Quick questions about TOEE and build !

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by alessio92, Mar 15, 2023.

Remove all ads!
  1. alessio92

alessio92 Member

Hi everybody and thanks in advance for your disposability, recently I have found out the HUGE work you guys did on TOEE and i decided to give the game a run.
    Before to start i really need to ask some question but on the other hand i don't know anybody to bother except you.

My questions are:

1) Atm i run the CO8 mod and the Temple+ mod. I would like to have the most complete experience as possible, i discovered some Sagenlicht mods (spell compendium ad some classes/feats). Are these a solid addition to co8 and temple+? Are there any other mods you suggest me to download?

2)I have passed 3 days working on my party ad i decided to run something like this:
    - beguiler 1/wizard 4 / X Ultimate Magus with practiced spellcaster (does it work here?)
    -ranger 2/warrior X as a TWF
    -the arcane trickster/assassin build i found here
    -battle cleric with divine metamagic on quicken spell, possibly 1 feat for crafting
    -barb 2/warrior X spike chain opportunity attack build

i have a 6th slot i would dedicate to a monk. I started as a cleric to reach divine power, then i will go for monk. Is a dex+wis monk, so TWF and flurry with a light weapon and weapon finesse. As i read divergent opinion on this kind of build, i would like to have some advice :)

tnx very much!

2. WickedPrince

WickedPrince Member

Hm, looks like nobody else saw your thread. Unfortunately I can't offer hard answers, but I can offer some advice.
    1) The extra mods may be problematic. They might add to the experience, but the more mods you are running the more they will interfere with each other and cause problems. Like the saying goes though: your millage may vary.

2) character builds. Even patched there are a variety of things that weren't actually implemented. A big one I know of is that circles of protection (from evil, etc) don't work at all, they don't even protect the person you cast them on. And you will need this protection at some points. So saying that I don't know if practiced spellcaster is implemented or works (according to this thread it works - https://co8.org/community/threads/practiced-spellcaster.13067/ . Ranger/Fighter - note that Ranger's combat style requires them to wear light or no armor. If you are looking for a TWF heavy armor tanky fighter you are better off to just go fighter and take the feats - on the other hand having a skilled ranger is handy as you do a lot of wilderness travel. Not sure on the arcane trickster/assassin, but if you found it here it's probably good. Cleric: You absolutely need their god to be one that has Good or Evil as a domain - and have your cleric take that domain. Protection from (good/evil) are a must by endgame. And it would be wise to have your cleric take craft weapons if they have the good domain as you can make Holy weapons as needed - I've never tried the evil cleric route though so it may not work as needed. Spiked-chain wielder - I did this (with a different build) on my last play-thru and it worked fine, though I didn't bother even trying tripping.

Sorry that I can't offer anything more solid. I'm gearing up to try another run at the game myself.

3. alessio92

alessio92 Member

Soooo tnx very much for your kindness!
    At the end I have had my first run with co8 and temple plus!

I picked up the war and the destruction domain unfortunately, I hope it won’t affect too much the game ahah.

my ranger will be much more a dps than a tank I think!
    What about the cleric7/monk11 build?

tnx very much for your disposability

August likes this.
  4. WickedPrince

WickedPrince Member

It mostly depends on if your party can get away with simply using the very few Holy weapons you'll find. Note that besides the +1 holy longsword you might find inside Hommlet if you do all the town quests; all the holy weapons in-game require exotic weapon proficiency or are two-handed weapons - or both. Otherwise you are better off to re-roll the cleric; there are a few enemies near end-game that can only be harmed by holy weapons. And all (that I can remember) have unbelievably high spell-resistance so your casters almost certainly can't touch them. If your casters have spell penetration and greater spell penetration they have a very slim chance of getting through - maybe 5-15% at best if they are a single-class caster. And you have to defeat ALL to win. Additionally almost everything (barring some normal or giant animals) you fight in the entire module is evil; so holy weapons will do 2d6 extra damage, this can give your party a definite edge through the toughest battles. Oh, with the cleric/monk - you will absolute need good healing. 1 or two levels of monk may be ok, but you want as many cleric levels to use the higher level cures as possible. I thought I'd try the same idea as you with a cleric/monk and well before end-game my party was suffering badly because of the limited number of weak healing spells we had - even with an npc druid you can get from a Hommlet quest for additional healing. I'm trying to not give you any spoilers but to help make sure you can complete the game. Having said that though there is a quest chain in Hommlet that starts with a feud between two brothers, resolving this will eventually open things up so a male PC (with a charisma of 16) can marry one of the brother's daughters = who starts as a L1 druid; and the kicker is that her wedding dowry is a +1 holy longsword. It is I believe the only holy 1-handed weapon in the game so your twf ranger will want it. Note that casting Eagle's Splendor on the guy that is wooing her first can work if he has a base charisma of 12+. Also if you don't want any npcs in the party you can leave her at home and she doesn't especially mind, but she does get a few funny lines if you do take her - and druids are great utility casters = cure spells + summons are great. One of the horrible bugs in the base game without CO8 is that npcs grab all sorts of stuff, and won't ever sell it - but the stuff you gave them to help them out they'll sell the first time you talk to a vendor. CO8 fixes that though so you can use them as additional pack mules to carry treasure.

5. August

August Established Member

There was a big change recently to how file structures inside mods work, and basically right now a lot of Sagenlicht's work doesn't, well, work.

Practiced Spellcaster works great. :)

Gonna try a Swashbuckler 3/Rogue 4/Assassin with the spiked chain soon and see how it feels. With the Daring Outlaw feat the Swashbuckler levels will count for sneak attack dice.

6. alessio92

alessio92 Member

Ok! Tnx very much for your answers!

1) mmm I see, the holy weapon problem is important! Will seriously think about reroll one of my clerics but the idea of starting again the game give me headache ahaha.
    2) I will certainly follow the city quests line to obtain the +1 holy long sword!
    3) in the ultimate magus build there’s the space for spell penetration, and greater spell penetration I think, let’s see what I can do
    4) talking about mods okay, I’m currently run co8 and temple+ and there’s a lot of choice ahah.

thanks very much! Let’s see what happens!

7. WickedPrince

WickedPrince Member

August Ok, thanks for the info. I played last about 3-4 years ago so I haven't seen the newest updates.

Our Host!