New monsters from .jpg images?

Discussion in 'Models, Animations, and Particle Effects' started by ioannis76, Nov 17, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. ioannis76

ioannis76 Established Member

Assuming we have Autodesk 3d studio max 9, and a digital camera, as well as fantasy miniatures. Is it possible to take a picture of a miniature from various angles, the use the photo and 3ds max to make a 3d "monster", to which we can then add animations?

I would be grateful for any advice, since 3ds max has a huge amount of options.

I know how to add a "background image" but from what I've seen so far, you are supposed to use the image as a "background model" on which you place the 3d image which you have to build basically from scratch.

I was wondering if it is possible to "remove" parts of the 2d image piece by piece, and add them to the variety of body parts which 3dsmax gives us.
    Eg. Take the head of a minotaur, and add it to the variety of heads that 3dsmax gives us for "biped".

Thank you in advance for any information.

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

thats your problem atm, the current plugin we have doesn't support animations

3. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Is it possible to add new meshes supporting old anims?
    Let's say a horse with animations of a wolf, or something
    like that.

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

its a fantasy I have from time to time, but I pretty sure it's a no go atm.

5. ioannis76

OK, let's forget about the animations. I think I should be able to figure them out. My biggest concern is: Is it possible to take a 2D photograph and "convert" it to 3D, creating, even a "still" 3D image?

6. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Well, technically you'd have to model the mesh of
    a character/monster and use those images as
    textures.

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

ToEE uses 3d models not 2d animated gifs like the games of yore. and turning a 2d image into 3d model is a lot of work.

8. ioannis76

I came across this forum

http://www.max-realms.com

I haven't cheacked it out thoroughly yet, I just thought I'd let you know, since it might be interesting.

9. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

Like you said, most '3d creature from 2d picture' tutorials consist of using the shot as a 2d backdrop on which you essentially trace geometry.

Here is an example of an easy to follow maya tutorial (link says 3dsmax, but its most definitely not a max tutorial) that shows you how to do that.

http://www.prodesignhost.com/tutori...ials/3D_Graphics_Model_Polygonal_Elephant.php

The mapping method used is a simple planar map; which isnt exactly ideal, but the modelling method is actually a very sound way to approach things, its actually very effective; and you'd be surprised at how quickly you can create a model that at least somewhat resembles what you want it to :D

What im not precisely sure about your query is that are you wanting to create 3d geometry from a 2d image? or merely use the 2d image as a basis for textures to place onto ready made geometry that has been shipped with 3dsmax? or both? :)

To automate 3d geometry from a real-life object; you would probably need a 3d scanner, as far as im aware. So the 'from scratch' method may be all that is available.

As far as using a 2d photo for textures is concerned, this is definitely possible. The elephant tutorial above illustrates this, in a rather crude manner, but the basis of the concept is there.

Are you familiar with the idea of UV maps, as well as the automated methods of mapping?

simple explanation of a UV map using blender for anyone who isn't familiar:

http://biorust.com/index.php?page=tutorial_detail&tutid=85

So, what precisely are you after? :)

10. ioannis76

@vampiricpuppy
    thanks for your reply. I wasn't really sure when I posted, but a few research hours later I had reached the conclusion that a "from scratch" modelling would require a 3d scanner. What I had in mind was basically a sort of 3d scanning by means of multiple 2d pictures. I know it's crazy, but a newbie like myself :p thinks of these things.
    I am currently trying to work with "normal" modelling, by means of the tutorials (or turtorials, since it takes me so long to model anything) of 3ds max named modelling a low-poly character.
    I 'll just take my time trying to wade through that. So far I have discovered a couple of things, including the use of the key "ms smooth" which helps a lot in making a believable 3d image, but raises the number of polygons rather dramatically.
    Thank you for your answer, though.

11. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

ahhhh subdivisions :p

yeah... its always tempting to press that meshsmooth button and instantly quadruple the size of your model :doh:

12. ioannis76

I nkow, I was trying to create the snout of the minotaur. The proble is, that when I pressed once, I liked the result so much that I pressed it again and again, until I got a wonderful CTD and the computer informed me that it was out of memory. :smoke:

Our Host!