NPCs and skills

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Basil the Timid, Aug 5, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I would just like to double-check. Which skills are completely worthless for party NPCs to have? I had read over on KotB that Appraise checks use the best in the party. Spot and Listen same. I'm pretty sure Diplomacy and Intimidate are worthless. Anything else?

2. thearioch

thearioch Need More Cowbell

Per ShiningTed's Modding Tutorial, dialogs can test for at least the following skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, and Sense Motive. I'm pretty sure I've seen each one used at least once in a dialog, so I'd say none of these are worthless. Unlike Appraise, the dialog can test for either the speaker or any party member (author's choice).

--thearioch

3. Basil the Timid

The dialog only tests the speaker, who must be a PC. NPCs don't get tested for those skills, right?

However, Bluff can still be used by party NPCs for feinting and it gives synergy bonus to sleight of hands.

Are you saying that Appraise could test speaker or any party member? Does anyone know off-hand which vendors do what? I'm simply wondering if it is worthwhile to have Spugnoir invest in this cross-class skill with his superfluous skill points and raven familiar, or if I need a PC to do it.

4. thearioch

thearioch Need More Cowbell

That's what I get from having too many windows open -- I forgot we were talking about NPCs. Unless the dlg author explicitly tests for NPC skills (not sure if possible), Diplomacy and Intimidate are probably useless.

As you pointed out, Bluff is usable (and NPCs should use Sense Motive against monster Bluffs).

I don't think Gather Info would be useful for NPCs.

--thearioch

5. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Generally speaking, yes, the social skill are useless (with bluff n sense motive exceptions) for NPCs.
    If you're going to spend some "superfluous" skill points, buy tumble, it's quite useful for wizards.

Still, i think i've seen some intimidate checks or the like on Ronald, and some other with Taki/Ashrem on the nodes.
    And some scripter could do Murfles actually using bluff to hide their nature, y'now. If you're better at sense motive or whatever, then you discover their secret. I always found frustrating the "only to level 5" thing.

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Not sure what you mean there H_K? You mean you can intimidate them into doing stuff? NPC followers are like other NPCs in that sense, I think, there are moments the social skills will have an impact.

Ronald was specifically set up with certain skills that played next to no role in the game - such as ranks in Appraise and Perform - because it was consistent with his background story. Role-players will love this, munchkins will probably hate it.

EDIT: I'll just add the original protos.tab regularly gave monsters ranks in Jump, Climb and other skills not implemented in ToEE.

7. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

No, i mean they actually use those skills, should check the dlg...not quite sure. :errf:
    But it will be cool if they try to intimidate you (they could open different options of dialog, depending if they affect you or not)

8. Basil the Timid

So, if I understand correctly, Appraise, Spot, Listen, and Search (for non-rogues) ARE useful for NPC followers?

Our Host!