New Player Basic Questions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by licker, Jul 25, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. licker

licker Member

After a recommendation from a friend, and the fact that it's like $6 on GoG, I finally grabbed my copy of ToEE, and the latest (6.1) CoE mod.

First, many thanks to everyone who worked on that mod, from what I've read it really makes a difference, not that I played Vanilla at all, but none the less, thank you.

I have pursued the manual that I DLed from GoG (not sure if it's different from the one which installed with the game), but, to be totally honest, I have not read it in it's entirety, I've looked for some of the answers to my questions, but it possible I missed something. Also, is there a manual for CoE? I've looked at various stuff on these forums, but not in too much depth, yet.

Now, some (hopefully not annoying) questions.

Is there a way to speed up the walking speed while in town (or anywhere I suppose)? Or are there other tricks to quickly get to where you want to go if the world map doesn't get you 'close'?

Is there a shortcut to sell items other than dragging them?

Is there an 'autoheal' option such that anyone with CLW or such will cast it automatically while resting? I think the goldbox games had something like this.

Is there a way to 'autoloot' corpses? Take all is nice (can I hot key that?), but sometimes it's hard to click on the right bodies when they are all in a pile.

Party/Combat Questions

(I've done Welwood, and all of the Moathouse save the final battle, I know about the cloaks)

So I get that I want/need someone with lots of skill points to take the conversation skills and I have a Rogue/Bard to handle that. I have a Wizard, Cleric, Barbarian, and Fighter. Not really an issue with creation I think, though I need someone to be the back up healer when the cleric goes down.

When I chose the Search action, how does that work exactly? What is the area searched? Who searches? Or does it matter? I feel as though I'm missing stuff, even though I Search just about everywhere. I don't really want spoilers about 'here's where this thing is', but just a check that I'm not doing something wrong.

Combat mechanics... are a bit weird to me, because I never played with 3.5 rules, so I'm getting there, slowly. But, is there any point to gauntlets/helms/boots? It's just weight for no benefit?

Identify... I haven't even used detect magic, lol. So I'm guessing the trick is to DM on your loot, then ID anything magic? Or is there another trick there?

Creating scrolls/potions... How? Maybe I'm just too low level for it to matter, but the in game help isn't that helpful to me on this.

Adding spells from scrolls to the spellbook? Use item? Not sure what to do.

Anyway, probably more questions, but I'll leave off here. Thanks in advance for any help, and I know... RTFM NOOB!!! :yes:

2. florian1

florian1 Established Member

I think you're going to enjoy the game. You're lucky you never played the original, although it would give you a better appreciation for how much better it is now with all the work of the modders.

Is there a way to speed up the walking speed while in town (or anywhere I suppose)? Or are there other tricks to quickly get to where you want to go if the world map doesn't get you 'close'?

Open the console (shift ~). Type in "from Co8 import *", hit return, then type "speedup()" and hit return. Your party will move faster for non-combat movement. (There's lots of info about using the console on this site.) Also, there is a sign board outside of the Inn in Hommlet, which you can use for instant travel to many locations in the town. Nulb has one too, at the spot where you first arrive when traveling by the world map.

Is there an 'autoheal' option such that anyone with CLW or such will cast it automatically while resting? I think the goldbox games had something like this.

Is there a way to 'autoloot' corpses? Take all is nice (can I hot key that?), but sometimes it's hard to click on the right bodies when they are all in a pile.

No, no, and no., as far as I know.

When I chose the Search action, how does that work exactly? What is the area searched? Who searches? Or does it matter? I feel as though I'm missing stuff, even though I Search just about everywhere. I don't really want spoilers about 'here's where this thing is', but just a check that I'm not doing something wrong.

Selecting search makes the entire party search. If your search is high enough, you'll find anything in the area that is hidden and can be found. You can also select chests to search and (hopefully) find any traps that might be present.

Combat mechanics... are a bit weird to me, because I never played with 3.5 rules, so I'm getting there, slowly. But, is there any point to gauntlets/helms/boots? It's just weight for no benefit?

Boots and such (unless magical) don't help you in any way. They're more for realism. Do you really think your heroes should be wandering around barefoot?

Identify... I haven't even used detect magic, lol. So I'm guessing the trick is to DM on your loot, then ID anything magic? Or is there another trick there?

Keep in mind Identify costs 100 gp when you cast it. Shopkeepers can do it for you for the same price. Read magic identifies scrolls and potions for you. One casting for one potion or scroll. All magic items are pre-identified as magic already, so there's no need to use detect magic that I know of.

Creating scrolls/potions... How? Maybe I'm just too low level for it to matter, but the in game help isn't that helpful to me on this.

You need to take the appropriate Item Creation Feats. If you have any, they will show up on your radial menu.

Copy scroll also shows up on your wizard's radial menu.

Hope that helps. If I got anything wrong, I'm someone will correct me : )

3. licker

licker Member

It does help, thank you very much.

I will have to look into the console, and didn't know about the board, sounds excellent to me :)

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later as I uncover the stuff I don't know I don't know ;)

In playing this game I'm trying to approach it without getting hung up on the min/max attitude I suffer from in other games. So making decisions based on feeling/fluff rather than what's optimal. None the less, I do have my limits I guess, I don't want to do things which are 'silly' just because I don't realize there's an actual consequence to some choices.

Like boots and gloves/hats, I don't really care to make my guys look a certain way, it doesn't appeal to me, so I'm left somewhat min/maxing that aspect, or just ignoring it :)

4. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Unfortunately, no.

Well, you can just click the rest until healed button, as there are very few timed events in the game, so if you rest for 100 days, it really doesn't matter.

I thought there was a take all button at the top of the loot screen.

Party/Combat Questions

(I've done Welwood, and all of the Moathouse save the final battle, I know about the cloaks)

So I get that I want/need someone with lots of skill points to take the conversation skills and I have a Rogue/Bard to handle that. I have a Wizard, Cleric, Barbarian, and Fighter. Not really an issue with creation I think, though I need someone to be the back up healer when the cleric goes down.

The bard can cast healing spells, but once you get this far into the game, you should be overflowing with healing potions. Give everyone a few, and if the cleric goes down, have someone "Use" a potion on him.

Search is mostly a rogue specific skill, you "Search" on chests or doors and such to look for traps. You can also search an area in front of you for secret doors, if they do not become apparent to you (elves can sense them automatically).

No magical ones provide no benefit in this game, so I usually go barefoot for most of the game to save on weight.

You can only "Identify" magic items anyway, all the others show up as already identified. Please note it costs the same 100gp if you cast it or any shopkeeper casts it, so sometimes its better to wait until you get back to town to identify some stuff to save your spell slots.

As noted above, you need certain feats to create different magic items. I personally find making most potions is a waste of a feat. Scrolls can be good, but wands are much better. You may need all of your spellcasters to take Craft Wonderous Items, as well as Craft Arms & Armor, as some items can only be made by certain spellcasters, and only clerics with the Good Domain can craft Holy weapons, while only wizards can make shocking burst weapons. You can pass the same weapon around and have everyone add something to it, this makes a very powerful weapon, while at the same time spreading the XP hit around as well.

As noted, its on the Radial Menu, but make sure your spellcraft skill is as high as possible. You can also temporarily boost your skill by having someone cast the zero level spell Guidance on you, have your bard sing the Competence song to you, and have a cleric cast Prayer on you. If you fail to copy the spell into your spellbook, you have to wait until the next level to try again. I find prepping as above, then copy each scroll one at a time, and save in between can help.

5. licker

licker Member

Thanks again for the tips.

Lol...

You'd think I'd have lots of healing potions... if I weren't constantly gulping them :)

Oh, and bard instruments... I don't have one, but my bard seems able to play his songs anyway, or do they just make things more effective?

6. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

Yeap, just more effectiv. As far as I remember there is only one magic bardic instrument in the game enhancing your power in that regard.

7. florian1

florian1 Established Member

A scholar's kit also gives +2 to copy scroll checks. And a scale gives you +2 on appraise, so you get a little more gold for every sale you make, and, I think, save a little each time you buy.

8. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Regarding speeding up your characters' movement speed when walking around maps, Sitra Achara posted the following information in this forum previously:

If you make Senshock a vendor in Verbobonc, then he has an 80% chance of selling each of the following magical instruments:

Horn of Blasting
    Horn of Fog
    Drums of Panic
    Horn of Evil
    Pipe of Haunting
    Mandolin of Charming

See (the chapter on Secret Game Content in) the game guide thread for information on how to make Senshock a vendor in Verbobonc.

Magical gauntlets, helms and boots are useful, especially:

Gloves of Dexterity +6
    Helm of Reading Magic
    Helm of Teleportation
    Helm of ... (the one that absorbs the first 30 points of fire damage to its wearer)
    Boots of Speed

If you were able to auto-loot, then your characters would quickly become encumbered from all of the weight that they were carrying (unless you could somehow use an auto-loot function with the Extraplanar Chest).

Search is EXTREMELY important for finding some secret doors (especially the ones hiding the Orb of Golden Death and Prince Thrommel).

Cast Read Magic on unidentified scrolls and potions to identify them for free.

If you fail a spellcraft check when attempting to copy a spell scroll into your wizard's spell-book, you will lose the scroll.

You don't have to worry about forum members insulting you in this forum for being a noob. Everybody in this forum is very polite and very helpful to new players.

9. General Ghoul

You can find more than one, and you can make several. Zaxis carries one as well.

10. licker

licker Member

All good info, thanks.

I've scrapped my latest party due to failure to save periodically enough and getting drilled by some darn CTD when trying to cast read magic too quickly I think. Anyway, as I was semi-unhappy with some decisions I had made, and not that far along I decided to just restart with a party closer to what I think I want.

So, some tips on what I'm doing?

Paladin
    Barbarian
    Cleric
    Wizard (how do you specialize again?)
    Rogue/Monk

Idea is to only multiclass the Rogue/Monk right now.
    I gave the paladin exotic-->Bastard Sword
    The Barb got focus in Guisarme (spelling?)
    Cleric got improved turning and combat casting (is that a waste on a cleric?)
    Wizard got a couple spell penetration feats (general ones, can't recall the name)
    R/M started as a rogue with dodge

I assume that multi-weapon is wasted on a monk, and the plan for that guy is to go barehanded anyway at 2nd level (or maybe 3rd since you do get that master shortsword for a bit). Is there synergy in Rogue feats and Monk attacks? Or am I wet on that one?

As I started as a rogue (and a halfelf) do I need to keep the levels within 2 to avoid the xp penalty?

Is there a place to stash stuff you want to hang on to but not carry around? I found that weight zero magic chest thing, but have no idea how to open it or what to do with it :(

11. General Ghoul

This is an excellent party, well rounded and thought out, with good combinations of might and magic.

Paladin-excellent choice on the B-S. This should be your classic sword and board character, and there are plenty of great heavy armors for him to wear.

Barbarian-another great weapon choice, have on of the spellcasters get Emlarge Person and watch him dominate!

Cleric- Improved Turning and Combat Casting are perfect first feats, you will be surprised how many monsters target your spellcasters when spelling. You don't want that critical healing spell to be interrupted by an arrow. Concentration needs to be the one skill to focus on with the cleric.

Wizard-during the creation phase, after you choose the class, you have to manually go back up a tab to choose your specialization, otherwise its always a standard wizard. The extra spells, with the right choices, are helpful, but do realize you limit your crafting ability because you cannot cast some spells.

Rogue/monk-I would personally go rogue for 4-6 levels for the skill points and sneak attack damage. Once you go monk, you cannot add rogue levels again, or you forfeit the right to advance as a monk again. As a halfelf, you won't take any XP penalty with a 2-class character, his highest class is considered his preferred class. While unarmed combat looks cool in the game, your fists cannot keep up with better weapon choices you can take. Even a simple staff can be made Holy, Flaming, Shock Burst for big damage! I might suggest duel wielding Kamas, and enchant them when you can. A monk can flury with kamas, so you don't lose any attacks, and then you can add sneak attack damage to them.

Learn to use the radial menu to do full attacks, then spread those attacks out, no need to keep wailing on a dead opponent. Have the rogue/monk spread his attacks out, as he will have a movement bonus and should be able to tumble through the enemies, then have the paladin and barbarian finish off damaged opponents with their massive strikes.

The magic chest needs to be "Used" from the inventory slot on the radial menu. I always make a hotkey (X) for it. It can hold quite a bit. I also use a barrel in town, there is usually one near the smith or the leatherworkers house, to store stuff I don't want to sell, but also don't want to drop, like books.

12. Sanctuary

Sanctuary Constitutionalist!

Greetings, Licker...

I'm a long standing D&D player (started like in 1980) and I have been the DM(GM) for most of my time. That said...the most important thing to remember about D&D is that it's adaptable. In the table top gaming, what works for one group of players doesn't work for another group. In my opinion, that's what makes D&D one of the best games in the world. It morphs to the players & DM's needs. (Not to mention bringing players together in real life vrs infront of a computer screen.)

However, there are ways to min/max your gaming experience. Some idea's work better than other's and of course there are just some common sense practices to impliment like the feats Power Attack & Cleave, for example.

In regards to some of your questions for ToEE...the magical chest is an awesome item that once you master it's use...you will find it to be one of the best non-combat items you will possess. You first have to identify it and then you right click & bring up the character options. Rotate around it to your inventory section and it should say Extradimentional Chest. Select that one & the character will then summon the chest out into the open. You then right click the chest & it will open it. Inside, you'll find a note...drag it out & put in your inventory. Then click it and drag down to "Use item" to read it (not the drop item)...lol. If you drop it, you'll find it on the floor by using the tab key to highlight anything you can intereact with on your map. When you want to put items in it...just drag over & drop it like you do when you sell to a vendor. One thing to note is...once it's "full" it will tell you so. However, if you scroll down the items that you have in it...you will find that there are some open slots still available. If you manually drop them into those empty slots...you still can put items in the box. However, when you unsummon it (use the radial dial & click the chest again) and then resummon it back out...all those items that over filled it will spill out onto the floor. So make sure your at Brother smith when you do this...for example so you can quickly pick them up & sell them off. Just a helpful hint.

Now, about the characters...I have found in ToEE that taking a paladin to lv6 is all that is necessary and then just leveling them as a fighter for the feats is a good idea. (Remember that pally's & monks once they take a different class can never again level up their pally or monk levels.) Of course increasing Pally lv's past 6 = more healing & turning power so this may be something you would want...but for myself...getting them to Lv6 was good enough. (I sometimes only went to lv4...depends on their stats.) I also stopped leveling my Barbarians past lv2 or 5 and switched them to fighters as well. Just depends if you want them to have the improved uncanny dodge ability or not. I would also recommend your Barb being Chaotic Good (neutral) & take focus/specialization in Bastard sword. Later on there are 2 very nice bastard swords in the game that you get as you progress through the game that are Chaotic in alignment. The final sword is Fragarach of course...it never misses so you can Power Attack for all of your base to hit! Can we say BIG damage & two handed w/belts of giant strength...maybe? Ummmhhmmmm...! For clerics...I recommend single classing all the way...and perhaps making sure you have Good as one of your domains if you want to item create holy weapons. Wizards...best not to specialize...imho. Rogues can either be melee or ranged...if ranged...combine them with 2 levels of Ranger perhaps and have invisibility rings or improved inviso scrolls & high Use Magic Device skill (or have a wizard cast improved inviso on them during tough encounters)...this gives them sneak attacks if within 30'. Melee rogues can combine with monks but take the rogue to level 7 first before taking monk levels...(I dont' care for D&D monks overall and single classing them seems to be the best way if you do use them.) Of course, others will have other ideas & opinions but I hope some of these suggestions help you in your gaming.

Good luck & GOD Bless!

13. licker

licker Member

Very cool info guys, some of that I was not aware of.

I have the feeling I'm going to be making many 'mistakes' with my party development, but hey, more reason to play again with another mix I suppose :)

14. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well good luck and have at it. I myself have started and tried out all kinds of new groups, classes, races, and twists. In fact it is one of the many reasons I love this game is that you can get so much out of this ol game. Have fun and let us know how things go for you.

15. licker

licker Member

Well, just got to lvl3 after doing some Hommlet stuff, and finishing up the Welkwood. Nothing interesting really to note though yet :)

I guess I'm a tad confused on some of the 'FedEx' quests, but I can't be bothered to look at any walkthroughs, so they can just sit there :p

Masterworked xbows and bows give +1 to hit and damage like the other weapons?

Having some seemingly random crashes (always when in inventory window), so I'm getting better at saving frequently.

Also when I hit escape to bring up the save/load menu it is sloooooow, is that normal or is there something else I should be aware of?

Our Host!