Question about Scroll of Extraplanar Chest

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Baconated, May 1, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Baconated

Baconated Member

If I scribe this, I know I cant write it. But if I cast it, do I get another miniature chest?

If so, is this chest sellable as the first one is?

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

There is an extraplanar chest on one of the zombies in the moathouse.

3. Baconated

Baconated Member

...yes.. i already have it, and that has nothing to do with my actual question.. so...

4. GuardianAngel82

The zombie one is not the same, so I misunderstood the word "original".

I believe it costs 15,000 gold to create, which seems to imply it's sellable at twice that. Neither chest is from the original game, so it may have unfinished aspects to it. I would save, and try it. ;)

5. Shadowblade2

Shadowblade2 Established Member

If you take the scroll and learn the spell, IE scribe into your book if a Wizard (or choose it at level up as a Sorcerer) you can cast the spell whenever you like. I wouldn't create multiple chest, though, as there may be a glitch (EG they are all full of copies of your items).

The first casting costs about 5,000 gold, IIRC, not 15,000. I think this refers to casting the spell to create the chest - placing it in and out of the Ethereal involves the miniature item (like rubbing Alladin's lamp) and is not the same as "casting" the spell to create the chest in the first place.

Make sure the chest is empty and sell it to Burne or someone who'll give a good price, which for me was way over 33,000 gp.

Cast the spell from memory (Wizard) or spontaneously.

Sell chest.

Cast spell.

Sell chest.

Cast spell

Sell chest.....

By the time you are bored you'll have half-a-million gold pieces. As my character was a Sorcerer I used the scrolls, so I only sold two.

Good Luck.

~

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I think you will find C-Blue took that possibility into account when he made it. The man was a perfectionist.

You're right about it being a short road to riches though. This begs a saucy question which I will unilaterally throw out here: should the Chest be there so early in the game? I bring it up not simply because of its exploitability, but because there is meant to be a chest just like that found in the lower parts of the Temple (rm 311, which is well overdue for an overhaul anyway). I realise the whole point of it was to allow people to easily collect lots of gear at low levels when they need the money, but its just as useful later when you have a couple dozen bugbears to loot at any given time :shrug:

7. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Mmmmm...... Saucy Questions.

I say the chest should be there early in the game. It's not terribly overbalancing and it's usefulness outweighs the exploitability factor, IMHO.

Big deal, so you can sell the chest repeatedly and gain TONS 'O GOLD. I've played through ToEE so many times, even with crafting like crazy, and still can't spend all the money I'd would "normally" get, if I'd looted and sold everything.

Leave the chest where it is and maybe adjust it's selling price.
    (Ex: Burne notices/recognizes that the chest is a "common" type magic item, relatively easily created in quantity and lowers his payment for those chests sold to him.)

Supply exceeding demand, if you'd like. Or give the selling price of the chest a massively down-sliding scale of resale value for multiple copies. Maybe even limiting the selling of the chest to ONE. No more multi-selling copies.

Or possibly script it to be unsellable. Parties can have multiple copies but nowhere to exploit the sale of them from.

Just some thoughts, since you asked. ;)

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  8. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The odds of having such a high priced magic item in that scenario is pretty low. It should be in the temple somewhere and a lot better guarded. After the moathouse the party has good money but nothing much to buy. Put it in the water temple. The juggernaut would be a good guard.

9. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

I like the Chest, and I'd hate to have to wait for the Temple to get it. I agree with (one of) EtC's suggestion(s): lower it's value to minimize the impact of the exploit.

Or just remove the scrolls and the spell so there is only one chest. Maybe giving the option to take the instant cash is ok if the item is unique and not duplicatable.

(Is "duplicatable" a word? Well, it is now.)

10. Baconated

Baconated Member

I actually think its fine where it is.

Think about it.. would a high level adventurer have such a thing? Nah. Would a rich merchant caravan have it, so they wouldnt need to have 10 wagons to carry their wares?

Yes.

Its in the Moathouse, which is overrun by bandits and thugs. Its no stretch to imagine the bandits robbed and murdered the merchants, took the chest, then when the undead started rising and they abandoned the upper level of the moathouse to zombies and slimes, the zombies "took" it.

And, as it being an "exploit", I dont think it is. Ive played wizards in pen and paper that made magic items.

Add an xp req to the casting in addition to the gold cost.. or add it to the "Craft Wondrous Items" list, as long as you have a wizard who can spellcraft the scroll.

15k gold, 5000 xp per craft isnt too bad, if you HAVE to change it.

As for the "exploitability" of it, I dont think its really such a big deal at the price it's at.

Money isnt that hard to get, I've got a level 8 and 9 party of 8 PCs who are only on the first level of the temple (I do alot of wilderness hunting, feels more D&Dish), and Ive already crafted 3 girdles of giant str +6, 2 gloves of dex +6, and a headband of intellect +6, plus enchanted my H-O fighter's scythe to +2, my dorf ranger's Dwarven war axes to +2 and +1, and my Paladin's Mithril Plate to +1.

Money really isnt that tough, and I dont think that having the chest repeatedly castable is overpowering, esp since you have to level 9 to even cast it, since its a level 5 spell IIRC.

If anything, pop it up to a level 6 spell, but leave it alone otherwise, I think

11. GuardianAngel82

"Duplicable" is the one in the dictionary. "Replicable" is in more common use. "Repeatable" even more so. But "duplicatible" or "duplicatable" (not sure which is right) is a valid word, and would be more readily understood than "duplicable".

English is what you make of it, he said "bullshitaceously". ;)

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Oooo, you folks got lucky - I realised something at the last minute and so deleted an insanely long post to simply mention this:

The chest is priced wrong in protos.tab. Its 5050 to create: it should be priced at 5050 (resell about 3000+, depending on vendor and Appraise score). Its actually priced at 50500. Thats where the exploitability is coming from.

Its still too much for a lvl 2 party - thats almost one full increment of the wealth-by-level thingy, if I am reading it right - but its also a 90% reduction. I can live with that :)

13. GuardianAngel82

NOW you done it! I'll have get a REAL job, Baconated! Thanks to YOU! :rant:

14. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

W.C. Fields said it best: "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time."

15. GuardianAngel82

Or:

You can fool all of the people some of the time,
    and some of the people all of the time.
    And that should be sufficient for most purposes. ;)

And that would be BS Expert68.

Our Host!