New Add-on Pack: Bucket o' Spells 1.1

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Shiningted, Apr 18, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Requirements: The Bucket o’ Spells 1.0 pack is designed as an add-on to the Co8 5.5.0 Beta mod-pack.

The Bucket o’ Spells pack includes the previously released Playful NPCs 1.4 add-on, and can be installed over the top or separately (either way, by activating the Bucket o’ Spells add-on, you will be deactivating any other add-ons you have, and you will be gaining all the benefits of Playful NPCs 1.4).

Contents: The Bucket o’ Spells 1.0 pack contains nine new non-core (but Official D&D) spells, detailed below.

• New Wizard Spells!
    • New Sorcerer Spells!
    • New Bard Spells!
    • New Cleric Spells!
    • New Druid Spells!
    • New Paladin Spells!
    • Nothing for the Ranger - nothing!
    Only those areas in which the spell has been implemented are detailed here: so, for instance, the +1 bonus that a Revenated character has against the person who killed him (which can't be implemented) is not mentioned.

There is also a minor bug-fix: the Far Shot feat has been applied to Longbows (left out by mistake).

Note: These are non-core spells so they will NOT be appearing in 5.5.0 or future modpacks, where-in we try to maintain core integrity, but they should be available quite painlessly as additional content.

Installation: Unzip the .rar file to your Atari / Temple of Elemental Evil folder (or other root folder if named differently). Overwrite as necessary. This will add a file to your Addons / Circle of Eight Modpack 5.5.0 Beta folder and a file to your Docs folder. Then run TFE-X and select Add-ons, then install the bucket_o_spells_1.0 add-on.

Upgraded! The Bucket o' Spells pack has been upgraded to 1.1: this involves the adding of the file controling the sounds, which I forgot. 1.1 is available below, as is the missing file that can be individually added to 'ugrade' 1.0 to 1.1 as it were (to save people reactivating the add-on).

Summoning Surge
    Transmutation
    Level: Drd 3, Sor/Wiz 3
    Components: V, S, DF
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 fr./2 levels)
    Area: Your summoned creatures within a spherical emanation with a radius equal to the range, centered on you
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: No
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
    Each of your summoned creatures within the area receives a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength. This does not stack with the bonus from Augment Summoning.
    (Based on 'Adrenaline Surge' from Masters of the Wild: changes discussed HERE).

Avasculate
    (Libris Mortis)
    Necromancy [Death, Evil]
    Level: Sor/Wiz 7
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Effect: Ray
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    You shoot a ray of necromantic energy from your outstretched hand, causing any living creature struck by the ray to violently purge blood or other vital fluids through its skin. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to affect the subject. If successful, the subject is reduced to half of its current hit points (rounded down) and stunned for 1 round. On a successful Fortitude saving throw, the subject is not stunned.

Mandragora (Masters of the Wild)
    Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
    Level: Drd 6
    Components: V, S, M (100 GP)
    Range: 15 ft.
    Effect: All creatures in a 15-ft. radius
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    With this spell, you can trigger the insightful and baleful magic of a mandrake root. When you pull it from its dark container, you and all other creatures within 15 feet must make a Will save against its scream. Those who succeed gain a true seeing effect; those who fail behave as though affected by confusion. Both effects last until the spell ends.
    Material Component: A mandrake root worth at least 100 gp in a secure container with the same value.

Power Sight (Masters of the Wild)
    Divination
    Level:. Drd 1
    Target or Area: One creature
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No
    You determine the number of Hit Dice (including those from class levels) a creature currently has. if the creature has both monster Hit Dice and class levels, power sight reveals only the total. You cannot determine what class levels a creature has, and negative levels do not count against its HD. For example, both a 10-HD creature and a 10th-level character with 4 negative levels appear as 10-HD creatures.

Revenance (Complete Divine)
    Conjuration (Healing)
    Level: Brd 6, Clr 4, Pal 4
    Components: V, S, DF
    Range: Touch
    Target: Dead ally touched
    Duration: See text
    Saving Throw: None; see text
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
    You touch a recently slain ally and temporarily restore her to life so she may continue to fight. She functions as if a raise dead spell had been cast upon her, except that she does not lose a level and has half of her full normal hit points. She is alive (not undead) for the duration of the spell and can be healed normally, but dies as soon as the combat ends. While the subject is under this spell, she is not affected by resurrection or raise dead.

Baleful Transposition (Spell Compendium)
    Conjuration (Teleportation)
    Level: Sor/Wiz 2, Travel 2
    Components: V
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Targets: Two creatures of up to Large size
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Two target creatures, only one of whom may be hostile, and of which you can be one, instantly swap positions. A solid object such as the ground, a bridge, or a rope must connect the creatures. Both subjects must be within range. Objects carried by the creatures (up to the creatures’ maximum loads) go with them, but other creatures do not, even if they are carried. The movement is instantaneous and does not provoke attacks of opportunity. If a hostile creature succeeds on its Will save, the spell is negated.

Both this spell and the following were added to the Travel domain, since they are clear variants on other Travel Domain spells such as Dimension Door and Teleport.

Benign Transposition (Spell Compendium)
    Conjuration (Teleportation)
    Level: Sor/Wiz 1, Travel 1
    Components: V
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Targets: Two willing creatures of up
    to Large size
    Spell Resistance: No
    Two target creatures, who must be allies and of which you can be one, instantly swap positions. Both subjects must be within range. Objects carried by the creatures (up to the creatures’ maximum loads) go with them, but other creatures do not, even if they are carried. The movement is instantaneous and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Ray of Entropy (Spell Compendium)
    Necromancy
    Level: Sor/Wiz 6
    Duration: 1 minute/level
    When you cast this spell, you unleash a ray of negative energy that consumes the life energy of the subject. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack with the ray to strike a target. If your attack is successful against a living creature, the ray makes the subject weaker, slower, and less healthy. The subject takes a –4 penalty to Strength, Constitution, and Dexterity for the duration of the spell.

Ray of Stupidity (Spell Compendium)
    Enchantment (Compulsion)
    [Mind-Affecting]
    Level: Sor/Wiz 2
    Components: V, S, M
    This ray clouds the mind of your enemy, damaging its intellect. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack with the ray to strike a target. A subject struck by the ray takes 1d4+1 points of Intelligence damage.
    Material Component: A miniature cone-shaped hat. (Irrelevant in ToEE).

Feel free to comment or discuss (or post bugs). And could the first person to download/install/activate/use it please let me know here that it works.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

Re: New Add-on Pack: Bucket o' Spells 1.0

I tried it.

The add-on file seems like it went the way you describe.

However, the docs file is in a folder by itself (not quite by itself, with the KotB docs folder as well) and is not part of the docs_Co8 5.5.0 folder.

Should it be in the docs_Co8 5.5.0 folder?

I'm not currently running the game, so can't check that way.

3. Shiningted

Ummm, quite possibly, yes. Didn't realise it was different :scratchhe but the spells should still work ;) Thanks for the feedback :)

4. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Yeah! Thanks Ted

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Since the arrival of TFE-X, the ToEE series of modules has been set up that way (each with its own docs folder) to avoid confusion and so you don't have to sift through a bunch of different files in one folder to find the one you're looking for. (e.g., "I was reading the KotB readme and it says there's a provisioner, but I can't find him in Hommlet!") Plus, it didn't seem right not to isolate 'Orion's Ultimate Fixes,' ha.

6. Shiningted

Version 1.1 is out!

I forgot to include the file that controls the sounds, so there is a new add-on (1.1) available in the first post: or, if you have already installed the 1.0 version and don't want to have to add a new add-on with the slow activation that entails, you can download the other file now available above and, as it suggests, unzip it to the data folder: that will replace the snd_spells.mes file in the data/sounds folder.

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

How about include the fix for the Bourne quest? Or will that cause problems? ;)

8. Shiningted

:blink: I can assure you, Jason Bourne does not appear in any Co8 mod...

9. GuardianAngel82

Now he's coming for you...:nervous:

Burne and the foreman whose dialog was broken, preventing the completion of the quest. :doh:

10. Groo the Ambler

Groo the Ambler Loot the Rot Grubs

Is there a change to Fruella's dlg in Playful NPCs? When you talk to her after taking her into the party the dialogue options are blank, like Jayfie's. I didn't notice if this was the case in 5.5.0 before the add-on.

11. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I posted a zip of the original Jayfie dlg file a couple of times to replace the broken one. Seems no one knows or cares to use it. At least you can complete the quest like before.

Attached Files:

12. GuardianAngel82

I was thinking there were other broken dialogs that weren't broken in 5.0.6. Maybe the correct (previously working) files could be in the add-on. I'm not talking about work yet to be done. I'm sure the old files could be looted from on old 5.0.6, but I'm not sure what to do with them. Also, I don't want to mess up the new stuff.

13. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

If a file is broken there are 2 options. Fix the file or replace it. All the games original files are in ToEE1-4.dat and can be extracted and moved. It's up to the writer to fix a file they wrote or modified. Something like the Jayfie file is a temorary fix so the other quests can be completed. Replacing a broken file with a game original certainly wont hurt anything. Just an option.

14. GuardianAngel82

I was thinking bringing in the entire 5.0.6 dlg file would overwrite something new. Jayfie isn't all that needs fixing.

15. Shiningted

Well, I changed her script so she says something when being Raised, but I didn't change her actual .dlg file: but I'll check it Groo.

And I haven't fiddled with Jayfie's file since I don't know what is meant to be done with it. But since no-one has announced "putting the original Jayfie file in will break 6 other things!!!" I'd say that gives WizGeorge's efforts what we used to call in the service, "tacit consent". :)

Our Host!