.

However, if you were to go full paladin:
    she starts with wf longsword and improved initiative. (holy LS ftw)
    power attack(3)
    cleave(6)
    (9+) depends what you like. Her stats are fairly restrictive. You could grab Divine Might just for RP fun, but it will be mostly impractical with 15 charisma compared to the crazy damage the holy LS is doing. Maybe Great Cleave for the rare extra cleaves?

Edit: I forgot to mention you could also go Pal 2/ Sorcerer x and just put all stats into charisma. But that would be more of a caster than a smiter.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  3. DarkStar70

DarkStar70 Member

Thanks for the tip. If you adjust the Temple + config file an increase the maximum level, will your characters earn a feat at level 12 or is the feat options end at 9th level ?

4. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

They continue past 9.

5. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

The T+ increased level cap gives stat points every 4 levels and feats every 3 levels just as is 3.5 RAW.

Paladins are affected by the problem that most non-casting classes have in ToEE: Their best benefits are in their first 2 class levels. As mentioned in a PM to you, the only unique selling points of a Paladin in ToEE are Paladin2 for +CHA to saves (which you can get the approximate equivalent of with a +5 saves item and save yourself 2 levels) and the holy sword spell, which can mostly be repilcated by being a Cleric (usually of Pelor or Kord) with the Good domain. For example, a Human Cleric7 of Pelor (Good & Strength domains)/Paladin2 gets you the most important Paladin class features, and you can still cast magic circle and forge Holy Weapons. Keep progressing Cleric from here.

If you want to dip Paladin, go Paladin2 with SorcererX or Favored SoulX. Paladin2/Sor6/Eldritch KnightX is painfully 3 class levels in casting behind a full Sor (meaning 1.5 spell levels) and 4 class levels behind a Wizard (meaning 2 spell levels). In ToEE, I don't think that's worthwhile, but maybe you do. (Similarly, I don't think Paladin2/WarmageX is worthwhile considering Sor is available and gives you better casting options, but maybe you do.)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
Our Host!