NPC and Inventory

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by fatboydan, Mar 15, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. fatboydan

fatboydan Member

Okay, so I pick an NPC or two to help out 'cause big frogs can get kinda nasty... and then they take all my loot... and I can't get it back... -=whaaaah=-!
    Seriously, anyone have a clue how I can get them to at least not encumber themselves to the point where they can't walk?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. Grey

Grey Member

Unfortunately, no.

The solution is to kill them and get what they took (I guess you can raise them back afterwards, but I'm not sure if you have to also permanently remove them from the party before you can take items from them).

The best solution is to not use the NPCs, although some tend to be kinder looters - Elmo has gotten good reviews, Spugnoir only takes scroll, Wicked (in Temple prison cell) takes only coins and jewelry, Thrommel (temporary addition) does not loot, and there may be others, but in general the NPCs are a waste.

3. fatboydan

fatboydan Member

Thanks

Too bad, it's nice to have some help but not if they can't manage to walk around! :) I appreciate your time and help!

4. Herkum

Herkum Member

I have found the easiest way to deal with the looting thing is to come back in a few days(game time) All the bodies have disappeared but the stuff gets left behind. NPCs will not loot stuff that you collect on the ground.

That still does not solve the problem with getting items from chests though.

5. Grey

Grey Member

Good point.

Also, I found out for sure: whe they are dead, but still in-party, you can take their items and such - you don't have to remove them from your party.

Weird aside I just discovered: I was carrying my dead wife, Fruella, around, and I had been keeping gems, etc. in her inventory until we got back "home" to Nulb. When I bartered with a merchant, the merchant still bartered with my dead NPC wife before me, so she sold all the stuff she had been carrying and I had to buy it back.

Crazy, right? I mean, she was dead.

:roll:

6. psiekier

psiekier Member

Like I mentioned in another post, my solution was to load the NPC's up with lightweight items such as gloves, chunks of meat, and darts. They can't encumber themselves if they can't pick it up!

Just be sure that you divest them of anything they might sell before you barter with any merchants. You can tell what they will sell by whether or not they are willing to hand it to another member of the party.

7. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

hmm. you might try looking at the mods section of this very site!!! there is a fix for looting (shin's looting and AI fix) that causes all npc's to just loot gold. BTW, this will only work if u apply the patch BEFORE you hire the NPC. you could also edit the protos.tab file yourself, and change the looting behavior of any npc you want.

8. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

best solution, dont use npcs... they only take away your XP anyways, pretend the npcs arent really an option, that they are an unimplemented feature...

Our Host!