Power Throw

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by hammyh, Sep 14, 2021.

Remove all ads!
  1. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

As is, it behaves exactly as srd states it should (tested).

My complaint? Well the feat needs Power Attack as a pre-req. It is a straight -AB/+dmg boost. Many other skills are just better picks for damage (specialization, crafting, etc). One of the biggest thrills of power attack is 2h benefits. (ignoring the super-cheese of Fragarach, etc.) And in higher levels you need other feats such as Quick Swap and various ranged feats to be a good thrower.

There are 2 times throwing weapons are 2H: spears for normal and javelins for small creatures. I think the feat should be 2x damage in these cases. Otherwise ...why would you pick these weapons.

Imho, the feat is not good enough to pick normally, but could be very fun for a spear-thrower. Or small creature throwing a javelin.

TLDR: Just because srd isn't imaginative enough to think of this, doesn't mean it can't be a thing in ToEE.

(full disclosure: I have a halfling stormlord javelin thrower and this feat would be attractive if 2H).

2. OLLY613

OLLY613 Member

A little late on this but do you have a full build for the stormlord javelin thrower? I've been wanting to build that kind of thing too.

Is quick draw basically required to throw multiple javelin? I wish javelin stacked like arrows haha.

3. hammyh

You can use most any race as it is cleric + Stormlord Prc.

I ran a number of Stormlords with a variety of builds for testing when the PRC was first added.

Note that there is more than one god that gives WF as diety - although Gruumsh uniquely gives a useful SL focus. Iirc Gruumsh was eventually considered too restrictive for some races and the prc req was changed to allow for any Diety Favored weapon, such that any war domain could work. That's more-or-less why I wrote this thread above -- the SRD 3.5 WF restriction was relaxed, so it seemed logical to tweak that feat, as well.

In any case, these were some of the builds and all of them were fun enough: These are all lvl 9 taken from an old save and eventually they reached higher levels in the Verbonc portion.

1. Halfling strongheart thrower of Olidammara , point blank, precise shot, Weapon focus Javelin, Great Fortitude, quickdraw by level 9. Strongheart = extra starting feat, Olidammara because the war domain changes were not yet modified. Presently you can skip WF javelin if desired, for any war domain pick. High-Dex. Short Spear and Javalin.
    2. Half-orc Cleric of Gruumsh. Power attack, Brutal Throw, Great Fortitude, cleave ...Gruumsh gives Spear Focus. High-Strength. Spear and Long Spear. Was also testing new feat Brutal throw which worked fine.
    3. Half-orc Favored Soul = Diety Weapon by lvl 3, which qualifies for SL. Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Great Fortitude, Combat Reflexes. Half-orc is not the best race for a charisma class or int feat, but at the time SL had narrow weapon requirement restrictions. Mixed Stats. Long Spear. Tripping is quite powerful with long spear reach.

*** You can go SL by level 5, but I did 6 for better early gameplay - simply to delay Great Fortitude until level 6 and get the most out of the other 2-3 feats. Although 5th level SL does give nice thundering SL weapons (sonic), which I didn't see until the Verbonc section (slef-restricting max. lvl 10 for zuggtmoy.)

For high-levels, you definitely want quickdraw for a dedicated thrower. But you don't get the extra attack until lvl 8 or hasted...so ymmv. You need as many throwings in the inventory as possible for this, especially in long battles and it's easy to run out. Not the most QoL of range weapons. And you want to either buy or pick up a lot.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
  4. OLLY613

OLLY613 Member

Thanks for the very detailed response @hammyh that is excellent.

Yes I was thinking brutal throw too! And yes I expect to need to pick up a TON of throwing weapons if I do this build haha.

The one test I did before I used a druid with weapon focus Morningstar (deity) although I forget which diety it was. And I was using a shield and main attack at range was call lightning. A thor call back haha.

But I like the idea of throwing javelin more!

A follow up question, weapon focus spear works for spear AND long spear right?

5. hammyh

Oops. Just checked the game and short spear, spear, and Longspear are unique and don't fall under the same WF.

So Gruumsh gives longspear WF, only.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
  6. OLLY613

OLLY613 Member

Perfect! I think I will make a stormlord in my next playthrough.

I am going to do an all prestige class run. Should be fun.

7. hammyh

Just edited the post above as it was wrong. Each spear type is a unique WF. (good think I checked the game...)

8. OLLY613

OLLY613 Member

Oh! Thanks for checking. I would have made that mistake haha.

Our Host!