Rabbit Hole and The Prince's Gem

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Abascar, Mar 18, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Abascar

Abascar Member

Ok...I've crawled all over the maps but still cannot find either Zook's Gem (which is supposed to be in the Lord's Castle), nor can I find This Uncle O III that is in the "Rabbit Hole". Where exactly am I supposed to go/look?

2. Ank

Ank Established Member

lower level in the castle of the lords have smb with high search skill comb the stair cases for the secret entrannce .......... tho the actual appropiate quest line would be to solve the drow problem in gnome quarter and from there on let gnomish prince zook point u towards 'uncle O'

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

There is a Game Guide & Walkthrough thanks to gazra_1971.

I find his guide most useful when I just can't wait for someone to answer my question. ;)

Click on the yellow text to go there.

4. Philip

Philip Gruff Warrior

I'm a bit lost.

I found a passage leading from the lower level of the Castle of the Lords before I'd even heard of the Rabbit hole or Uncle Orrengaard, but I don't know if I've got the right passage?

possible spoiler below...
    The passage is a clearly visible doorway that leads to a long series of tunnels, containing nothing but a single, non-hostile rat. It exits at the far end at a secret door into the basement of the ruined church of Pelor

...and so if that's not the right passage, I cannot find it. Is there Another passage I have yet to find ?

5. sirchet

If memory serves me, the rabbit hole is one that you will have to actively search for via the radial menu just like a hidden door.

High-lite the text below to read more.

I'm pretty sure you need to search very near the staircase you're talking about. Search before going down it.

6. Philip

Philip Gruff Warrior

Absolutely can't find the thing. I'm wondering if my game is corrupted, my search skill isn't high enough (it's 13) or I've actually found it already but what I expected to be in there wasn't there.

So there's the main floor of the Castle, the Entrance-level, which is slightly elevated so I'll call it the 1st floor. There there's the 2nd floor with Bedrooms, 3rd floor which is the roof.

Below the Entrance level there's a level with 6 bedrooms which I'll call the Ground floor and below that, the "Basement" where there are some chests and a tunnel leading off to The old Pelor church ruins.

So where the hell is the Rabbit Hole?

Is the Rabbit Hole in fact the long tunnel under the river to the Ruined Church? Or is there something else I am unable to find?

7. EyesOfAsia

EyesOfAsia Member

When you enter the castle basement with a high enough spot skill then you will notice a panel on a wall. You will activate an option to examine the panel and enter the rabbit hole.

8. sirchet

Just a friendly reminder folks, we do have a spoiler system in effect here and you can conceal your spoilers by wrapping a
    tag around it.

spoiling text [/spoilerr]

I added an extra r to the second spoiler so the text would not be hidden.
    When you wrap a spoiler bracket around your text it turns into the same color as the background and folks will not see it unless they high-lite the area.

9. relic

relic Established Member

Phillip, you need to really boost your Search skill. A lot of different ways to do this via spell.

10. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

I've got a Rogue with a search skill of 20 (30 if I'm wearing the Robe of Eyes) but I can't find the switch on the lowest level of the staircase. Zook has already given me the quest to find the Jewel but no matter what I do I can't reveal the hidden switch. I have tried the lowest level, the one just above that and have experimented with standing in positions closer and further away from the place I recall the switch being in 7.2 NC. FYI I'm playing 7.6 NC.

Any ideas?

11. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

What's your Spot skill?

12. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

14. It's not factoring Spot in is it?

13. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

You need Spot to find the switch, not Search. I don't recall the minimum value, but I always max Spot on one of my characters.

14. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

15. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Once again with the reducing this stuff to bites and bits. :no:

Okay, it is indeed Spot, and the marker is 15. So that's why you're not seeing it, twisty. 15 is not an unreasonable skill to expect a balanced rogue in the party to have at level 10 and above, so most people would just have this happen fluidly.

As to why Spot, I think I wanted to spare players the agony of going around the entire castle doing searches. Spot works automatically. Also (more exciting and immersion-breaking meta data here) the game thinks that the panel is a critter, so it will auto-detect it. Presto, your objective is achieved and you can proceed with the game/story instead of crunching numbers.

I understand that some of you are just number people and that's what you love, but I am not that way and I really have no obligation to be that way. So, much of my original content may miss the mark with you - e.g. the Slavers (illegal killing), the castle ghosts (illegal undead), the AoH third battle casters (illegal undead), and various random other cheats that are designed to make things more immersive and exciting for you. Should we get rid of all those things in the interest of reducing the game to a 'pure' dice-fest?

Bottom line is that ToEE is already very RAW thanks mainly to the game engine. So IMO if we apply a skill mildly inappropriately in the interest of expediency or entertainment, we're not really ruining that.

Our Host!