Party advice? First time in a long time

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by YGH, Jun 11, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. YGH

YGH Member

So I played this once a long time ago, but never got around to finishing it. I’ve had an itch for some D&D action recently, but don’t have time for actual PNP, so I thought giving this a go again might tide me over. Thanks to this community for all your hard work in the interim! I don’t have as much experience with 3.5, so I took a shot at party creation. Would love some ideas if anyone has any.
    1. Human barbarian (probably pick up some fighter levels too?) – combat reflexes, cleave, Glaive basis – mostly damage/movement control, secondary tank

2. Dwarven fighter – straight up sword and board, might consider great weapon though. Primary tank

3. Human sorcerer (probably at least a level of paladin for class skills since they both key off CHA) – primary artillery and party face (high CHA, and social skills from class/paladin, for a level it seemed a better match than Bard...)

4. Elven rogue – scout/trapmonkey, with focus on archery skills as a glass cannon

5. Elven wizard – backup artillery, more control, focus on item crafting

6. Human cleric – maybe a level of paladin for weapons, etc? Healer obviously
    Ideas? Thanks!

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Keep in mind when you change class from Paladin you can not go back and gain any more levels in Paladin.

So, if you want levels in Pally you'll have to gain them all at once. ;)

3. YGH

YGH Member

Thanks for the reminder! I was probably just going to take 1 or 2, so hopefully it won't be an issue.

4. CyrusSpitama

CyrusSpitama Member

Do not forget the issues with paladins becoming fallen. A paladin in the party guarantees you will almost never take those more dubious choices which an otherwise good party would take for purposes of deception. Also, as mentioned in my other thread, http://www.co8.org/community/index.php?threads/your-chosen-ones.11908/ , you will have no one to handle laundry or dish duty :)

5. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

For your dwarven fighter, I recommend using Dwarven War Axe vice sword. As a dwarf, it's a one-handed martial weapon, and it does a d10 vice d8.

6. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I'd add your cleric as an item maker as well to spread the XP drain. Depending on your party's alignment certain quest/found weapons could have an immediate benefit early in the game. Not a real use for scouting or trap detection so maybe just focus on archery instead. For the barbarian a reach weapon is great but there are some enchanted reach weapons to be found in the game- w/o revealing too much you might want to reconsider the glaive...;) A nice mixed bag- hope they survive! :D

7. YGH

YGH Member

Thanks all, much appreciated! Yeah, I picked up the Glaive hint. Would never have considered that otherwise:)

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Are you sure you mean Glaive and not something else that could or could not be behind a false wall in a temple somewhere?

9. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Depending on how many levels of paladin you want to dip, you may find taking fighter instead gives you more. If you take 2 levels of paladin you get CHA to all saves (at the cost of waiting until 8th level for your sorcerer to cast 3rd level spells), but only one level doesn't give much more than a fairly feeble Smite Evil and some extra vulnerabilities, while one level of Fighter gives you an extra feat. Given that you are considering delaying your spellcasting by at least one level, if you are only after weapon proficiencies then burning a feat to allow your cleric to use a particularly tasty weapon once you find it might be more efficient (though crafting and the availability of a decent cleric weapon in Hommlet mean you should be reasonably okay without needing to get into martial weapons). Regardless, you have a pretty decent party right there.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
Our Host!