Non-Enhancement Bonus in Protos.tab

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Kharagh, May 25, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kharagh

Kharagh Established Member

Is it possible to give an item an attribute bonus that is not an enhancement bonus? For example, Moon-Ivy armor (pheromones) is supposed to give an untyped +3 bonus to charisma (so it should stack with a cloak of charisma). But when I remove the "enhancement" part of the bonus in protos.tab (or replace it with "insight", "competence", etc.) it removes the bonus in-game altogether. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

Similarly, I'd like to fix the armor bonus on the Dusty Rose ioun stone (it should not be a deflection bonus and should thus stack with a ring of protection).

Finally, I'm considering trying out Temple Plus. Will my changes to protos.tab be lost if I do so?

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

You could add the Charisma Competence Bonus to the Moon-Ivy armour, IIRC that is a +3 bonus to charisma checks, as for the Dusty Rose Ioun Stone you could alter it to Familiar Skill Bonus - Dodge (which obviously wouldn't stack with Dodge) or add San_use_item, and write a script for the item to add the bonus another way.

3. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I'm not sure I understand what you've done exactly, but there is no such thing as Insight bonus in ToEE, so if you tried changing the bonus from Attribute Enhancement Bonus to Insight Bonus it won't work. But like allyx said Charisa Competence Bonus will add a +3 bonus to Charisma skill checks, with the bonus type ("34") being shared (non-stacking) with:
    Guidance, Potion of Heroism/SuperHeroism (0x100d2b40), Armor Shadow / Silent Moves (0x10102370; registers as "feat"), Charisma Competence Bonus (0x10104880; feat (probably for paladins???)), Skill Competence Bonus, Bracers of Archery To Hit (Feat)

The list of bonus types that I've mapped so far is: (of which only 0,8, and 21 stack)
    Code:
    0 - generic (no stacking limit)
    1 - Initial Value, Thieves' Tools / Bardic Ins. (penalty only), Max Dex Bonus,  Armor Penalty, Divine Power To Hit bonus capper, Magic Stone To Hit Bonus 2, Magic Fang To Hit Bonus 2
    2 - str bonus  (e.g. Weapon Finesse To Hit capper)
    3 - dex bonus (e.g. Weapon Finesse, Armor Ac Bonus Cap Value, Invisibility AC Bonus 2 cap, Flatfooted AC bonus cap, Feint AC Bonus 2 cap)
    4 - con bonus
    5 - int bonus
    6 - will bonus
    7 - cha bonus
    8 - Dodge, Uncanny Dodge, Mobility, Combat Expertise ( no stacking limit ), Haste AC bonus, Invisibility Cap, Flatfooted AC bonus cap, Feint AC Bonus 2 Cap, Boots of Speed AC Bonus, Fight Defensively AC Bonus
    9 - Tree Shape AC Bonus, Gaseous Form AC Bonus cap 0
    10 - barkskin, 
    11 - Deflection bonus, Chaos Hammer AC bonus, Magic Circle AC Bonus 2, Protection From Alignment AC Bonus, Protection from Monster AC Bonus
    12 - Augment Summoning Stat Bonus, Weapon Masterwork To hit bonus, Weapon Enhancement To hit bonus, Armor Enhancement AC bonus, Fragarach To Hit Bonus, Magic Vestment AC Bonus
    13 - morale (?)   used by cause fear,  Aid To Hit Bonus 2, Bless To Hit Bonus 2, Bane To Hit Bonus 2, Heroism To Hit Bonus 2, Aura Of Courage saving throw
    14 - Prayer, Divine Favor
    15 - Saving Throw Resisance Bonus, Luck Poison Save Bonus
    21 - Circumstance Bonus (no stacking limit)   Potion of hiding/sneaking 0x100d2b20, Thieves Tools Masterwork (0x10104530), Cooperation Bonus (secret door search)
    28 - Armor Bonus, Gaseous Form AC Bonus Cap 0, Mage Armor AC bonus
    29 - Two Weapon Defense, Shield AC Bonus, Buckler AC Bonus, Shield Spell AC Bonus, Shield of Faith AC Bonus
    31 - Racial Save Bonus
    32 - Synergy (?)
    33 - Shield Enhancement AC Bonus
    34 - Guidance, Potion of Heroism/SuperHeroism (0x100d2b40), Armor Shadow / Silent Moves (0x10102370; registers as "feat"), Charisma Competence Bonus (0x10104880; feat (probably for paladins???)), Skill Competence Bonus, Bracers of Archery To Hit (Feat)
    36 - Spell Resistance?
    37 - Bracers of Archery cap

99 - Special Equipment Skill Bonus (NEW!)
    Templeplus will preserve protos.tab edits (except for some particular items where I used overrides for Co8 entries to correct bugs or make additions). Adding new ones is not fully supported though since it currently overrides the entire description.mes.
    You can overcome this however by unpacking co8fixes.dat, changing whatever you want, and repacking it.

On that note, you can now also define new bonus types this way via python. Check out tpgamefiles.dat - unpack and look inside scr\tpModifiers. There's even an example for adding an Armor Class modifier inside pymod_example.py. You can create a new file by following that example. Don't forget to add it to _init.py, and pack your changes into tpgamefiles.dat.

4. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

For the Dusty rose Ioun Stone, these are the six main options you have to choose from, but they will all Not stack if they conflict in some way with another item you may have.
    • Deflection Bonus
    • Armor Bonus
    • Armor Enhancemnet Bonus
    • Shield Bonus
    • Shield Enhancement Bonus
    • Amulet of Natural Armor

I would suggest tailoring the bonus based on the current party you are adventuring with, choosing the one that causes the fewest conflicts based on type of protective items they wear.

'Deflection Bonus' is probably the worst choice, since everyone generally has a ring of protection.

'Shield Enhancement Bonus' is the one most likely to work best, as it only conflicts if you have a magic shield. The good news is that a regular shield or the Shield spell will stack just fine, since it's an 'Enhancement Bonus' and not a 'Shield Bonus'. Even the shield bonus from Any shield will stack with this, just the magic part won't.

'Amulet of Natural Armor' would work very well if you don't have a druid buffing barkskin or making amulets.

Sitra, how exactly would I enter the 'Haste AC bonus' in as a Property in protos.tab, if possible? Since it stacks, it seems like it would be the ideal solution.

5. Sitra Achara

It is an inseparable part of the Haste / Potion of Haste / Boots of Speed conditions:
    https://github.com/GrognardsFromHel.../Conditions-List-Pt2-(spell-effects)#sp-haste

You can also hex edit the Shield Enhancement Bonus to be stackable: change DLL offset 0x10044B from
    Code:
    6A 21
    to
    Code:
    6A 00
    I think it shouldn't affect anything since you can only wear one shield at a time anyway.

Oh, note that Shield Enhancement Bonus won't affect touch attacks (not sure if it should).

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  6. marc1967

Oh, that's beautiful. Now a generic stackable AC bonus can be added to any magic item, or even a spell via a spell object.

Gotta love your 2 byte solutions. :)

7. Sitra Achara

Not the best one actually... Shield Enhancement Bonus also gives you an untyped skill bonus to various skill (Masterwork skill bonus) and a bonus to ability score checks (which IIRC is only used in Trip attempts).

8. marc1967

As far as the skill adjustments, it can be handled the same way it is with shields that don't have an Armor Check Penalty like the Wooden Elvish Shield, by adding all this stuff:

Skill Circumstance Bonus
    skill_hide
    Skill Circumstance Bonus
    skill_move_silently
    Skill Circumstance Bonus
    skill_pick_pocket
    Skill Circumstance Bonus
    skill_use_magic_device

(btw, i've long wondered why skill_use_magic_device affects the Tumble skill instead of Use Mgic Device, i'm assuming it is some sort of internal mix up)

Regarding Trip, from what I can see so far in limited testing, the +1 to trip for Masterwork bonus only gets added if the item is worn.

The last concern is stacking multiple stones in one inventory which would need to be handled with some sort of san_insert_item() processing, which would be an effort.

9. Sitra Achara

I may be biased but I prefer the Temple+ method of defining a new 'Ioun Stone AC Bonus' condition ;)

Our Host!