NEW STRATEGIC AGREEMENT WITH HASBRO

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by OgreBattle, Aug 19, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. OgreBattle

OgreBattle God of Rhye

This needs to be a STICKY!

• ​
    NEW STRATEGIC AGREEMENT WITH HASBRO CONCERNING
    THE DUNGEONS & DRAGONS FRANCHISE

• ​
    DIGITAL GAMING RIGHTS TO BE SOLD BACK TO HASBRO
    FOR 19.5 MILLION US DOLLARS

Lyon, France, July 18, 2007 – As part of the relaunch strategy announced by
    the Group on June 21 and the Group’s plan to focus its investment on major
    franchises with significant potential, Infogrames Entertainment SA (Euronext
    5257) today announced the signing of a new agreement with Hasbro
    concerning:
    - the extension until 2017 of the exploitation of the intellectual property rights to
    the Dungeons & Dragons universe, under an exclusive license covering all
    interactive formats, including online and wireless.
    The agreement covers all current and future products that are part of this
    universe, including NeverWinter Nights, Baldur’s Gate, etc.
    Two new games have already been announced for fiscal 2007-2008:
    NeverWinter Nights 2 Expansion Pack for PC and Dungeons & Dragons Tactics
    for PSP.​
    - ​
    the purchase by Hasbro of digital gaming rights (online and wireless) to nine
    franchises (Monopoly, Scrabble, Risk, Game of Life, Clue, Yahtzee, Battleship,
    Boggle and Simon), for 19.5 million dollars (*). This sale will have no significant
    impact on revenue for the current fiscal year.
    “This agreement represents a reaffirmation of our partnership with Hasbro. It is
    an important step in our business strategy that will allow us to keep and
    strengthen a franchise with significant potential, while giving the Group
    additional resources to invest in the relaunch of its publishing business.
    Dungeons & Dragons is one of the Group’s historic intellectual properties on
    which we plan to expand our business, relying on one of the largest and most
    active gamer communities in the world of video games,” commented Patrick
    Leleu, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.

(*) of which, 4 million dollars shall be paid to Atari Inc​
    ***​
    About Infogrames Entertainment and Atari​
    Infogrames Entertainment (IESA), the parent company of the Atari Group, is listed on
    the Paris Euronext stock exchange (ISIN code: FR-0000052573) and has two main
    subsidiaries: Atari Europe, a privately-held company, and Atari, Inc., a United States
    corporation listed on NASDAQ (ATAR).
    The Atari Group is a producer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment
    software for all market segments and in all existing game formats (Microsoft, Nintendo
    and Sony) and on CD-ROM for PC. Its games are sold in more than 60 countries.
    The Atari Group’s extensive catalogue of popular games is based on original franchises
    (Alone in the Dark, V-Rally, Test Drive, etc.) and international licenses (Dragon Ball Z,
    Dungeons & Dragons, etc.).
    For more information: ​
    http://www.atari.com

Cécile SORNAY – Corporate and Financial Communication Director​
    Tel: + 33 (4) 37 64 30 00 – Fax: + 33 (4) 37 64 30 35
    cecile.sornay@atari.com

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Re: [IMPORTANT] A campaign to get the official tools released

So we need to start bugging Hasbro?

Does this mean future sales of ToEE will be money in Hasbro's coffers? If so, they may see the advantage to keeping the game alive.

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Hasbro will most likely sell the license again to another publishing company as soon as they can, and hopefully for a profit.

4. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I wonder what WotC has to say about all this. They hold the copyright to all things D&D. Most everything is going to be console or online. I can deal with online but I can't play the console games. Really poor hand/eye,etc. Just as long as no one steps in and says quit modding,I don't much care. Sure would be nice to have the game engine files, tho.

5. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Hasbro owns them...or is it vice-versa?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/welcome

http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?page=sites

Pay attention, as they call the D&D stuff a "Hasbro" site. They are into everything gaming. I noticed this with my recent "Risk" acquisition, since Avalon Hill is also a Hasbro property. The 4th Edition is going to absolutely make the electronic version "interchangeable" with table top for players. You'll be able to fully integrate web based & tabletop based play. They've basically gotten back the rights to do electronic games from Atari, and are making a start with a clean slate. Virtual gaming is about to come into it's own. Instead of them selling tons & tons of books, it'll be cd's. And we'll never get the tools, as they plan to sell them to us in the form of the 4th edition.

Edit: One last thought: It's like they've been taking tips from us, isn't it? I'll wager there's more than one of them visiting these (ours and other) forums.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Um, isn't this just the same thing as the recent 'Atari extends D&D license rights' announcement from a while back? The second paragraph says Infogrames (Atari) gets D&D until 2017, and the third paragraph says Hasbro is purchasing digital gaming rigts to Yahtzee and all that other crap (not D&D). I think we may be confusing the two.

7. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Well, they've even renovated the D&D web site to go along with the whole 4th Edition hype. I see it as them trying to re-assert it as a game for the table top along with an on-line component for people who have limited access to a gaming group. It also gets them some distance from the other names associated with failures so their product can be judged on its own merits. In other words, to make it look like its in the hands of people who care about it rather than the folks who didn't.

:shrug:

8. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Look what I found! :D

How irritating. If they would have came to me, I would have come up with a way to pay more than 19.5 million for the d&d rights, just to throw a monkey wrench in the manufacture of 4th edition! Also, I would have changed my name to Necroticpus Gygax!

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I don't know if I trust a post that has no words, just quotes.

Is this one of those public service posts, or is the OP just to busy to say anything? Wish I was that important. ;)

Weird!

Our Host!