ProtoEd fixes

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Basil the Timid, Jul 23, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

In order to give halfling PCs the +1 for thrown weapons as per RAW, simply edit the PC tab and add weapon focus feats (or, better yet, greater weapon focus) for darts, sling, shuriken, and javelin.

This is a way to add feats to PCs, but all PCs of a given race/gender will have those feats upon generation

NPC Rangers' favored enemies can be fixed to conform to RAW by repeating the favored enemy type and subtype. By repeating the same exact favored enemy "feat," the engine will stack the bonuses. So, 5th level rangers can have a +4 and 10th level rangers can have a +6 or two +4. I have also noticed redundancies in some (new?) NPCs feats. For example a ranger that has feat ranger archery style need not have rapid shot or manyshot included in the protos feat slots. Perhaps these are the reasons why Otis was changed to a fighter?

Riana's dlg lines 24&25 need to be changed. It is currently possible to bring her into the party without paying for her freedom. My workaround is to have the PC Line # to go to changed from 130 to 50.

*Actually, this doesn't seem to help either. Now I can't pay Ophelia for her freedom. And Ophelia's dialog file recycles and I don't know what in the world to make of that. So, I surrender on this issue.

That's all for now.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Murlynd has a Riana fix in his thread. Not sure if it's exactly what you're talking about here, but it was pretty comprehensive. Check out the Murlynd sticky for deets.

3. Basil the Timid

Thanks, Gaear. I did check out that thread. I had mentioned it long ago to Shiningted about modding the protos PC tab, which he had explained to me no one had considered at that time. I believe I discussed with you before about fixing up the rangers FE class ability for stacking bonuses.

Of course, a lot of work has been done by you et al. over the past three years since I was last active. Perhaps you have found other ways to mod these changes, or perhaps it has slipped through the cracks due to it being low priority. Anyway, this is just a reminder.

4. Gaear

Thanks! :)

5. Basil the Timid

I was wondering if anyone noticed this one: In protos.tab Kella and half-elves in PC tab are listed as follows:
    race_halfelf
    mc_type_humanoid
    mc_subtype_elf mc_subtype_human

Actually, if I remember my 3.5 legal training, half-elves should be considered as having elf blood in terms of weapon utilization and crafting. By making them both subtypes, they are exposed to the penalty of being part of both races in terms of Favored Enemy. They "should" only be considered as elves.

Half-orcs then should only be considered as orcs.

Can someone verify if my point is sound according to RAW?

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Here's what the SRD says about half elves.

Half-elves are not truly an elf subrace, but they are often mistaken for elves. Half-elves usually inherit a good blend of their parents’ physical characteristics.

Humanoid (Elf).
    Medium: As Medium creatures, half-elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Half-elf base land speed is 30 feet.
    Immunity to sleep spells and similar magical effects, and a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells or effects.
    Low-Light Vision: A half-elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
    +1 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks.
    +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Gather Information checks.
    Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-elf is considered an elf.
    Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
    Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass half-elf takes an experience point penalty, her highest-level class does not count.
    Level Adjustment: +0.

7. Basil the Timid

That is my point. Favored Enemy is an effect related to race. They should not be considered as humans AND elves, only the latter.

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Is there any down-side to them NOT being considered human (in protos.tab)?

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I was just verifying your statement as you had asked Basil. :)

10. Basil the Timid

Yes, you did, sirchet, and I thank you.

The only downside for them not being human is if there are some items in the game that I am not aware of that require being human, either for utilization or crafting, of which the latter I am sure does not exist. Otherwise, I cannot imagine any downside to following pnp.

Also, as I mentioned in the ToEE discussion forum, Y'dey's alignment must be upgraded from 1st ed to 3.5. It is impossible for a cleric of St. Cuthbert to be NG. In 3.0 Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil she is LG. Making her lawful allows her to craft axiomatic weapons but also exposes her to certain nasty spells like Chaos Hammer, et al.

11. Basil the Timid

I was reading up on the Tripping Bug and considering how that has been working to Hedrack's favor, especially since he was made to be a large creature. I cannot find any justification for that in the original module. Perhaps that was so he could use the shield together with the Unholy Hammer? I do see that he has Righteous Might listed in the protos but at the very end of the spell list. Does the sequence affect his spell choices? I have never seen him cast Flame Strike or any other offensive spell. He seems just to buff and debuff.

Would changing the order of his spells in the protos list make any difference? Perhaps including Righteous Might with his buff routine might work too, but how to do that?

Edit: He will not wield his weapon now that he is medium sized, of course, but that's cool. Hopefully he will if he will choose to RM buff. I have put Righteous Might at #5 in the protos list after the two Protection Law/Good, Owl's Wisdom, and Shield of Faith.

Can Righteous Might be made to take precedence over other healing, since it does increase CON anyway?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  12. Basil the Timid

I finally got Hedrack to use Righteous Might but only on round 6 and only because we didn't harass him too much. He was really large - awesome - but he would not equip the hammer. Two or three rounds later he did an unarmed strike against my monk - lucky for Hedrack that he had reach.

This does make me wonder about another post I saw about getting stunned and dropping weapons, which seems to happen on KotB. I suppose there is no AI in ToEE to draw a weapon once a hand becomes free (such as by Enlarge or Righteous Might).

13. Gaear

IIRC, I made him go to Righteous Might later in his routine when he was done being a caster and turned into a brawler. Strange that he doesn't use his hammer ... I don't recall that.

14. Basil the Timid

Gaear, he doesn't use the hammer because I changed him back to medium sized (since having him large without casting a spell is a cheat and penalizes trippers). I was testing if he would grab his hammer once he casts RM - not! Can that be accomplished? I did notice something interesting, however. He casts RM the round after casting Divine Power. Unfortunately, Divine power doesn't stack with his gauntlets of +6 STR. True, he does get +3 BAB, but RM is superior with +4 size bonus to STR, +2 size bonus to CON, reach, +2 natural armor, DR 3/good, and harder to trip/easier to countertrip.

IMHO, he should be casting RM much earlier in the routine for defensive purposes.
    1) Dispel Magic
    2) silence
    3) Righteous Might or Prayer depending on whether or not someone goes toe to toe with him.

OR
    Casting RM after Desecrate when the zombies are created

Ah, now I understand how the strategy.tab works - a bit.
    I'll try to test.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Adding target.item_wield_best_all() after the spell kicks in does seem to make sense.

Our Host!