Problem: Cleric can't cast

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Zanziber, Sep 28, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zanziber

Zanziber Member

I've been playing for a few weeks, and my party is at 8th - 9th level right now. I just entered the ToEE, and now my Cleric can't cast any spells.

Also, my Paladin is noted as "Fallen" and can't cast or Turn Dead. How do I fix this?

Thanx!

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

What deeds has your party been doing against the party alignment [and, specifically, the alignment of your paladin and cleric]? Did your party agree to complete any quests for the ToEE and be agents of the evil one in the locked level?

3. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Sounds like your cleric got hit with the spell permanency bug. If you are playing Liv's Mod, go talk to Jaroo and ask him about raising people from the dead. You will then get the option to have the spell permanency fixed. If you are not playing Liv's Mod, you can find instructions for removing spell permanency here.

Doing any quests for people in the Temple will cause your Paladin to fall. If your Paladin is under 11th level, you can talk to Terjon at the Church of St. Cuthbert to atone him/her.

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

hey maybe thats how to make clerics fallen :grin:

5. Cerulean the Blue

I have been thinking about that ever since the fallen topic came up. It would have that whole spell fizzling effect I was going for with the negative concentration mioddifier. We don't know how to make the bug happen on command ( I don't think, or we would have fixed it by now) but we could make a moddified silence with a really really long duration, or an unremovable item with the effect. Add a negative charisma effect to remove the turn undead ability and I think we are on to something.

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Wouldn't neg charisma cause more skill issues than neg Wisdom? (Forgot about the Undead issues).

I agree with Drifter's thing that fizzling spells is better, IF we can pull it off: maybe the item is the way to go. Of course cheaterers could stack their inventories so when they reach a 'do this and cleric falls' moment, it gets palmed off on the next character.

Randy the Rogue: I can't seem to cast cleric spells any more.
    Karl the Cannibal Cleric: Hey, I'm trying to eat here!

7. Zanziber

Zanziber Member

I haven't used any mod's. I did take the offer to take "The Master" out of the Moathouse, and that's why my Paladin isllen. I've tried talking with Terjon, but I'm not sure what to ask to have the Fallen removed. Do I ask about being Raised like the Cleric fix?

Thanx!

8. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Provided your paladin is not higher than level 10 (which if your using patch 3 it wont be), select your paladin and using that character talk to Terjon about "some other questions" there Terjon will say...

Terjon - "How can I help you?"
    Smart pc - "I seek forgiveness. I am a paladin who has fallen, but I have reformed. Do you offer atonement?"
    Dumb pc - "Me bad paladin who want to be good again. You fix me?"

9. Cerulean the Blue

The negative charisma would affect only the social skills (and perform and use magical devices), which would only be an issue if the cleric was the face man of the party (who does that?), and might even be considered fitting for a fallen cleric. The negative wisdom modifier would effect more "useful" skill other than social ones (heal, listen, spot, survival), which it would make absolutely no sense to decrease just because the cleric is fallen. It also would effect saves.

Cheaters could just use the console to remove the fallen status no matter how we implement it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  10. Shiningted

I think affecting saves is a good demonstration of divine disfavour, but I agree with what you are saying about skills. One thing is for sure, we can't implement it by knocking off both Wisdom and Charisma. Its a puzzler.

11. Zanziber

Zanziber Member

Ok. Last night I used the atonement code through the console, and now my Paladin isn't Fallen anymore. I also workded on using some of the item codes to try and buff my party. In the middle of doing this, ToEE crashed. This morning, I tried to load the AutoSave, and it crashed again.

Is there a fix or do I need to start a new party?

And I still haven't been able to get my Cleric to cast, but he can make potions, scrolls, weapons & armor and wands like nobody's business.

Thanx!

12. Shiningted

Well, sounds a lot like your save is corrupt - happens unfortunately, especially with quicksaves and autosaves. I'd try a new party and see if your new cleric can cast ok.

13. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

were you useing the give ####? cos if you give to many items often the 1 item you give to the character with the already full inventory will cause a CTD

14. Drifter

Drifter Established Member

I think that making wisdom saves is about being/acting wise and having strong will, both things have nothing or little to do with favour/disfavour of one's god.
    Saying that low charisma is also fitting for fallen clerics is a bit of a stretch too, imho. I don't think that gods express their anger by making a cleric fail CHA check while he's shopping for groceries ^_^
    Do you guys want to say that some god has nothing better to do than be watching 24/7 over all clerics that currently are in his/her disfavour and applying his powers to screw them over each time they do something WIS/CHA related? :roll: Then why not also DEX/CON stuff (if god's that mad and at it anyway...) Or why not torch the poor sucker dead right away and go back to doing w/e gods do anyway?

15. Cerulean the Blue

Okay, I don't actually think that falling out of favor with ones diety should lower the clerics charisma with everybody, just with those people who would care if the cleric had fallen out of favor. That said, I can think of no other way to remove the turn/rebuke undead ability from a fallen cleric than to adjust charisma so that s/he has as -3 charisma modifier (3/day + char modifier: this still need testing btw, it may not work). I would think that few, if any, people use clerics as the face man in their parties, so the effect of the negative charisma modifier on social skills would not effect gameplay nearly as much as a negative wisdom modifier's effect on wisdom based skills (heal, listen, spot, survival) would. I mention the wisdom modifier because last I heard it was being considered as a means of preventing spell casting for fallen clerics.

Our Host!