Otis Otis!!!!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by usualuse, Apr 12, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. usualuse

usualuse Member

I have an NPC named Otis and He is completly overweighted
    but still he wont give anything away...to me nor to any tradesman....Please help me with that...

AND there is a bug in this game which couses every citizen of Hommlet to fight with me...This started when i got back from the mothhouse!!!
    I cannot install a patch couse i have a Polish version...so...???

2. Grey

Grey Member

Kill Otis or let him be killed - once he is down to -10HP, you can transfer inventory items. Then use raise dead to bring him back (Terjon can cast it as a healing service, and Mother Screng in Nulb sells the scrolls).

As for the attacking...
    Usually Hommlet turns against you when you kill an innocent - your logbook will have you labeled "Butcher of hommlet" in the reputation section. But I can't imagine who you killed in the Moathouse that could possible trigger it. Did you kill a Hommlet resident before going to the moathouse?

Well, if you did, or if you're just hitting a bug - the only real solution is to reload an earlier save.

3. usualuse

usualuse Member

well,i had to kill Otis permanently....he did attack me too when we got back to Nulb:D:D:D

It is a common bug ,it appeares without any reason at all...
    i just won't go to Hommlet anymore:(...:>

4. Imortalus

Imortalus Member

I am no expert but when i took Lareth from the moat house in my party all the people in homlet attacked me....so if you took lareth in party perhaps that is where your problem lies

5. psiekier

psiekier Member

That'll definitely do it. Your first clue should be when Brother Smyth comments to you on your "strange choice of adventuring partners."

He knows an awful lot for a simple blacksmith! ;)

I will second Grey's advice: let Otis get killed, take away his items, and bring him back. Since he's already 10th level, it's not like the XP set-back caused by "Raise Dead" is going to make a difference to him.

An alternative would be to craft a pair of magic Gauntlets (Ogre Power or Giant Strength) that raise Otis's strength to where he can easily lift what he's carrying.

Here are some other things I've noticed:
    • You can keep NPC's from looting heavy items by filling up their inventories with lightweight objects such as gloves, chunks of meat, and darts. Just be careful - if an NPC is forced to drop an item while looting, a bug will prevent your character from selling the item if you pick it up later.
    • Make sure at least one or two items each NPC is loaded with are wearable like a chainmail coif or boots. That way, you can temporarily free up a slot in their inventory by donning said item, and give them something they might need like a different weapon, scroll, potion, etc.
    • Otis's brother Elmo is one of the better companions in this regard. Not only does he take but a half share of the money, but he will not loot items (swords, armour, gloves, boots, etc.) from slain foes. This makes it pretty easy to manage his encumberance. Just make sure to collect any valuable items you've asked him to hold on to before bartering, or he will sell them.
    • NPC's that leave the party and later re-join generally hold on to all of their items, even the useless ones. This can some in handy if you've loaded them down with darts and chunks of meat.

6. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

or just not use npcs.... i dont like them much, they are pretty useless, they just take away your loot and your XP... really there is no need for them, and if you find you are not a high enough level without them, well just go random encounters...

Also i couldnt get to level 2 for the first 6 parties i designed, then i found a winner, a cleric, a wizard, a rouge with a bow, a fighter with a sword, and a monk, the cleric doubles as a healing battery and a fighter, so you have 4 fighters, and a wizard with a crossbow who can fight...

Pure casters like wizards are really underpowered by themselves, they NEED a strong party, a wizards job is support, sure he can sling a fireball or two and take out 20 of the minor guys, but their leader will barely feel it, and the only way to take him out is with fighters, support spells like web are awesome too, especially if you have a ring of freedom, you trap everyone, letting your buffed warrior to take them out one by one (and your archers), web lasts forever! oh and if your fighter needs health, no problem run back to cleric for a heal and back into the action...

Also untill you get fireball dont bother with ANY damage dealing spells, get only other effects, sleep is a winner, so i grease and others... Mage armour is also overated, it wastes a spell slot, you need that spell slot for something useful like grease or sleep... later mage armour allows you to craft bracers of mage armour, perpetual +3 or +5 armour, making mage armour absulete

Last edited: May 16, 2004
Our Host!