Patch Questions

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by FredSRichardson, Apr 20, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Established Member

Hello,

I've very much enjoyed the 2.0 patch you guys put together, and I had a few questions:

I heard over at the Atari forum that the co8 patch nerfs some of the enemy AI. Is this a known issue? I'd be happy to provide a link to the Atari forum post if someone here wants to respond.

I haven't seen much activity on this forum lately. I was wondering if you guys were taking a much needed break, or perhaps if you were helping out more directly with Steve Moret's patching efforts. I'd certainly be interested in helping out in either case.

Thank again for you good works!

-Fred

2. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

Thanks for your interest.

First of all you should know that Co8 modifications were contributed by several modders, most of which no longer seem to be active. Chris Woods in particular did many of the original fixes for the earlier patch versions.
    That being said, as far as I know, no modifications were made to strategy.tab and the fields in protos.tab which control combat AI. In other words, I do not see how enemy AI could be affected by Co8 patches. Bugbears not tripping their opponents was reported earlier to be included in the buglist. However, later on other players could not reproduce the bug and I decided to strike it off the list. Not all Bugbears are scripted in protos.tab to trip opponents. Some are scripted as
    Berzerkers or Flankers and will exhibit different AI in combat. I will look into the issue in more detail but only if specific examples can be provided.

I have had to deal with added responsibilities and projects in the past few months and will still be very busy in the next few months. Therefore unless there is a resurgence of interest on modding, I must say with heavy regret that I can no longer devote time on a regular basis to it. I am still willing to help anybody to mod a particular aspect of the game, where possible, but only if a serious commitment is made. However most efforts that I have seen tend to be very shortlived. Mere requests will not be entertained. If you want to see something happen you have to be part of the process of making it happen.

I completely understand the anxiousness regarding the 2nd official patch. However please understand that Steve Moret is doing this second patch alone in his free time and since Troika staff are completely tied up with Vampire the Masquerade, it is difficult for him to produce the needed corrections on time. There have been a few additional fixes besides what was on the fix list posted by Steve sometime ago. That is all I can say for now.

If you are interested in helping us out whether through modding or bugtesting you can reach me at zhugetx@yahoo.com where we can discuss this in more detail.

3. FredSRichardson

Hello and thank you for the detailed response!

Yes, I fully realize that co8 is a volunteer project and that you guys have been investing your spare time into making it happen.

I am interested in helping out a bit. I did notice that there's a pending list of things to add to the last patch that I would be happy to help out with. I just didn't want to reinvent the wheel if that work had already been done.

I also understand that Steve Moret is contributing his spare time to rolling out the "official" patch. (If only Atari or Troika were willing to pay him to do this, but that's another topic...). I was just curious to know if the co8 team and Steve worked together on this stuff.

Thanks again, and I think I will take you up on your offer,

-Fred

4. Sagenlicht

Sagenlicht Established Member

Hmm, I just stumbled over this threat. If still needed I also could help in fixing some problems if anyone instructs me how. So if it is needed just pm me.

5. FredSRichardson

I think this is the case (that is, I hope it's the case): it would be ideal to wait until the "Official ToEE 2.0 Patch" that Steve Moret has been working is released before starting to work on a new co8 patch. Even better would be to fold the co8 efforts directly in to Steve Moret's efforts to avoid replicating any work.

But there is always a possiblity that Atari will never manage to release Steve's patch. Allegedly Atari is beta testing the patch now, but who knows if they have the resources or willingness to put much into this. Under these unfortunate circumstances, the co8 effort would have to be renewed trying to replicate some of what Steve Moret's patch does. This patch would be quite limited in what it would be able to fix since we can easily update the resource files, but we can't touch anything that's been hard coded...

6. Sagenlicht

Hmm aboutr the thing with the offical patch I would say we have to be a bit more patient know and give Atari some more time.

I agree that it is best to wait until the offical 2nd patch is released and now waiting for lets say another two weeks does not ruin us, does it?

7. FredSRichardson

I would be willing to wait for longer, perhaps 6 weeks or more.

It will be very discouraging to give up on the official patch. Even more so for Steven Maret and all the folks that helped him beta test his work. There are fixes in the patch that will be impossible to reproduce here because they effect the binary itself. All we can do is patch the various files that define behaviour within the game (like the protos.tab file or the various python style script files).

But there is another way to look at it. Some fixes to the current co8 patch have been well documented on threads in this forum, and they wouldn't be that hard to implement. If I had some instructions on how to go about rolling things up into an installer package like the current release, then I might be able to come out with a new incremental release. It would only address the most egregious (or easy to fix) problems with the current one. I wouldn't want to get much more ambitious than that.

But we're not there yet, I'd much rather work on contributing original material to the game than fixing problems that have already been fixed. We'll have to wait and hope for the best.

8. Sagenlicht

It is not very difficult to create an installer package with the right tools. So I would say don´t worry about that part. If a new "rolloutable-version" of the patch exists I can help creating a new installer version.

But agreed, atm it is th wisest to sit back and wait. Hopefully not too long :)

9. FredSRichardson

Then it's agreed! :)

I'll definitely keep an eye out 'til then.

That's great that you know how to handle the installer packs. I can probably do the other parts.

10. karldar

karldar Member

Hey, guys

I've left the dark side and would like to do some modding(dialogue fixes, esp.), but I guess Official Patch 2.0 release is the sticking point. Mebbe I'll start playin' around with stuff til the patch is released-get my hands dirty, sts. Modifying dialogue shouldn't be a compatibility issue with the patch, should it?

P.S. Thanx to sir_toejam and Fred for the urge to mod... :D

11. FredSRichardson

Hey there! Yes, I think you can learn a lot about modding for this engine before Patch 2.0 comes out. There will be changes, but I believe most things will be the same.

Wecome aboard and happy modding! :)

12. karldar

karldar Member

Sweet!

Work(and yard/housework-stupid grass; I hate you!) is killing my time right now, but hopefully I'll get to read and use Toejam's tutorial this weekend.

13. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

i posted some on editing dlg files today. if u really get into it, check out the post in this forum that details the python variables and usage.

cheers

Our Host!