New World Map Thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Sep 4, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Well not really a new world map, just the modified one we were discussing in the Hickory Branch thread.

First of all, having had a look at the PnP module map, I thought a couple small additions in line with that might spice it up a bit.

[​IMG]

So we now have Hommlet named on the map, a 'to Verbobonc' thing added (which coincidentally serves our own purposes quite well), and regional names for the Kron Hills and Gnarley Forest. I believe this actually makes the thing look slightly more like an actual map instead of someone's notepad. :)

[​IMG]

You'll see that the module map also has Nulb listed, which would make sense except that it doesn't become known in the CRPG until later, so it has to stay unnamed. Also, the High Road and Low Road are listed, but the CRPG doesn't depict the High Road anyway, so there's not much point in naming those. Lastly, the 'to Bobanwych' and 'evil lurks here' stuff doesn't seem to much matter for our purposes.

Nonetheless, I think this is a bit of an improvement. :)

Next, the locations.

These have ended up as Hommlet north, south, and west, Deklo Grove, Emridy Meadows, Hickory Branch (moved to old Ogre Cave spot), Imeryds Run, Nulb, ToEE, Burnt Farmhouse (moved to old Beat Down House spot), Ogre Cave (moved to old broken tower spot), Welkwood Bog (moved to old HB spot), Moathouse, and Moathouse Cave Exit - all with clickable map icons.

Verbobonc stayed pat with the clickable-only-on-the-right location, since it's off the map, and since we now at least have a 'to Verbobonc' sign anyway. No other reasonable locations to hijack for it I concluded, alas.

[​IMG]

Hope you like it. :) This mod should be ready soon.

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

As a professional map nit-picker, I'd like to offer these criticisms: IT LOOKS GREAT!

About the Welkwood Bog: If you don't like "Timmy was here just a minute ago", how about
    "How did Bob's leg get over there?", or maybe "That head on that post creeps me out, it's mine!"?

Now I'm all hungry...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Woohoooo! :clap: Thats fabulous Gaear!

4. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Cool :clap:

Hey, i've seen the .tgas for the writings in some folder...
    we could actually have a real writing, with the name of the location in there -Nulb comes to mind, for example- and even some of the those skulls and crossbones too, or the four elements square in the Temple...as if the charcter do some quick sketches for easy memory (and we could avoid language problems ;) )
    ...and is really easy to do, Gaear or Maggit could do it without trouble... even Ted could do it with a bit of effort :p :poke:

5. Gaear

Yeah, I had pondered that, but I think the original intent was to mimic real note-taking, hence the scratchy writing sounds when they appear. Or more specifically, it's at least sometimes supposed to be the NPC's writing that you learned the location from. "I'll mark your map for you."

Maybe we should take a poll on what people would prefer. Changing the writing to names would be fairly easy, provided the whole transparency thing could be made to work again. ;)

And thanks for the compliments, guys. :)

6. ShadowDeth

ShadowDeth Save Versus : Stupid

Amazing Gaear.

The modding crew here never ceases to amaze me.

7. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Yeah, i meant that, not clean letters...check the Imeryds run for example, which it has writings, and a bigger word at the end...something like that.
    Blahblahblah NULB (or the inverse)
    Maybe some locations shouldn't have names, but the crossbones or the like.

8. Gaear

Mod is up in the CMF thread. Ya-hoo. ;)

Special thanks: Allyx, longsuffering worldmap and paths builder guy. I feel your pain.

Our Host!