Only in Minnesota, I swear

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Necroticpus, Jul 17, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Everyone, gather round! Leave everything behind and come live in Minnesota! We'll give you free money and free food and free healthcare and free housing and we'll make it real easy for you to take advantage of the welfare system so you can buy $400,000 worth of cars while still collecting welfare benefits! You can use the money from welfare to buy drugs and then sell the food stamps for money to buy drugs. Hell, some bars around here used to take food stamps for drinks! Let us worry about the problems!

County: Welfare couple spent $161,000 on cars
    While receiving financial assistance amounting to almost $20,000, a Duluth couple hid an inheritance with which they went on a spending spree.

By: Mark Stodghill, Duluth News Tribune

A Duluth couple with five children is accused of buying a new Cadillac Escalade SUV and a new Nissan Titan pickup at the same time as they were drawing St. Louis County welfare benefits.

James Lauer, 49, and Tari Lee Lauer, 42, each are charged with five counts of welfare fraud, including four felonies apiece, for wrongfully obtaining public assistance. They’re accused of wrongfully receiving cash, food support, medical assistance and child-care assistance totaling almost $20,000 during various periods from October 2006 to July 2008 while failing to report about $400,000 in income and assets.

They’ve been summoned to appear in St. Louis County District Court to face the charges on Aug. 12.

Tari Lauer didn’t return a recorded phone message left for her on Thursday. She was in the news last month when she reported her mother and brother to Duluth police for reportedly growing marijuana in the basement of the house where the mother and son lived across the street from Kenwood Elementary School. Carolyn Joanna Brooks and Robert Brooks Hoel are each charged with felony sale of marijuana in a school zone.

In 2008, Tari Lauer pleaded guilty to a charge of child endangerment after admitting to smoking crack cocaine in her residence and exposing her twins to the smoke. The twins were 3 at the time. The crime was discovered after a St. Louis County social worker made an unannounced visit to the home.

According to the complaint charging James and Tari Lauer with welfare fraud:

The couple reported that neither they nor any household members received unearned income or owned assets such as cash, bank accounts, other financial assets or vehicles.

However, an investigator with the St. Louis County Fraud Prevention Unit discovered that Tari Lauer had received a large cash inheritance from her deceased father. On March 28, 2008 — at a time she was receiving public assistance — she deposited $50,000 into a checking account and on April 18, 2008, deposited another $246,781.10 into a checking account.

Tari Lauer received a used Cadillac Deville from her deceased father’s estate, which was not reported to the county. Three months later, she purchased a $37,000 Chevrolet Avalanche sport utility truck. Four months later she purchased a $67,094 Cadillac Escalade and bought her husband a $38,680.07 Nissan Titan on the same day. A month later, the couple purchased a 2007 Ford Mustang convertible for $18,283.43 that is registered in both their names.

An investigator with the St. Louis County Fraud Prevention Unit interviewed Tari Lauer. She admitted that she

didn’t report any of her vehicles or her inheritance to her St. Louis County financial worker. She said a combination of her drug addiction and her husband’s “deliberate orchestrating of the situation and taking advantage of her” caused the fraud, the complaint alleges. Tari Lauer has a Duluth address. James Lauer now has an Oakdale, Minn., address, according to the criminal complaint.

The complaint against James Lauer alleges that he used medical assistance to pay for thousands of dollars in prescriptions and other medical expenses after the time that he was aware of the couple’s ineligibility for benefits.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Sadly that happens here a lot too.
    The welfare state was set up after the first and second world wars to help working people in genuine need.
    The only answer is eternal vigulence

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Hats off to that investigator that saw it for what it was.

4. Necroticpus

Do they have welfare in England? What's it called?

5. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Necro
    I'm not 100% certain, but I think what we call "Welfare" is called "Social Insurance" in the U. K. . Let us not forget it's not just "The Little Guy" who sometimes cheats the system. I remember back in the '80s when the Pentagon was paying $600 for Toilet Seats and $400 for Hammers. Don't forget Alaska's "Bridge to Nowhere", that was an even bigger waste of taxpayer dollars. What we need is a 20th Level Cleric to Resurrect Senator William Proxmire (D- Wis). Senator Proxmire was famous for his "Golden Fleece Awards" that he "bestowed" on Government projects or studies that he thought were a waste of taxpayer money.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Proxmire
    The Royal Canadian

6. Necroticpus

That's really awful. I mean the fact that I remember all of those examples. :peace:

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Fair Warning: Resurrecting ANY politician opens a gate directly to the Infernal Host.

I.E., Business as Usual in Washington, D.C.

8. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Welfare goes by a host of names here.
    There are people who know how to work the system and do quite well out of it.
    But most people just get by on it.
    My next door neighbour had to go on it when she had a kid and couldn't work.
    I think she had the interest on her mortgage paid and money for food but we ended up having to help her out from time to time. She was pretty happy when she got back into fulltime employment.
    I'm self employed so even though I pay into the system I'll get nothing out of it unless I'm destitute.

However the thought of all those famillies who have been able to survive without a wage earner for three generations due inpart to my contributions is reward enough.

9. Argamh

Argamh Member

I'm the father of one of Tari Lauer's children and I've not only been paying her child support but I've ALSO been paying a portion of what she got for welfare back as well. SO, as you can imagine.... I'm a BIT pissed.....

10. Necroticpus

My condolences. I myself went through a bad time with a crazy, drugged out ex-demon but it turned out better for me. Maybe you could get your child back after these shenanigans.

11. Argamh

Argamh Member

Not really sure if I can get my son back or not. I plan on trying however. Oddly enoough, I JUST found out about whats going on with her through a friend of mine in law enforcement. And THTA was a few days ago. As much as Ive been TRYING to NOT have hate in my heart, I can honestly saw that there's a SPECIAL place in hell waiting with her name inscribed in blood and misery.

12. Argamh

Argamh Member

Sorry about the typos. I slammed my right hand in the cat door this morning, so typing is a bit^% right now. Things are going my way LOL

Our Host!