Non-Appearing Secret Doors

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Kalshane, Apr 26, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Has anyone figured out the cause/fix for the bug where secret doors won't appear? (Summary: Secret doors, barring 1 or 2 that apparently are coded into the game to always appear regardless of Search scores, just plain don't show up. No amount of searching in the area will cause them to appear. A game can be working fine up to that point, then once you run into one secret door that won't appear none of the other secret doors in the game will either.) I just ran into the problem with my new game for Livonya's 1.5 mod and considering I did every stupid fed ex quest in Homlett, I really don't want to start over and my last save was over 2 hours ago.

Last time I ran into it was around level 6 of an Iron Man game a few months ago. I was not amused.

2. Kalshane

*listens to the sounds of crickets* Anyone? Anyone? Buehler? Anyone?

Even a command that could be typed into the console would be nice. Trying to complete the later parts of the game without the secret door "shortcuts" is a major PITA.

3. ldonyo

ldonyo Member

I've never run into that, but I wasn't looking for it before, either. I'll keep the disappearing secret doors in mind as I play through Livonya's 1.5 mod.

4. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Will watch out for it but never noticed it happening unless playing an Atari patch on its own.

Any doors in particular you find disappearing? (Trawling through Atari threads it was the moathouse ones that people complained about most, but again I've never had one disappear after appearing for the first time).

5. Kalshane

It's not that they disappear, it's that there's no way to get them to appear in the first place. The ones that do appear stay, even when the bug kicks in and prevents later doors from appearing.

In the current game the secret doors in the Moat House won't appear (and previous experience tells me no other secret doors will either after this point) but I've had the problem start in the secret passage under the temple from the guard tower in other games.

6. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

Kal, I've had it happen as well. Quite often, as a matter of fact. I don't have a solution except to say I either live with it, or i restart (yes, from the begining). I know this dosen't help, but just know it's not just you.

7. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

ive had a couple of secret doors in the moathouse i couldnt find but i didnt worry about it since there is no guarentee about finding something on a search. ive gone back after making a level and found them later. my elf thief is really good at finding secrect doors but sometimes she will miss.

8. Zebedee

Kalshane - do you have two different parties saved when the bug appeared? I'm going through old posts (no fixes for when it happens sadly) and having more than one party saved seems to be a very common element to getting this bug.

9. Kalshane

Okay, I just tried starting two new seperate new games and each one I couldn't find the Moathouse secret doors. I tried a Lawful Good party and a Neutral Good party (in addition to the Chaotic Good party I initially ran into the problem with) on the off chance it was something to do with the opening vingettes. Something in the 1.5 mod is not agreeing with my system apparently, because I've never run into it this frequently. It was more of an occaisional annoyance. I even tried using the console to level up my rogue, leave the moathouse and come back. Still nothing. After I got the rogue up to level 5 with no results I gave up. I also tried deleting the weird files in the maps folder again, just on the off-chance it was in there. No luck.

10. Kalshane

Zeb,

I have numerous parties saved on my PC and have been for as long as I've been playing the game. I suppose I could try moving all my save games to different folder and see what happens.

11. Zebedee

I think that once this happens in the game, that's it. It's got to be something not being reset on game creation. Most of the bug reports for this one seem to be that "I'm playing a new game and it worked fine before" so it's going to be something not resetting on game creation. Not that it helps any but it's at least a start for anyone who is capable of going into the game code :shock:

edit: can't test myself, but if you remove all your saved games/characters out. Reset computer, reloaded game and re-rolled characters, is the bug still there?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  12. michaelcarlylle

michaelcarlylle Member

also am having the same problem with the secret doors (moathouse currently, i restarted my games).

how was steps in installing the patches? and if possible your config (hardware, O/S, etc...)

even with the detect secret doors spell the secret doors won't come out. my cursor changes to the hand then the animation for the door happens, but no ladder, door, etc. icon comes out.

here's my current setup:

-more than minimum recommended settings (my brother is the pc techie, i'm just a gamer)
    -windows xp pro
    -installed patch 1, then patch 2, then co8 3.04 beta, then livonya's 1.5 patch
    -used uber edited characters (str 50, wis 30, etc)
    -used money cheat {game.party[x].money_adj(xxxxx)} had 1M pp
    -used levelup cheat to be level 5 immediately (wanted to be at my last game's save point)
    -did not delete the trash files in map folder (i found out if it was still in the map folder the whole maps (city) are open and no fog)
    -i had the 1000xsomething video setting
    -also followed livonya's instructions to make her patch work

i suspect it might have made a conflict with the 3.04 beta patch, but will reinstall without the 3.04 patch to check. that's where the secret doors (currently) that don't show up, but most likely the other places also might not show up.

13. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Secret doors not showing up has nothing to do with any of the Co8 patches or Liv's mod. That problem has always existed, and I suspect it's hardcoded.

If the secret doors don't show up, and you really don't feel like reloading or restarting your game (especially if you're playing an Ironman game), you can always use the console command "game.fade_and_teleport(0,0,0,#,x,y)" to teleport you to the desired location, # being the map number and x & y the coordinates. Of course, in that case you need to know beforehand that a secret door should have shown up at a given spot, and you also have to know what map it leads to.

14. michaelcarlylle

michaelcarlylle Member

thanks for the info!

my next question would be:

is there a list for the maps for the console?

15. Kalshane

Thing is, this has happened in the past and I've been able to just start new games without encountering the problem. It's completely random. Except every game I've started since installing 1.5 has had the same problem. (This didn't happen with Liv's 1.0 Mod.) Which isn't to say this is the fault of the mod, since it has happened before, I've just never had 3 bugged games in a row before.

I haven't tried removing all the save files yet, I'll have to do it when I get home from work tonight.

Our Host!