New Content Poll - Important

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ranth, Oct 2, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Hello all,

The great work on 5.9 has inspired me to possibly work on an addition to ToEE. The mod would have two purposes:

1. Create a coherent storyline for evil parties that would run throughout the game. Something that I feel is lacking.
    2. Introduce War of the Golden Skull content into the game with the following modifications:
    • The golden skull plotline would be replaced
    • You cannot build the castle in Hommlet since it is in Verb

If you are unaware of the War of the Golden Skull mod for 5.5.0, you can view a summary here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAAHcTtBDeY

In discussions with the powers at be here, my ideas for this new mod were met with enthusiasm. However, we have concerns about upsetting any purists that use NC mods by adding content to Hommlet or the early game (even in a NC version). Therefore, could you please take a moment to reply to the following questions with your points of view?

1. When I download a new mod, I tend to download the NC version (Disagree, Agree)
    2. I would consider myself a ToEE purist (Disagree, Neutral, Agree)
    3. How often do you play an evil aligned group (Never, Occasionally, Often)
    4. I would be o.k. with a new evil faction being brought into Hommlet early game in the NC version for evil aligned parties to interact with. Note: Good/Neutral aligned parties would only see 1 new NPC in the early game, only once, and would have no major interaction with them in the early game. (Disagree, Neutral, Agree)
    5. Regarding the last question: I would be happier if Good/Neutral parties did not see a new NPC in Hommlet early game at all. (Do not care, Agree)
    6. I am o.k. with some of early Hommlet changing for evil aligned parties in the early game. Note: No existing content would be removed. (Disagree, Neutral, Agree)
    7. I would like to see a plot line for evil parties. (Disagree, Neutral, Agree)
    8. I would like to see War of the Golden Skull content added into a NC mod in the future. Note: This heavily changes the end game Hommlet. You become lords/warlords and run the town. (Disagree, Neutral, Agree)

Please respond and be honest. I have a background in stats so I may analyze the answers to see if we would upset many people. We are fearful of changing too much on vanilla maps even a NC mod. I wont be offended if you hate the concept.

Please leave comments, posts, and ideas. I know the description above is very vague, but I dont want to give away the details to everyone. If any of the modders want my design outline and want to discuss the details, PM me your email to me and I will send it along.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  2. Oakheart

Oakheart Member

Agree
    Neutral
    Never... but I would if the story was better.
    Agree
    So not care
    agree
    Agree
    Agree

3. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

4. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Always download NC, never Beta.

Like, no man.

Never play evil. I fantasize about doing evil too often as it is.

There's more evil in the world than good, so this makes perfect sense.

I have no preference except to say that I think it would be cool to see new people in Hommlet. There's not enough people in Hommlet now and it makes me think that everyone belongs to the same family tree.

Release the fiend with you, you have my blessing. If you need ideas, my door is always open.

I'd very much like to see it, but it can't be watered down, politically correct evil. It has to be something that would make a demonic lawyer from the abyss cringe. It has to be really shocking evil, something that is going to embed itself into the subconscious and cause nightmares that require a full psychological evaluation and a series of therapy visits over a course of a long time. Gaear was on the right track with the slavers but more could be done. :evilgrin:

For sure. A day without WoGS is like a day without sunshine.

5. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Agree

Disagree

More than half the time

Agree

No. In fact I'd even prefer that other-aligned parties had interaction options too, probably negative. I do realize that it's not really an option though.

Gosh if you manage to bring some change to Hommlet and Moathouse for evil parties it'd probably be the happiest day of my gaming life.

Very Yes. I mean agree.

Frankly, I don't really see how this one fits in with the "evil plot". I would definitely like to see the Golden Skull mod *finished*, but as to which way I think it'd fit best there could be a long discussion. I haven't yet had a chance to play through the new high-level NC additions, so I'm not sure how that'd fit in with that either.

In general though, if you pull this of it'd be great. It never really made any sense in TOEE for evil parties to be forced to act goodie-good until the Temple in order to actually progress in the game. As for "purists", don't we have a bugfix-only version now? I've always thought that mods in general, and especially those that add content, are not for purists.

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Agree whole heartily

Disagree, love TOEE but other games draw my attention. ;)

Occasionally, would try it more often if it was more believable.

Disagree, I would want my goody two shoes to have words with them, if possible.

Disagree, I'd rather see him, even if he just gives my good character the cold shoulder.

Agree whole heartily

Agree

BRING IT ON! :Being_a_s

7. zebrainz

zebrainz Yumm

• When I download a new mod, I tend to download the NC version (Disagree, Agree)
    • I would consider myself a ToEE purist (Disagree, Neutral, Agree)
    • How often do you play an evil aligned group (Never, Occasionally, Often)
    • I would be o.k. with a new evil faction being brought into Hommlet early game in the NC version for evil aligned parties to interact with. Note: Good/Neutral aligned parties would only see 1 new NPC in the early game, only once, and would have no major interaction with them in the early game. (Disagree, Neutral, Agree)
    • Regarding the last question: I would be happier if Good/Neutral parties did not see a new NPC in Hommlet early game at all. (Do not care, Agree)
    • I am o.k. with some of early Hommlet changing for evil aligned parties in the early game. Note: No existing content would be removed. (Disagree, Neutral, Agree)
    • I would like to see a plot line for evil parties. (Disagree, Neutral, Agree)
    • I would like to see War of the Golden Skull content added into a NC mod in the future. Note: This heavily changes the end game Hommlet. You become lords/warlords and run the town. (Disagree, Neutral, Agree)
    I did notice that all the pieces seem be in place to run WotGS in Verbonc.

• Pelor Cleric = Terjon
      Reformed Senshock = Burne (Farinth also has the start of an escape routine - alternate)
      Ruined Temple Priests in denial = Hextor Preists
      Large areas of open land that could be dubbed "Entrance to Sherwood Forrest"
      One of the drow tunnels could collapse and lead to a newly discovered source for granite building blocks.

Could WotGS be changed to take over Verbonc instead of Hommlet, or at least be the enforcement arm of the new regime after Wilfrick is killed? Just and idea, I'm not really qualified to say if it's a good one from a modding or game perspective standpoint.

Will WotGS have a counterpoint quest for good aligned parties in the endgame? I'll do anything to access new content, no matter what the alignment. Personally and for instance, I detest LG parties (too easy for one thing, and I have authority figure issues while role playing for anotther), but I would play one as honestly as I could in a hearbeat for something new. Not and issue for me. New content is king in my book. I like new and alignment only content in all directions. Evil is seriously lacking in this area.

I originally played more chaotic parties back in the early days, becuase of my Fragratch addiction. Once I divorced myself from that crutch (serious issues with AoO, Fragratch and the Balor from vanilla through a lot of the earlier mods), the game really opened up for me. It made me learn how to play the game properly using the tools given to each alignment. There are a lot of unused tools in the game for evil to fight good.

As sirchet said, :evilgrin: BRING IT!

8. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

1. Agree
    2. Disagree
    3. Occasionally (I would probably play an evil party alignment approximately half of the time)
    4. Agree
    5. Do not care
    6. Agree
    7. Agree
    8. Agree

I couldn't care less how many changes/additions are made to this computer game that differ from the vanilla version of this computer game or even from the original supermodule (by Gary Gygax & some other guy) that this computer game is based on.

Hommlet is generally a "good" town while Nulb is generally a "bad" town. It would be logical for good parties to begin the game in Hommlet, and for evil parties to begin the game in Nulb.

I would MUCH prefer it if ALL maps were revealed on the world map at the start of the game! That way, an evil party could kill any NPC that it wanted to and yet still be able to experience all of the content in the game (which is only fair). If you insist on having prerequisites before being able to travel to certain (or new) maps, then I would MUCH prefer it if prerequisites were only dependent on using an item (which an evil party could get by looting any characters that the evil party kills).

I would be EXTREMELY grateful for any and all new content/additions/modifications made for this superb computer game!

[edit]

There are currently very few bad consequences in this game for parties performing actions that are uncharacteristic of their party alignment. I would very much like to see stiff consequences for parties who play out of character (especially when any paladins are present in the party)! I would really like it if town vendors heard of your party's fame/infamy and refused to trade with you as a consequence (if the vendor has a different alignment than your party's alignment/reputation). Maybe the party could be hunted by the law or bounty hunters if the party transgresses party alignment.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  9. melbrinion

melbrinion Member

1. When I download a new mod, I tend to download the NC version (Disagree, Agree)
    AGREE - I've only downloaded the NC versions.

2. I would consider myself a ToEE purist (Disagree, Neutral, Agree)
    NEUTRAL - Definitely not a purist, but appreciate the efforts taken to keep the flavor of the module. That said, see my answer to 1...

3. How often do you play an evil aligned group (Never, Occasionally, Often)
    OCCASIONALLY - I'd like to explore all options and gameplay styles. I'm always disappointed that games don't usually have much of a "real" evil-play option

4. I would be o.k. with a new evil faction being brought into Hommlet early game in the NC version for evil aligned parties to interact with. Note: Good/Neutral aligned parties would only see 1 new NPC in the early game, only once, and would have no major interaction with them in the early game. (Disagree, Neutral, Agree)
    TOTALLY AGREE

5. Regarding the last question: I would be happier if Good/Neutral parties did not see a new NPC in Hommlet early game at all. (Do not care, Agree)
    DISAGREE (I know, not an option). Role playing a good party, I'd be happy to smite the evil dude. Let me at him!

6. I am o.k. with some of early Hommlet changing for evil aligned parties in the early game. Note: No existing content would be removed. (Disagree, Neutral, Agree)
    AGREE

7. I would like to see a plot line for evil parties. (Disagree, Neutral, Agree)
    AGREE BIG-TIME [insert evil laugh here]

8. I would like to see War of the Golden Skull content added into a NC mod in the future. Note: This heavily changes the end game Hommlet. You become lords/warlords and run the town. (Disagree, Neutral, Agree)
    AGREE (just watched the video - looks very well thought-out and fun, would like to play it now!)

Only thing I'd like to add is "THANK YOU" to you and the other modders. Would love to try my hand at a mod sometime, but till then, I'll just keep enjoying what you've all put together. This game would not be playable (literally) without you.

10. Ank

Ank Established Member

1)Agree
    2)Disagree
    3)Occasionally
    4)Agree (what about chaotic alignments ?? for ex. a chaotic neutral should just as likely be able 'to get on the boat' just for the fun of it; maybe eaven a chaotic good char may see it as an oportunity to overthrow a curently unfit/unjust sistem, and then quickly turncoat at the right moment so he can rule/suport someone who seems worthy to rule (say Terjeon he strikes me as a kind of 'know it all, seen it all, know what needs to be done, benevolent, dictator' material (after all he's ST Cuthberth disciple and natuarly his words are 'The Law') ;
    afterall Hommlet may seem like a cash cow to the large cities (and in return it gets nothing but a formal agreement to recieive troop support in cases of emergency (ex :welkwood bog+hickory branch incidents in wich support is promissed but never actualy arrive as no one rly gives a damn) and as such some one could start to think about declaring' Hommlet as an independent village under his own benevolent'/righteos' guidance'
    5)Do not care
    6)Agree
    7)Agree
    8)Agree

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  11. sps49

sps49 Wide-Eyed Tourist Supporter

1) When I download a new mod, I tend to download the NC version
    Agree

2) I would consider myself a ToEE purist
    Agree

3) How often do you play an evil aligned group
    Occasionally- might do more if a better storyline was extant

4) I would be o.k. with a new evil faction being brought into Hommlet early game in the NC version for evil aligned parties to interact with. Note: Good/Neutral aligned parties would only see 1 new NPC in the early game, only once, and would have no major interaction with them in the early game.
    Agree- or improve/ expand existing ones (Zert, Kobort/ Monk)

5) Regarding the last question: I would be happier if Good/Neutral parties did not see a new NPC in Hommlet early game at all.
    Um, Disagree?

6) I am o.k. with some of early Hommlet changing for evil aligned parties in the early game. Note: No existing content would be removed.
    Neutral; specifics?

7) I would like to see a plot line for evil parties.
    Agree (see 3)

8) I would like to see War of the Golden Skull content added into a NC mod in the future. Note: This heavily changes the end game Hommlet. You become lords/warlords and run the town.
    Neutral

12. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

1. Agree

2. Neutral

3. Occasionally

4. Agree

5. Do not care

6. Agree

7. Agree

8. Agree

13. mmonagle

mmonagle Established Member

I feel that this concept would be a great addition to the game. I think it would take quite a bit of work however. I would be more than willing to test it out with runs and even downloading files or applying a line or more of code to correct any issues that might crop up.

I would not mind seeing Hommlet change with an evil party (or a good one for that matter). I feel that it is sad that Hommlet is frozen in time due to concerns that there is a large number of purists out there who would have kittens about it. I have never played a D&D campaign where everything was frozen the way it was. Party actions have consequences - for good or ill. Even the end game screen pages reflect this = a good party's campaign brings about: the growth of Hommlet, Nulb withers away, the temple falls into shambles (usually) - among other things. Heck even all the goods that a party brings back and sells to merchants would have an impact as these merchants would find themselves with a growing inventory to make a profit with.

As far as the war of the golden skull goes, I have to confess that while I have seen the video that shows it, I have not used it myself. Knowing that all the leaders of Hommlet die as a result from it is something that I just cannot bring myself to do. T1 is one of the oldest modules in my D&D boxes. Plus with all the times that I have played this game on the computer, I kind of feel some comradery with them all. I just can't see them all die. I believe that the castle was moved to VB due to purist reasons. If this is so, could all the deaths of the town leaders be changed? They could still use the help.

Speaking of the castle, one of the things I really liked when I saw the WoGS video, was that it meant that the castle in Hommlet was finally finished. Going back to my comment about things being frozen but it was great to see things finally move forward. The Greyhawk line itself felt frozen and stale until the Greyhawk wars came around. Maybe the changes that it brought about killed the line off but I always felt that it was really due to politics at TSR.

Anyway, I would like to encourage this attempt and as I said, I'm willing to help by testing or whatever may be needed.

Our Host!