Patches and problems.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Dragon_Awakened, Apr 8, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Dragon_Awakened

Dragon_Awakened Wandering Warrior

With my game in full swing now I've run into a few things that puzzle me a bit. Some are during encounters some are situations.
    During my jaunt through the fire temple I ended up fighting the troll and it's pet owlbear. I forget the trolls name but she shows up on the list of foes defeated as a cr:0? Funny she fights like any other troll.
    ----
    There are doors that come up with the locked symbol on them. These doors cannot be targeted with knock spells and my rogue cannot target those doors with "pick locks." It does not come up "lock picking failed" It just says locked when I attempt to unlock it.
    ----
    During one of the random encounters there is an encounter between the party, an ettin, and a number of hobgoblins (between 3 and 6). The ettin concentrates his attacks on the hobgoblins and the hobgoblins react likewise. I'm guessing it's an alignment thing given the hobgoblins are lawful evil and the ettin is chaotic evil. Not a complaint just an observation.
    ----
    The ettin/hobgoblin encounter is not the only thing that has a fight occur within a fight. I encountered a number of jackals with a pair of jackalweres. During this fight for some reason the jackalweres and several of the jackals concentrated their attacks on one of the jackals rather than charge the real threat to them, mainly my party. I know there is a druid that may help the party but she is polymorphed (possibly the form of a hill giant but the jackal made me think something was different.). Having saved Prince Thrommel and recieving Scather I'm looking for a female npc to join my party (since all other members are female) I'm not interested in Darley since she's a succubus so this hidden druid is likely the person I'm looking for.
    ----
    The frostbrand found in the fire temple is nice but I'm wondering if it can be further enchanted. The same question I guess goes for Scather. Just wondering but not entirely sure I would do it if it's possible. The character using Scather is Neutral Good so Scather doesn't give her an AoO when she is damaged during melee.
    ----
    As always any help is appreciated and sorry for any spoilers contained in the body of this message.

2. Obnoxio

Obnoxio BANNED

* SPOILER ALERT *

The Druid (I forget her name) can be found in the deepest part of the Temple, in the western brach of the cross-roads by the stairs. She'll only join your party if you already have a druid (weird...), or a true neutral character.
    She is disguised as a Hill Giant, and standing in a corridor.

Those locked doors (magically sealed, but can't be dispelled) are quite frustrating - especially if you've played the game unmodded (you can simply walk through them as though they weren't there).
    I usually cast suggestion on the jackalweres while they're fighting the jackals - they make excellent slaves since they're quite hard to hit :D
    The first time I played the game (no mods + Atari patch 3), I actually thought that Senshock was on the party's side... His elemental summons were keeping the Ettins at bay while I was fighting Hedrack. (the outcome wasn't pleasant, and the next time I started the battle, Senshock did what he was supposed to do, and made things even more unpleasant).

3. Dragon_Awakened

Before I added the mod's and patches....

I had gone through the game able to walk through any door as if it were no more than a curtain. Then I added all my patches and stuff went funny though the game was still fun. Well if the druid won't join perhaps I will just pick serena up and build her up. I think I have the mod that allows me to level up an npc as if they were a pc. I could build her into a fighter/thief. Still planning.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ok... the monsters fighting each toher, which personally I like, is caused by different factions being assigned to the mosnters. The factions ensure that if u start a rumble with some passing critter, everything of the same faction will step in (without them, u could fight monsters individually. DH's goblins are a good example of what happens with no faction assignings). Never seen it with the jackalweres before.

The locked doors are a role-playing thing, u r NOT MEANT to go thru them.

And I don't know if the Frotsbrand is re-magikable, just try it :)

5. Dragon_Awakened

After I say something here I am able to now target those doors with a knock spell. I did check out the frostbrand (used by my fighter/archer) and it appears that I can add enchantments to it. I've found a new problem though. My 10th level cleric cannot add the "holy" aspect to created weapons. There was something said about the level cap change making it more difficult to create any uber-weapons as my mage who is 10th level cannot do any of the "burst" effects on weapons yet. I am guessing that all comes later.
    Neither one can add the Keen effect which I was considering for the frostbrand.
    SPOILER ALERT:
    _
    _
    _
    _
    _
    _
    _
    _
    _
    Is it just me in my old age or does the +3 longsword taken from the lamia looks like the sword from the old Thundercats cartoon. My elf is using it and I hope to add the holy, lightning burst, icy burst effects to it. (fire is useless against demons anyway)

6. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Search this forum for Sword of Omens, and see what turns up.

:paper:

7. Dragon_Awakened

thanks

That was informative. I got to see a bunch of Livonna's work. Very cool now I need to try and provoke Rannos and Gremag again. Picked up Serena, consoled her stats, she is now a rogue 3/fighter 2. Considering a restart yet again with a few new ideas. Not sure yet. I've picked up 5 suits of elven chainmail: 2 blue (one from Smigmal, one as a reward for saving the elven noble and her consort.) 1 purple (behemoth king frog), and 2 green (the hill giant and a groaning spirit). My cleric and my mage share weapon and armor making duties so one of the two doesn't end up taking ages to get to their next level. This test was fun so far.

8. Shiningted

I think you'll find a cleric has to have certain domains to make holy gear, I have never been able to do it.

9. Obnoxio

Obnoxio BANNED

You need the "good" domain to add holy element.
    Added effects from domain spells don't always appear in the crafting menu, but the following trick usually works if it isn't available when it's supposed to be:
    1. Select "Craft Weapons" from the radial menu, and highlight the weapon you want to upgrade.
    2. Close the menu, and open your spells from the radial menu.
    3. Select the domain spell of the appropriate level (eg. your 4th level spell if you want to add Holy, 5th level if you want to add Flaming or Flaming Burst).
    4. Cast the spell, and select the appropriate domain spell via your inventory.
    5. Rest
    All of the effects your cleric can add should now be selectable when you try to craft - as long as you're high enough level, and have enough gold and XP available.

Lord Plothos has made an excellent guide to crafting (see attachment)

Attached Files:

10. Dragon_Awakened

My cleric has the Good and Sun domains.

It's wierd that twice now I've mentioned a problem and it seemed to fix itself. Now my cleric can add the holy aspect to a weapon and my mage is able to do shocking burst aspect on weapons however the mage cannot do any icy burst, flame burst, or keen effects. The mage has cone of cold which if I remember correctly is the most powerful of cold spells that I'm familliar with.
    ----
    Serena is getting a bit better. I have her dual wielding a +3 cutlass and a +3 dagger and she is rogue 3/ fighter 3. She actually survived the fight with Senshock in his chamber.

11. Obnoxio

Obnoxio BANNED

Is your mage a wizard or a sorceror?
    If he's a wizard, try learning the spell in the same fashion as I have suggested for clerics (ie actively learn the spell overnight)

+ edit +

>Keen (doubles critical threat range): CL = 10th; Keen Edge.
    >Icy Burst (+1d6 or 1d10 cold damage): CL = 10th; Chill Metal OR Ice Storm.
    >Flaming Burst (+1d6 or 1d10 fire damage): CL = 12th; Flame Blade, Flame
    Strike, OR Fireball.

CL = Caster Level

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  12. Dragon_Awakened

She's a Wizard

I will try the suggestion you left. Thanks for the help.

13. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Re: My cleric has the Good and Sun domains.

Welcome to the world of ToEE. LOTS of weirdness comes & goes unbidden.

14. Dragon_Awakened

Problem w/ paida

I finally find Paida(sp?) from Hommlet and now I cannot get the twit to leave the dungeon. I tried leading her out of the temple and took her to hommlet or so I thought. She didn't show. I figure perhaps I have to have an open space in the party roster which sucks because that meant dropping Serena who has done quite well since I started assigning fighter levels to her. I tried that and Serena attacked my party (with all the nice new enchanted equipment I'd made for her) I killed her reluctantly and tried to pick paida back up in case she needed to take that space to get back to Hommlet, no dice. I have cast break enchantment to free her and it worked. I told her she could make it out safely as I had killed all foes behind us. She got pissed off and left but never got back to Hommlet as far as I could tell. I visited her home where hubby was supposed to be. What's the trick? I didn't save the game (thus sparing Serena.)
    ----
    Technical issue: In the fourth level of the temple there are spots where my computer just freezes. No crash to desk top, ctrl+alt+del doesn't break it loose. The computer freezes up and the only way to get things back on track is to pull the plug and start over. Is this a known bug or is it the fact that my computer is only slightly more powerful than an abacus?
    ----
    Spoiler Alert:
    Monks are supposed to be Lawful in alignment right? That pink haired freak with Paida was using monk attacks but when I checked her in the kills list it listed her alignment as Chaotic Evil.

15. Shiningted

The "Paida goes home to the Dungeon" issue is a known issue. Morgan the sailor on lvl 1 does the same thing, wanders back to his cell and if u chat to him there he jovially says, "ahh what brings u back here" and similar comments.

The freeze in Dungeon level 4 is likewise a known issue, related to the Nodes problems. It has a flagged boss monster (Hedrack), node-like graphics around the portals, and path-finding problems near Paida's secret room.

Thats news about the Curry Puff though. There's nothing lawful about that young lady. :blink:

Our Host!