NPCs original build

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Netjack, Mar 17, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Netjack

Netjack Member

So i've never actually beaten this game, I pretty much found this mod after getting this game.

My problem is, even though I'm sure I can make a far better build then what the game was going to do, I would rather have what those characters where going to be for their original 10 levels.

As in, what feats did they take, what classes if they switched. I'll have fun after going over level 10, but I would rather try to be as close to the original as possible.

Also, I probably could make a better character the the ones available, but I feel having an NPC adds more to the story, since they sometime will say things on their own, also, will they add anything?

Right now the two NPC I am having trouble with is Elmo and Spugnoir, I might switch one of them out with Serena or Zaxis since I like that cleric this mod adds.

Should I keep Serena a slave? My party is suppose to be neutral good but The idea of her not taking any shares is great. I know I can turn on humble NPCs, but I again, feel that would be unfair to the games original design.

Anyway, What is elmo and Spugnoir original builds?

2. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    I don't know exactly what you mean by "original builds" but in the original "Paper and Pencil" version of ToEE, Elmo was a 4th Lvl Ranger and Spugnoir was a Magic-user ( the original title for a Wizard who didn't specialize in any school of magic ). Keep in mind that when Gary Gygax wrote "The Village of Hommlett" way back in the 1980's, Wizards could not speciallize in Schools of magic ( other than Illusion ) and most of the feats that are available in the Version 3.5 rules did not exist.
    TRC

3. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Sorcerer'sPlace, icon on the top-left, has a detailed list of npc's in there ToEE tips and hints section. Print a copy and take a look at it. It has stats, weapons, feats, etc. Lot's of good info. Check it out.

4. Netjack

Netjack Member

I mean that without the mod, the NPCs would level up them selfs. When ever Elmo received a level, that game would quickly automatically do the level for the npc. What was the automatic NPC leveling?

For example, Elmo would eventually receive level of ranger. When, and what feats and class features did he pick?

ok wiz, I will go check that out.

Well, i found it, but it doesn't really say what he takes in both classes, just that he does it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  5. Oerdin

Oerdin Member

Most of the feats? Hell, I don't remember there being ANY feats in 1st or 2nd edition. Never played 3 or 3.5 and have no intentions of playing 4 when ever it is released. My AD&D days died around 1993 and no with a full time job, mortgage, live in girlfriend, etc there is no time. Playing the odd video game for a couple of hours is as close to escapism as I can manage. ;)

6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

There were no feats in 1st Edition AD&D. Classes had abilities, but these were not feats. Feats were a new optional rule for characters in AD&D 2nd Edition. This started with the Wilderness Survival Guide and Expanding Proficieny Slots (Optional Rule), page 12.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  7. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Elmo can't and wont ever be a Ranger due to game restrictions. It would take some serious mod changes to do it. Class restrictions, weapons, armour, feats, etc,etc,etc. Troika didn't make Elmo a Ranger because of the 3.5 rules and restrictions and Elmo is a first edition npc. Big hassle all the way around.

8. Netjack

Netjack Member

Why is everyone talking about first edition and second edition, advance edition, D&D, I am talking about the PC game Temple of elemental evil "based on D&D 3.0-3.5". (I hope 4.0 is good)

I do not want to put him down on a character sheet, although, I would love to make a campaign around this game.

I feel like we are talking about two different things here now.

Right now I can make Elmo take levels in cleric if I wanted too (I can pick almost any class right now, all though it would be a bad idea to pick certain classes) "Elmo the town drunk NPC that you can hire right off the bat", From of understanding of in this computer game, elmo originally leveled himself up in ranger and fighter. The game is giving me complete control on how he levels. All I want to know What was his default level progression choices. Before installing Co8.

When you install the game, fresh, and if you where to play it through, and if you hired elmo to follow you the entire game, HOW does he level, since you do not have any control over how NPCs level. What feat does he pick, How many levels of fighter, and how many levels of ranger does he pick. That is what I am asking. I have no idea what you mean about him not being a ranger because of restrictions, since, if I am to assume correctly, he would level in ranger himself.....

Am I talking in the right area?

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Get your hands on Phalzyr's ProtoEd from the Downloads section. Go to data/rules and use it to open up the file leveulup.tab. This will answer all your questions.

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

You could also reinstall the game and not select the option to level up NPCs like PCs. That way the game would still level them up for you like in vanilla.

Our Host!