Raise Dead Scroll not working?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by maalri, Feb 18, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. maalri

maalri Immortal

OK, so why can't my 9th level War Cleric use a Raise Dead Scroll?

2. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

No idea. I assume his wisdom is 15 or higher? I've never had a problem using the Raise Dead scrolls in the game.

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The way the game deals with scrolls, wands and potions is really funky, let me explain...

1) it is the item that casts the spell - not the caster.
    2) if the user of the item is the same class as the spell used by the item, the spell works properly.
    3) items that cast spells as "special_domain" spells (instead of "class_cleric" etc...) work for NPC's.

4. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

Though I couldn't help but notice, they sometimes seem to use the user's parameters, even when they shouldn't. For example, a scroll or potion of Cure Light Wounds should cure 1d8+1 damage every time. But if a character without cleric levels uses it, sometimes it only cures 1 point of damage, and it never cures 9; while if a character with more than one cleric (or druid, or bard) level uses it, it often cures more than 9 points and never cures only 2. It seems to me it must be adding the USER'S relevant class levels, instead of its own.

Known bug?

(Not that this explains the original poster's problem, at least not as far as I can see.)

5. maalri

maalri Immortal

Thanks guys- It IS possible that this cleric has only a 15 Wisdom (using an Average-Joe party) and I presume that an Amulet of Wisdom would not help? Since the stupid thing doesn't let my clerics get higher level spells, I am not sure what good it is, other than skill checks help.

Or it could be that it wasn't designed for his domain. Either one gives me at least a couple of good reasons why something wasnt working that should have been!

Thanks again y'all

6. Allyx

Ok maybe I should have explained it better, but that is exactly what I'm talking about...
    the item casts the spell, but still uses the user's "caster level" to determine certain effects, if the user has no caster levels then you just get the basic effects (EG cure light wounds would cure 1d6 damage, cure moderate would cure 2d6 ect...), it also explains the reason why bugbears who drink potions of bulls strength have the effect wear off on thier next turn (duration = caster level X 10 rounds, caster level of the bugbears is 0, so... 0 X 10 = 0 rounds) the way around it as I (probably inadequately) described above is to change the item's caster type from regular classes to the domain_special caster type (used for spell like effects) doing this will make the spell work at the spell level spcified in protos.tab (EG 'Magic Missile' domain_special 6 would be cast as a 6th level spell - as if by an 11th level caster).

This method should also bypass the stat requirement for casters to cast spells from scrolls that are of a higher level than they can cast themselves.

7. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Well, the stat requirement should be there. You can't cast a spell from a scroll if you don't have the minimum ability score required. Plus, if the caster's level is lower than the level required to cast the spell, there's supposed to be a chance of a mishap.

ETA: Your cleric's choice of Domains would not restrict his access to normal cleric spells. Domains aren't like a Wizard's school specialization.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  8. Blair

Blair Unwanted Construct

I don't think the mishap possibility was implemented in this system. I experimented with it extensively and pretty much the only penalty for failing to use a scroll properly is... failure to use the scroll properly. (BTW, roll breakdown doesn't even display a caster level check, i.e. for out-of-level Heal scrolls used by a cleric without cap unlock.)

Honestly, now that Allyx has noted what the problem with potions is, I think we should systematically change them all accordingly! The pathetic bugbears were always on my list of "too bad", but non-cleric PCs and NPCs who can't properly benefit from potions is truly sorry! I had always just given up on using them after level 3 or so, figuring that there was something wrong with the item itself... guess there is. :censored:

--Blair
    "No, no, no! How many times do I have to say it: first, eye of newt, THEN wing of bat!"

9. DarkmoonKing

DarkmoonKing Member

Reviving a 20 year old thread because the answer doesn't exist online.

How do I get this damn thing to work? I'm having my cleric with 20 Wisdom use it but it's just not working. Cleric is only level 2 but when she was level 1 I was able to use the Heal scroll on the dude in Hommlet with no issue. This game is getting to a point where it's just not worth the trouble to play, even with all the "fixes" from CO8 and T+.

10. DarkmoonKing

DarkmoonKing Member

Okay, something is clearly broken here. I went to Terjon and paid 750gp for a raise - and it still said resurrection failed???? What the actual hell?!

11. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

I notice you are using T+, is the character you are trying to raise by any chance either an aasimar or a tiefling?

12. Allyx

Oooh, yeah that would do it, those count as Outsiders, not Humanoids.

13. DarkmoonKing

DarkmoonKing Member

thats so dumb lol they're a Human subrace but can't be revived. that would also explain why enlarge person just fizzled. welp, good thing only 5 of my 8 party members are Aasimar :D

14. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

Aasimar and Tieflings are Outsiders with the Native subtype, which means raise dead should work on them just like standard humanoids. I'm almost certain this is a Temple + issue that for some reason has been overlooked for a while.

From the 3.5e SRD:
    "Native Subtype
    A subtype applied only to outsiders. These creatures have mortal ancestors or a strong connection to the Material Plane and can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be. Creatures with this subtype are native to the Material Plane (hence the subtype’s name). Unlike true outsiders, native outsiders need to eat and sleep."

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#nativeSubtype

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/planetouched.htm

Last edited: Aug 6, 2024
  15. Shiningted

Shiningted I changed this damn title, finally! Administrator

That's news to me, Ithildur - I thought they were just Outsiders who couldn't be raised. Heh.

Since Aasimars and Tieflings were introduced by Temple+ sounds like that's the problem, but unless these subtle distinctions are introduced, Raise Dead is almost certainly working as intended, only seeing them broadly as Outsiders, not subtly.

ithildur likes this.
Our Host!