Question: Is Nulb a sea port or a river port?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Old Book, Aug 7, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

The online stuff I've found makes it sound like a river port, but the in game art makes it look like a sea port. Also, river pirates don't quite seem to work.

So, river port or sea port? If a sea port, what's the name of the body of water it leads to?

Greyhawk experts, Lord Spike, can you help a brother out?

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Nulb is built on the Velverdyva River which also flows through Hommlet, Nulb is built on swampy land which may indicate it being in a flood plain or that the ares receives a lot of the rain water that has run off of the Kron hills and gathered in the valley...

A good site for Greyhawk lore can be found here

3. Old Book

Thanks, Allyx.

So, it has no direct sea access, and those are river pirates?

EDIT: For some reason that Greyhawk site doesn't seem to much like Firefox. I'll try looking at its google cache.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The river emties out into the land locked sea called the Nyr Dyv which would be an important trade route from Verbobonc to the City of Greyhawk and other cities in the area, but there doesn't seem to be any way to get out to the ocean in a boat from that area.

Here is a map (don't ask what the blue and red lines are, I couldn't find a key).

5. Old Book

Thanks, that helps a lot. :)

6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

they look to be
    blue lines = rivers or waterways
    red lines = territorial/country boundaries of civilized areas

7. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

another rendition of the world of greyhawk... note the river from Nyr Dyv to Sea of Gearnat

Attached Files:

8. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Wow. I can see that, under my tutelage, you young scholars are coming along nicely. :clap: Soon, we'll have us a little Greyhawk Trivia examination...:eek:

Actually, the Nyr Dyv is an Inland Sea (freshwater type) like Lake Superior; only much deeper. Hence it's other name, The Lake of Unknown Depths. The Selintan River flows from the Nyr Dyv past Greyhawk City, and into Woolly Bay in the sea of Gearnat. It is the most heavily travelled body of water in this part of the Flanaess. People can get to the sea from here, but you have to sail south to do it. The pirates of Nulb are river pirates to be sure. They ply the waters of the Nyr Dyv as well, but less frequently due to the frequent patrols. I'd say they have definite connections in Dyvers as well. More Nyr Dyv-ery:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyr_Dyv
    http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/lgmp/20061017

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  9. Old Book

Thanks, Spike.

I'm doing the Nulb sections of EitT now, and am trying to keep the Pirate's dialog accurate to their roles in both the game and the setting.

10. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

There are river pirates in real life, Sir Peter Blake was murdered by amazon pirates in 2001. ALso river mouths are often used when there is no natural harbour in the sea and if you have the right sort of people with the boats and wealth near/on the river you get Nulb.

11. sps49

sps49 Wide-Eyed Tourist Supporter

Amazon pirates are thugs of opportunity, not colorful, organized Long John Silver types. And natives with little to no contact with our world (per a FOAF victim).

My take was that the Nulb pirates were preying on the Nyr Dyv shipping and hiding upriver. A river is a tough place to hide after an attack or so.

12. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

The Nulb area is somewhat swampy, and any paladins trying to chase any pirates down would have a big armour check penalty to deal with.

13. sps49

True. Paladinds would avoid mucking up their preternaturally shiny armor. :hahano:

14. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

15. sps49

Spike, you'd've loved the USN. In 1988 (we called it the Tanker War, officially it was Operation Earnest Will) the USS Long Beach welded some .50 caliber mounts to the forward blockhouse and had an open "casting call" for people to sign up & learn to man them. Fun, fun, fun for us engineers who were normally inside during GQ.

Even then we worried about suicide speedboats.

Of course, there were no females on combatants then, but overall it was better than any cruise ship. Just ask a recruiter!

Our Host!