Ophelia...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Spike, Sep 10, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

...on the move!

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm16/closeupsatellite_large_animated.html

It is being predicted that the storm is headed our way, but that prediction has changed yet again. Bottom line is that no one can really say where she's going to wind up. The projected path changes hourly, so we'll all be watching and waiting. It looks like the NW quadrant is really weak, and the storm is not as organized as it might be. It just made hurricane status again, and it's wobbled a good bit, so we'll see where we end up. I was out on the lake this morning, and could see the rim of the circulation hundreds of miles away...and there was a good bit of gusty wind, too. Portents of what may yet come to pass. Check the pics below...those clouds are the storm in the distance. I'll post more as time and weather permit!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  2. Drifter

Drifter Established Member

Looks like some small ordinary clouds on a clear day, if you ask me.

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

looks like a southerly rolling up to me - If I saw clouds like that here, I'd be thinking "Oh great lots of wind and rain"

Afew weeks ago me and my flat mates were outside having a ciggy (we always smoke outside) and we saw a little flash. "what was that?" one of us said.
    "dunno, lightenin' I think" said the other.
    "look there'it'is again, canya hear anything?"
    "nope, lets walk down the street to get a better view"
    "fuck the air is so still and quiet"
    "woah, look at that one, it went across the whole horizon, did ya see it?"
    "hell yeah"
    5min later, "hey did ya here that?"
    "yeah it was thunder"
    2min later "god damn that thunder is loud"
    "hey look at the storm cloud rolling in, fuck thats moving quick, it's just about over our heads and it was only just over the horizon when we got out here"
    "here's the wind"
    1min later "hey what's that noise?"
    "ummm... FUCK thats hail RUN!"
    30sec later and just getting inside - a wall of ice hits my house, we called our mate that we were going to meet in town, who was allready in there, and said to here "get inside now" she waited 2 mins-ish and got hailed on - thats 100ish kmph - 60mph. it was a good storm, a bit of flooding and damage nothing like what the North Korean weather machine's done to the states tho.

4. Lord_Spike

Sure, they look small & ordinary...from here. It's hundreds of miles off, and moving away. The clouds were gone this morning, over the horizon. The prediction is that a dome of high pressure will steer it east, then south, then north, looping it back into the SC/NC coast in a few days at cat 2. The diminished NW quadrant is due to shear from the winds moving around the center of the high. Still very much on everyone's radar, so to speak. If it comes back, I'll get more pics.

EDIT: The clouds have returned, but the storm is still moving in a direction that makes the whole affair...unpredictable at best. The latest forecast has us out of the tracking cone, and it may miss the Carolinas altogether. Still cat 1, but blowing off a lot of vapor. Notice the banded appearance to the clouds...these were taken at 615PM or so, EDT

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2005
  5. Lord_Spike

Today's pics...

Attached Files:

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Of course you realize that if you post more than 1 picture at a time, NONE of them show up!

7. Drifter

Spike, do you have a big version of ophelia3.jpg?
    Would be a nice desktop pic for me...

8. Lord_Spike

Well, er, no, but this way you get to see more if you click on 'em.

I shrank them down a little, and I'll see if I can't blow them back up some. Here are some more from today. We're quite fortunate that it's not a truly serious threat to us. 40 mph winds & 1" of rain expected here later tonight. Lots of summer thunder storms are far worse than that.

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      78.5 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      44.3 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      42 KB
      Views:
    • 12.JPG
      12.JPG
      File size:
      49.6 KB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      File size:
      44.4 KB
      Views:
  9. Lord_Spike

Drifter - See if this is ok. It's got some pixelation, but maybe you can mess with it some.

Attached Files:

10. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

The problem is, well, that there is nothing to click on. I don't know how drifter can see them, because I got nothing.

11. Lord_Spike

That's odd...I have a number of files attached to each post, as Allyx alluded to. There's supposed to be a little link to the pic like with a zipped file modders always post.

Can anyone say what's going on?

12. Drifter

It's the Hellgate skin problem (it shows the attached zip tho).
    So for those who don't see, swicth to default skin... or nuke teh admin to fix it. :grin:

13. Drifter

Thanks for the pic. Yea, it's kind of ugly around the treetops coz of too much compression, but nevermind...
    Those todays pics are cool too.
    I like the "setting sun through clouds" effects. Especially if it's some dark clouds. And get illuminated by sun with varying shades.

14. Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus Beholder Watcher Veteran

Yeah, I can't see it in the Hellgate skin. I think it's got something to do with the fact that the mod in question may not be fully compatible with the attachments mod. I can however see the zipped up file.

In the future, what you can do is host your images for free (you dont need an account and it's faster than attachments at CO8) on http://www.imageshack.us and just link to them there.

15. Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus Beholder Watcher Veteran

I'm fixing it.

Our Host!