Notes on Weapon Focus and Starting Weapons

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by The Royal Canadian, Sep 27, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    Someone ( I apologize for not remembering who ) stated that they had created two characters with Weapon Focus: Longsword, and neither of them started with a Longsword. That prompted me to do some testing on Weapon Focus and starting weapons. There are several weapons that have unusual "effects" when you select Weapon Focus (to include one that you MUST NOT select ) for a starting character.

If you select Weapon Focus for any of the following weapons, your character ( I tested this using Human Fighters ) will NOT start with the weapon in his/her inventory:
    Gauntlet, Punching Dagger, Sickle, Scimitar (kinda sucks for Druids), Light Pick, Longsword, Butterfly Sword, Monk Spade, War Fan, Kama, Siangham, Tonfa

DO NOT under any circumstances select Weapon Focus: Hand Crossbow for a starting character !! The first time you access the character's inventory screen your game will CTD.

Other odd notes on starting weapons:
    1.) Any character that selects "Weapon Finesse" as a starting feat, will start with a dagger.
    2.) Any character that selects "Weapon Focus: Orc Double Axe", will start with a Battle Axe.
    3.) Any Fighter can select "Weapon Focus: Bastard Sword" and "Weapon Focus: Dwarven War Axe" without first selecting "Exotic Weapon Proficiency" with those weapons and start with the "focused" weapon.
    4.) Unlike Gnome Fighters that can select "Weapon Focus: Gnome Hooked Hammer" without taking the EWP first, Halfling Fighters have to select "E.W.P. Siangham" before selecting "W. F. Siangham" (and they still won't start with the Siangham in their kit).

I should point out that these results were from a test done in Co8 5.9.1 .

The Royal Canadian

2. mmonagle

mmonagle Established Member

Thanks for sharing. And for taking the time to test all this and post your findings.

3. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I was trying to do some testing myself this morning but had to get to work. By the time I was home I was disheartened with all the weapons availble. I can confirm the following weapons were not showing up with 5.92 though. Then I saw this post and so will just add my partial results.

Gauntlet
    Punching Dagger
    sickle
    throwing ax
    light pick
    longsword
    scimitar
    greatclub

4. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

This may have to do that you can still use these weapons two handed at no penalty.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  5. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Indeed. I am somewhat disappointed at that since I made a character with that focus. Additionally, the normal and masterwork versions of the wpn isn't available in the game despite being listed in the description.mes. In short, the only Orc Double-Axe you could ever get in-game is the one from Hickory Branch.

6. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    Yep. You are correct. I just created a Human Fighter with WF Bastard Sword and WF Dwarven War Axe. He started with both weapons but couldn't use a shield with either weapon. It might be nice if the WF feat was modified somehow so that if a Human Fighter without the EWP wanted to select WF in either of those weapons it would read as "Bastard Sword: Two handed" or "Dwarven War Axe: Two Handed"
    The Royal Canadian

Our Host!