Read Magic?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ConjurerDragon, Feb 3, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Established Member Supporter

After finding lots of scrolls and potions my Sorceror started to cast Read Magic to identify them all. Without me first noticing she went out of Cantrips / day to cast - but the spell still worked and the number of 1st level spells was reduced by 1.

Trying again I could cast Read Magic again and again despite having 0 left in 0-level spells and each time the 1st level spells number was lowered by 1.

Is it correct that Read Magic works to identify Potions too? Or is that just for convenience but nothing in the normal D&D rules?

Are Sorcerors really capable of casting more lowerlevel spells by using higherlevel spellslots? Or is that only in ToeE?

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I think the borrowing from higher level slots is normal, isn't it? I'm not a rules lawyer but doubtless someone will know. I'm pretty sure this is normal ToEE behavior, at any rate.

Yes, Read Magic identifies potions. That is actually not RAW, but it was one of the very first mods Co8 ever did, in response to players going nuts over paying 100gp to identify every potion of CLW. It's a shining example imo of an innovation that is entirely legit as regards PnP D&D vs. CRPGs.

3. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Yes, sorcerers can use higher leveled spell slots to cast lower leveled spells. This is standard in 3.5.

4. maalri

maalri Immortal

In relation to this, aren't druids supposed to be able to spontaneously cast summon spells and cleric of Good alignment healing spells?

I cannot find the thread that discusses how to do it, if it is even implemented in ToEE. Can some one point me the way?

5. Number99

Number99 kicking Iuz

I believe for a cleric to cast the healing spells instead ot those memorized, you have to push the shift button.

6. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Exactly. Find the spell you wish to replace with summon/healing on the radial menu, push shift and select.

7. maalri

maalri Immortal

Does that work for Druids and Summoning as well?

All hard core Druid players will insist that Druids are NOT Clerics, so I cannont take the above answer as all inclusive...

8. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Yes- shift & click for all spontaneous divine casting substitutions.

9. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Yes, your good clerics should never memorize a healing spell. Go with something else and convert them as needed. Same for Druids and summoning spells.

On a side note, evil clerics convert to harm spells.

10. maalri

maalri Immortal

Sweet, all these years and I couldn't get them to work. I am so happy now!

Thanks for the great information, guys!

Our Host!