Post patch 2.0 and mod pack 3.0 bugs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Crichton, Jun 5, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. Crichton

Crichton Member

I'd put these on the various lists on the Atari forums, but they up and banned me a while back :)[ ), so I hope this'll do,

New Bugs:

Zombies (at least the most common prototype the green-skinned ones) seem to be immune to fire, even to the tune of eight points, so it can't be some weird interaction w/ their normal DR. This is not true of the other prototype, the brown/pink ones, on the other hand one of those registered as "immune due to racial type" when hit w/ the wizard cantrip "disrupt undead".

The medium wooden shields included in the new, improved Co8 starting equipment have bad art, they go all fuzzy when you look at the inside, one more prototype that there isn't enough actual art for.

Old Bugs:

(This is an engine bug, I only include it so that it can be passed on to troika) If you try to move a charecter and can't, for whatever reason, any AOO for that move are calculated first, so you get swiped and then you get the "can't move" error message. Not a huge deal, but still, rather saddening.

Fighters are still allowed to take "Weapon Prof., Martial" as a feat, I don't know what happens when you try it.

I'm not convinced produce flame is actually rolling to hit when used as a missile; but it won't show me the rolls so who knows?

2. Crichton

Crichton Member

another old bug:

Most gnolls in the moathouse (though not the leader) still have DR 5/Bludgening.

3. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

Zombies being immune to fire is due to addition of Monster Juggernaut to protos.tab. I have corrected it to Monster Plant in v3.0.1 and there should no longer be problems with this.

The Disrupt Undead spell is determined by having mc_type_undead in protos.tab. Tried combining this with Monster
    Juggernaut and Monster Plant but I could not reproduce the bug. Disrupt Undead appears to work well with anything coded as mc_type_undead and checking through all Zombies in protos.tab reveals that they have all been coded so.
    Could you be more specific as to where these Zombies were? Can you reproduce this consistently?

For some odd reason (?file corruption) the Large Wooden Shields appear to occupy the body armor slot... other shields seem to be ok though (checked Hedrack's shield, shield +2, wooden elvish shield, buckler, etc...)
    Couldn't see anything wrong with Col61 (equipped slots) but anyway I copy pasted the same entry from wooden elvish shield to {6070}{Large Wooden Shield}
    OIF_WEAR_WEAPON_SECONDARY
    OIF_WEAR_ARMOR

Seems to have worked as the shield is now properly equipped.

4. Crichton

Crichton Member

The only instance I've found of a zombie being immune to "disrupt undead" was in the tutorial, I'd never played it before, so I decided to see what was in it two days ago. The cominbation of 3/4 of the zombies being immune to fire (including that wand of fire) and disrupt undead not working really did a job on that mage. I'll try to reproduce it soon.

5. Crichton

Crichton Member

The problems with the zombies were that I only had 3.0.0 not 3.0.1, with the proper pack installed, they behave exactly as they should.

But while this isn't strictly-speaking a bug, I do have a suggestion for your next mod-pack, in the blacksmith's inventory, inserting maybe 5-6 instances of sling bullets (100,5007), and/or other types of ammo (maybe including silver arrows for were-hunting) would probably make a lot of people happy.

BTW, I decided to take up my dialog mod again, it got stalled last time halfway through fixing terjon's dialog, so at the moment I've got modified vigenette dialog that adds a hook to go see terjon, and I have some additional terjon dialog, but the goal is to add not only to terjon but also to burne, the four head priests and hendrack.

6. zhuge

I've already inserted {5007}{Pouch of bullets} into Brother Smyth and Otis' inventory (which will refresh after a certain time). They have a 100% chance of appearing but I've only put 1 each. Reckoned they'd be enough, but I guess having an extra one or two pouches wouldn't hurt.

I look forward to your dialogue mod. :thumbsup:
    If you need any help on coding/implementation, feel free to discuss it here (or mail me at zhugetx@yahoo.com if you think certain details should be made private till release). I wonder if Lord Spike (Atari forumer) visits these forums. He appears to have a solid knowledge of Greyhawk lore.

7. Crichton

Crichton Member

Engine bugs for everyone:

Equiping a reach weapon still gives the reach bonus for touch-based spells, such as cure light wounds and ghoul touch.

(Personally, i'd rather steve spent his 'zots' fixing the doughnut reach problems since that's a much bigger issue than the largely worthless touch-based offensive magic)

8. Goongyae

Goongyae Member

I've been using patch 2 and coe patch 3. I've found these bugs:

-Animal Growth (L5 Wizard spell) is not scribable
    -Rage (L3 Wizard spell) is not scribable
    -Hold Portal is listed as L1 Wizard spell in the Help text, yet cannot be learned at level up.
    -Halflings don't get +4 to Hide like claimed in the character creation screen.
    -The stupid "Forge Arms & Armor" text should be "Craft Rod".

Very minor things:
    -I'm not sure the art for the belt of strength is quite right. In the DMG it says it should appear leather studded with iron or something. :)
    -Some more magic items from DMG should be added. Like boots of elvenkind or cape of the mountebank. (Items that actually can be programmed in the game.)
    -Koghetom's ointment is craftable in DMG but not in the game. Since the item already exists in the game, make it craftable :)

9. Goongyae

Goongyae Member

Another bug I noticed..

-Icy Burst actually does electrical damage (so Shock doesn't stack with it, but Frost does)
    -Shocking Burst does negative energy damage
    Or maybe I have that backwards. It's easy to test anyway. Just craft the weapon, smack someone, and look in the rolls window.
    It's nice to make weapons that do 4 types of "elemental" damage simultaneously :)

I'm not sure about Flaming Burst, I don't have that yet. Most likely it is messed up too. Maybe I can make a weapon that does 5 kinds of elemental damage :)

More issues:
    -Brew Potion is very sad, there should be like 5x as many craftable potions. (Of course, with the lack of skills to spend on it's better to dump points in use magic items and then use a wand.)
    -Craft Rod is weird. Besides being labelled "Forge Arms & Armor" it is full of items that appear nowhere in the DMG as far as I know. Most of them aren't even Rods. Yuck.
    -Does Elixir of Hiding wear off? It doesn't show a "Buff" tab when you drink it, but the skills shows the +10 bonus. I should test this..
    -The scroll of Mordenkainen's faithful hound is mispelt, it says "Scroll of Mordenkaine's..."
    -In the copy scrolls list, scrolls seem to appear in reverse alphabetical order. One annoying thing is that Scroll of Xyz (with capital letter, e.g. in the word Mordenkainen's or Otiluke's) always appears "before" scroll of xyz (with lower case letter) in the Copy Scrolls list. Suggested fix: always use a capital letter, e.g. Scroll of Xyz.

10. gandalf333

gandalf333 Member

Random bug:

I've played through the game a few times. A couple of times my parties have trouble finding secret doors. I even had a wizard with a find secret door spell and I still could not locate one, even though it is there (been there before). For example, the secret entrance to the moathouse, the stairs down inside the moathouse and the secret passage on dungeon level 3 next to the golden orb. I don't know what triggers this or not, but it is inconsistant and irritating when you know there's a secret door there but it won't show up.

11. zhuge

Right on! Wish I had seen your post earlier. Would have incorporated the fixes for these into v3.0.2.
    Anyway in item_creation.mes in the rules subdirectory:

add:
    // 9008 - animal growth

change:
    // 9546 - rage
    to:
    // 9547 - rage

for:
    // 2 - items that can be made with Scribe Scroll
    add:
    9008, 9547 to {2}{}

add:
    {9008}{"SAnimal Growth"}

changed:
    {9546}{"SRage"}
    to:
    {9547}{"SRage"}

changed:
    {9560}{"SDispel Water"}
    to:
    {9546}{"SDispel Water"}

After making the above changes, the spells should now all be scribable.

Hold Portal is bugged. I don't think the devs want it in the game at all. I believe previous Co8 mod packs have changed this to another spell.

Halflings don't get +4 to hide is a known bug. See Atari buglists.
    An exe change is probably needed here.

Will check on text for Forge Arms & Armor. Where does this appear?

We have only 2 belts in this game, unless you want to insert extra art. I took the easy way out by choosing an existing pix.

It would be nice to have more items for the next mod pack release, provided these are not unbalancing. Perhaps we could task one of the modders to work on it.
    Also see:
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=656

12. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Forge Arms & Armor

@Goongyae: You have the Co8 patch installed, right? Well, "Craft Rod" being named "Forge Arms & Armor" is a change that was made by Co8 - I think the culprit is called Chris Woods, see this thread: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112

13. Shiftyjim

Shiftyjim Member

Goongyae

If you want to rename "Forge Arms And Armor" back to "Craft Rod" just open "C:\Program Files\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil\data\mes\combat.mes". Search for

{5069}{Forge Arms And Arnmor}

and replace with

{5069}{Craft Rod}

I think thats all there is too it - had no problems yet!!

There was also meant to be a Craft Staff feat but as this hasn't been implemented I've added a few of the staff's (staves?) in the game to the Craft Rod list to flesh it out a bit.

Also been adding a few more of the items that are already coded in the game to the relevant Craft list such as

Cloak of protection +4
    Boots of speed
    Boots of elvenkind
    Sorcerer Helm
    All potions coded in the game are now available under Brew Potion (inc Keogthoms Ointment)
    Staff/s of fire, life and striking

Does anyone have a realistic idea of what feats/spells/level are required for these items? Never played PNP version so have just gone with what looks best - any help here would be appreciated

Also trying to get Boots of striding to give a permanent speed increase without needing to be selected from the radial menu. Does anyone know how to go about this or even if it is possible?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2004
  14. Goongyae

Goongyae Member

>Will check on text for Forge Arms & Armor. Where does this appear?

Apparently the Co8 patch changes "Craft Rod" in the radial menu to "Forge Arms & Armor". This might be cool if there were arms and armor listed there, but there aren't :). It should be left as "Craft Rod" for those who still use it to craft rods.

>We have only 2 belts in this game, unless you want to insert extra art. I took the easy way out by choosing an existing pix.

Understood, thanks for doing a fantastic job on the patch.

>There was also meant to be a Craft Staff feat but as this hasn't been implemented I've added a few of the staff's (staves?) in the game to the Craft Rod list to flesh it out a bit.

Craft Staff requires 12 caster levels per the PHB (Player's Handbook). So it really shouldn't be accessible in the game.

>Also been adding a few more of the items that are already coded in the game to the relevant Craft list such as
    >
    >Cloak of protection +4
    >Boots of speed
    >Boots of elvenkind
    >Sorcerer Helm
    >All potions coded in the game are now available under Brew >Potion (inc Keogthoms Ointment)
    >Staff/s of fire, life and striking

Nice!

>Does anyone have a realistic idea of what feats/spells/level are >required for these items? Never played PNP version so have just >gone with what looks best - any help here would be appreciated

From DMG (dungeon master's guide):
    -Cloak of Resistance (bonus to saving throws) requires 3x the bonus in caster levels to create, so +4 is not possible (you'd have to be level 12)
    -Forge Ring is a caster level 12 feat so you can't make e.g. rings of protection
    -Boots of Speed takes caster level 10th (e.g. wiz 9/sorc 1 ok, but wiz 9/fighter 1 won't work, paladin and ranger levels only count half), Craft Wondrous Item, haste, price 12000 gp (I'm listing the values of the magic item, it costs 1/2 this amount in gp to craft plus 1/25 in xp), weight 1 lb.
    -Boots of Elvenkind requires caster level 5, Craft Wondrous Item, creator must be elf, price 2500 gp, 1 lb
    -Sorcerer helm - not sure what this is?
    -Keoghtom's Ointment - caster level 5, Craft Wondrous Item (it's not a potion, technically), cure light wounds, neutralize poison, remove disease, price 4000 gp, weight 1/2 lb
    -Potions require Brew Potion obviously, plus only L3 spells or lower can be stored in a potion. Also, not all spells are allowed (e.g. shield, fireball, identify, etc.). There is a list of about 50 in the DMG with various prices, maybe someone will type it in :)

By the way, instead of Amulets of Wisdom, the game should have Periapts of Wisdom, as in the DMG.

Here are some nice items to add:
    Boots of Teleportation - three times a day you may use Teleport, caster level 9th to craft, Craft Wondrous Item, teleport, price 49000 gp, weight 3 lbs.
    Cape of the Mountebank - this bright red and gold cape grants the user Dimension Door once per day, CL 9th, Craft Wondrous Item, dimension door, 10,080 gp, weight 1 lb.
    Elixir of Sneaking - Grants +10 competence bonus to Move Silently for 1 hr, CL 5th, Craft Wondrous Item, silence (is this spell in the game?), price 150 gp
    Mantle of Spell Resistance - Worn over clothing or armor, grants spell resistance 21. CL 9th, Craft Wondrous Item, spell resistance, 90,000 gp.
    Periapt of Health - immune to disease (even supernatural diseases), CL 5th, Craft Wondrous Item, remove disease, price 7500 gp.

15. Crichton

Crichton Member

AI Bugs:

One of the witches in the temple guardhouse casts bull strength on my fighter thief (no, thank you, madam).

Sometimes the AI still wanders around back and forth indeciesively.

Although I'm pretty sure the wizard in the temple guardhouse knows fireball, his first priority is to cast a bunch of useless crap (mirror image, enlarge (on archers commonly), eventually ray of enfeeblement).

Monsters can still become hostile to their own kind under the right circumstances (I had an ogre absolutely smash a gnoll on the first dungeon level of the temple) I think it's caused by monsters at the front of the room growing hostile towards the party while monsters in back first detect their friends attacking someone neutral (you). The monsters farther back then become hostile both to you (b/c their faction is fighting you) and their own faction (for attacking neutrals).

Engine Bugs:

Magic Circle against Evil positively refuses to be dissmissed and can, if one rests while under its effect, leave its graphical effect even though the spell tab is gone.

Farlinth's Quasit's damage reduction applies itself to the fire of produce flame.

Using a "T" hotkey for a trip attack only works about half the time, the other half, the key has no effect and I have to resort to the radial menu.

Our Host!