Permanently charmed Ettin

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ithildur, Feb 15, 2018.

Remove all ads!
  1. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

I've spent a fair amount of time searching for a solution to this but haven't found one yet.

During a random encounter with ettins, I used the child's toy to summon a lamia, which cast charm monster and successfully charmed one of the ettins. I think at some point the charmed ettin was dropped to negative hp's, and subsequently healed by the party cleric. Now it seems the charm is permanent, and i've got this guy following the party around as a loyal subject (while not being in the actual party, i.e. no portrait) apparently permanently... I've tried resting multiple times and the charm does not wear off.

Is there any way to get rid of him/undo this? It wouldn't be as annoying a bug if it were a medium sized critter, but it's especially annoying to have a big critter model follow you inside small rooms/buildings etc., aside from the game balance being thrown out the window.

2. ithildur

I'm running the latest NC mod, along with Temple + 1.62

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Easiest way would be to surround him with PC's and kill him.

4. ithildur

Problem is he still remains permanently charmed even dead. i.e. I have to drag a huge ettin sized corpse (with a blue ally circle, but with no way to 'dismiss' the dead ally) around everywhere. The corpse at least doesn't move from the entrance point when entering a new area, so a slight improvement; still a major drag when I enter say a shop and the corpse is filling up the entire area, making it difficult to see anything.

And I've had at least one occasion where Mother Screng for no apparent reason attacked the group on sight - I think after I killed off a charmed/blue circle critter (can't recall details on this though) possibly because it was considered attacking an innocent?

I'm reluctant to risk having this happen again, plus the pain of the oversized corpse following the party around... is there no known solution for this?

5. Allyx

You could try this, but instead of 0 use the number of PC's and NPC's you have in your party, IE if you have 4 PC's plus Elmo, replace 0 with 5,

E.G.. game.party[5].follower_remove( game.party[1])

It might not work, but it's my best guess.

6. ithildur

Thanks for the suggestion, already tried it but that only seems to remove followers who are actually in party with a portrait.

The syntax actually is:
    game.party[0].follower_remove( game.party[0+x])

where [0+x] is the number that indicates which member of the party gets removed (0 being the first portrait slot, 1 would be the second from left, etc). But again, since the charmed ettin is not a follower with a portrait/not actually in party, this doesn't seem to work.

7. florian1

florian1 Established Member

Have you tried killing the Ettin, and then resting for 24 hours to see if the corpse will rot away?

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

If it's behaving like a charmed animal (i.e. attached to party, not in it), you could try the Jaroo spell permanency fix.

9. crhallen

crhallen Toee addict Supporter

Ithildur, he will make a great bag of holding while it lasts. it will eventually disappear, i don't remember when or how. i have had an invisible permanent member in many games and they were great scouts. i am pretty sure you need to go back to an old save prior to getting your Ettin.

10. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

Had the same problem with the lamia figurine couple of times. So annoying that I didn't use the figurine anymore. But like Florian already suggested, killing charmed critter and resting for several times solved the problem eventually.

11. ithildur

Jaroo wasn't able to help, but (after letting ettin get killed in combat) resting until corpse rotted solved the problem! Much appreciated

12. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

I had the same situation, but it was with a bugbear. He was just kinda there, and when we returned to the map where we found him in the ToEE, he forcibly wandered to his patrol zone, even ignoring turns and just wandering there in real time with no enemy action against him.

13. Allyx

Wait... so he was just tagging along because he didn't know how to get back to the map he was on when he got charmed? And when he was "home" he just wandered off? Weird, but it kind of explains a few things, doesn't help with random encounters though.

Our Host!