Questions about the Assassination of Lodriss quest

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Chad878262, Jun 4, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Chad878262

Chad878262 Member

I am playing a good party and tell her about the assassination plans. Then when I talk to Skole he attacks (predictably), but then the entire bar joins in, which causes me to kill Lodriss and get the assassin rep. Is there a reason that Lodriss and the pirates and the village people all attack when I fight Skole and his goon?

Thanks,
    Chad

2. biobaba

biobaba Member

I believe even though the whole bar gets into "fighting mode" you are only supposed to kill Sokle himself and he's body guard-The guy standing to the right from Sokle. Other than those two you should not kill anyone else in there.
    As long as you killed Sokle and hes buddy then the battle should end afterwards.

3. Chad878262

Chad878262 Member

Well one of two things keeps happening... Either Lodriss attacks the body guard and he kills her (still giving me credit by labelling me her assassin. Or if I surround the guard she comes after me... Either way, when I kill the guard my cleave attack sometimes takes her out... Hold or Charm person work or would she be hostile from then on?

thanks,
    Chad

4. Chad878262

Chad878262 Member

Ok, I just did the conversation with Skole and started the fight through dialogue... Cast hold person on his thug so he couldn't smack Lodriss... But when I killed Skole and his thug Lodriss and the pirates came after me anyway... Oh well the quest is complete as soon as you give her the gem as evidence so I don't need to kill them... It was more a desire to rid the world of a couple extra evil-doers...

Thanks,
    Chad

5. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I've seen this happen before. I have no idea what causes it. Normally fighting Skole will not bring Lodriss and the rest of the bar into the fray, but sometimes things get bugged. What patches are you running?

6. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

A different tack...

Have you tried using non-lethal combat on the folks you don't want to kill? You may still have to hold somebody or other to keep them from killing the wrong person. Might give you a different result.

7. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

@ Spike, non-lethatl damage doesn't stop NPC's from going hostile again next time you enter the area, but it would prevent unwanted reputations/quests from activating when they die.

8. Chad878262

Chad878262 Member

I followed the sticky directions and am running official patch 1 & 2, the Co8 patches with front end and portrate/voice pacs. Like I said, no big deal, I moved on, can't kill all the bad guys, then we would all be out of jobs (or after work time wasters, aka video games, as the case may be...)

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

From my experience, if you talk with Skole where even Skole only just mentions the assassination job of Lodriss as a target and the assassination job is turned down, any melee combat afterwards in the boatman tavern will include everyone, pirates + lodriss + Skole & goon, and there is nothing to prevent that from happening short of a new update for that quest.

[EDIT] If you are going to kill the regular patrons in the boatman tavern, make sure you complete other Nulb quests including the Nulb quest - Grud's Fish Story, prior to killing the characters in the boatman tavern.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  10. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I've been able to get Skole to ask me to assassinate Lodriss, then rat him out to Lodriss and then have him initiate combat with me the next time I talk to him and be able to kill him without the rest of the bar joining in the vast majority of the time. Every once in awhile, though, it's happened as it is happening to Chad without me doing anything differently.

Just like I've had times where I've gone to brawl with Tolub, had no magical effects or items running, and had him accuse me of cheating and the whole bar attacks.

11. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Nice one Sitra :) You posted this in the CMF thread? That way when next update gets done all the modders will be using this for compatibility ;)

12. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Woow... how the hell did I miss that? This must go
    to the CMF submissions thread.

13. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I've moved Sitra's tavern fixes post to the CMF submissions thread so I can find it easilly when it comes to updating the CMF - which will be at least a few weeks away, if not longer as I'm currently trying to get my own internet access at my house sorted out.

14. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

life > ToEE

it'll be done when it's done Allyx :)

15. Enilno

Enilno Quicksword

One question about this quest -- is it supposed to give XP?

I'm playing Co8 5.7.0 with a 3-member CE party and received Skole's gems, but no XP. My party was level 6 or 7 at the time.

(I don't usually do this quest since I don't often do evil parties, but figured I'd have a go with an evil party to shake things up a little since there isn't much new content in 5.7.x.)

Our Host!