Orc/Ogre Cave quest empty?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Cetali, Sep 14, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cetali

Cetali Member

Hi there, still trying get a game going in spite of the bugs ...

I started my first game with the Modpack and Frontend. Did some Hommlet quests, saved. When I later loaded the save, I found that the potions and scrolls I had taken from Terjon's had vanished from inventory and each character's XP had dropped from one hundred and something down to 40 or so. Also, the title and description of the orc cave quest were missing in the log book.

Started a new game, and why I haven't had anything vanish on me so far, I just talked to Kelten, and immediatly checked the logbook afterwards, and that quest's title and description are once again missing, it just has the dates. Also, he talks about an orc cave, but on the world map it's ogre cave. Scrolls, potions and XP haven't disappeared so far, even after saving/loading.

Can I expect the vanishing bug again, is this stuff connected? Is the quest appearing like this in the logbook a known result of modding? Should I avoid talking to Kelten, if so, who else will give me the location of the cave?

2. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Recently I have played through ToEE with patch 2.0 and Co8 modpack 5.0.0, but v.1 -exe file (with bundled temple.dll), and that "orcish" quest was nameless and empty. Other bugs were due to bundled temple.dll (511 magic missiles etc.)

Now I play with v.2.0 -exe and external temple.dll and this quest is again nameless and empty in the logbook. But I see no other bugs... Yet.

3. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

IIRC, this issue was fixed in the 5.0.x CMF - though it may be that I'm only remembering it being talked about and not actually fixed. Neither poster states they are using the CMF, I would reccomend installing the 5.0.6 CMF and see if that fixes the problem.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

@Cetali and Sergio Morozov -

The Orc Season bug you are reporting has since been fixed in our cumulative mods and fixes patch.

Please see this thread for more info on how to get the patch: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5980

*whoops, match-post on Erkper. ;)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  5. Cetali

Cetali Member

1. I haven't used the CMF yet cause it said it's beta. If I understand correctly, save games aren't compatible, so I'd have to start over. Are the only problems with the orc cave quest the missing text on the quests page and that it says ogre on the map? I wouldn't start over if I can access the cave just fine, just to get some correct text.

I've also encountered the following bugs, do you know if the CMF fixes these? The first of these is particularly annoying:

2. Duplicates of the party appearing in Hommlet. If you leave the map and return, those duplicates will take the place of your party, and since they're old versions they do not have up to date XPs etc. I believe it is caused by scrolling while the party is moving, but I might be wrong there, and I haven't encountered it on other maps.

3. Cure Moderate Wounds in the Druid spell selection appearing blank just like the orc cave quest in the quest list.

4. If you cast Magic Weapon on Lareth's Staff of Striking, it turns into a +203 weapon for the spell duration. So it always hits, and my cleric dealt 422 points to the giant's bear with it before I realized what was going on.

5. This might not be a bug at all. My Druid is level 5 and has STR, DEX and CON 16 each. Her only Wild Shape option is wolf, and that shape lowers all three of those, so it's useless. Is it supposed to work like this?

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Bravo for making the choice on not using a beta version! :clap: So much more refreshing than folks who use it then complain it is unfinished.

That being said, the CMF has gone through 6 revisions since 5.0.0 Final was released, so pretty much any fixable bug you might find has indeed been fixed. Lots of new content too.

I can't comment on all your issues but i can say:

4) Casting Magic Weapon on magic weapons is a known exploit. You shouldn't do it. I might try a fix for that.

5) Wild Shape is just not that well implemented, or so all the reports say.

7. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Me too!

I mean, I did not use CMF 5.0.6 because it is called "beta" and all that.
    Now I see (I have read the recommended thread), that a lot of things I thought wrong (such as non-respawning merchants' inventories) are fixed now. Great.

8. Cetali

Cetali Member

Yeah, I'll install it and start over. Wasn't too happy with some of my early feat choices anyway. I'll report if any of the bugs mentioned still show up with the CMF installed. I just hope to get rid of that duplicates bug eventually, the rest I can cope with.

For the record, without the CMF I also only get the Lvl 1 domain spells for clerics, the rest never shows up in the menu, and I only get the Lvl 1 spell of one domain, not of both. Also, the Sun domain's Greater Turning doesn't just work once per day as it's supposed to, but every single time (every TU attempt destroys instead of just making them flee).

9. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Did your wolf-shape's stats look like this?
    Str 13, Dex 15, Con 15

If so, they are the correct stats according to Monster Manual. This is why if you have a buff druid, Wildshape is not very useful until you can go Large (although in PnP changing into an avian is quite useful).

10. Cetali

Cetali Member

Yes, those were the stats. I had been looking forward to wild shape, but this way it was rather underwhelming.

Another one:

In the description of the Precise Shot feat, it says you can shoot into melee "with" the standard -4 penalty, should be "without".

Sorry if these are already known, I figure it's better to report once too often ...

11. Shiningted

Oooo, typos - those we can fix :) I'll put my hand up for that, and do the 'Simple Weapon Proficiencies' at the same time (if I can find them).
    Did you have 'Improved Turning'? I thought 'Greater Turning' just gave you more chances to do it?

12. Basil the Timid

@Ted, you are confusing Greater Turning with Extra Turning. Cetali's description is correct (and confirmed Atari bug #71). I can confirm that Greater Turning should only function once per day regardless of other (standard) turning feats.

Improved Turning, FYI, allows the turning attempt to be done at +1 class level.

Btw, how did this thread about the Ogre cave deviate through so many other topics?

13. Cetali

Cetali Member

No, I had a cleric with the Sun domain and without the Improved Turning feat. I could select Greater Turning from the radial menu several rounds in a row and it would always work, i.e. destroy undead. If I recall correctly, its color in the menu changed after the first use, but that was all.

How does the game handle "once per day" counts anyway? Does it run an actual clock and you can do them once every 24 game hours, or is it actually something like "once between 8 hour rests"?

I suppose I could just have spammed the forum with individual threads for every point ...

14. Basil the Timid

Sorry, dude, my fault. I thought this was part of a different, much longer thread.

15. Shiningted

And that one's my fault. Thanks Basil.
    Thats a good question, I have no idea. We should test that. For items there is simply a column in protos.tab, but for a domain effect I dare say it is just in the engine somewhere.

Our Host!