Need some installation help

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Seminole Steve, Jul 21, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Seminole Steve

Seminole Steve Member

I am new here, found your site when looking for some resources on ToEE. I am in dire need of some help.

First of all, I am running Windows XP on an older, 32-bit Dell (circa 2007). I bought ToEE years ago but never got around to trying it until recently. Loaded and ran fine, but I noticed the "looting bug" fairly quickly. That was when I started looking around and found your site.

OK, so first I downloaded the 2 Atari patches from your site (since their site no longer works), and (as far as I know) successfully added them to the game. That did not fix the looting issue, so back I came to you guys. I downloaded the most recent mod pack with new content, also downloaded Desura and ToEE Front-End X and got them working.

This was all 2 nights ago. I got as far as loading the game with the new mod Pack and saw that it came up fine. I closed down the machine. Next day, I tried to load it again so I could start a new game (because apparently the old one saved under the original game will no longer work) and it crashed before even getting to the opening screen. I tried again and again. Then I tried off the CD, and it crashed. So now I am lost.

As far as I know, I did everything that I was supposed to when loading the mod pack and all - I followed the instructions given on this site to a T. I disabled the intro, waited for each step to be completely completed before moving on, etc. But now I can't get anything to work. I need someone to help me out, 'cause I'm about to give up on this game completely. Seems ridiculous that a game could be released with so many bugs in it that it is basically unplayable, even using a computer and system that approximately matches what would have been available when it was first released. I appreciate all the work yall have done here at Co8 - if it wasn't for you, no one would play this game.

Anyway, I am in desperate need of instruction, so I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in Advance!

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Welcome to the forum SS.

Just so I'm clear on how you're starting and what's happening ... You double click the Black square icon on your desktop and it opens the Co8 Front End Loader, then you click on the version you want to run, (7.8.0NC I hope) and then click play, the game loads but you don't get beyond the menu that says Start New Game | Load New Game | and such?

Please tell us exactly how far you get in the starting process.

Also, the version of the game you're trying to start, does the front end have the word "active" in the column directly to the right of the version name?

EDIT: When you say you loaded it and it ran fine a few days ago, at that time did the game start, (after building your party) at the shop map or did it start in the scenario for your chosen alignment?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  3. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Try selecting Enable Intro to see if that fixes the problem. If not, then I suspect that it is your anti-virus software that is causing the problem (presuming that you have anti-virus software).

See post #2 and post #4 in the following link:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9956

If none of the above helps, then you will need to provide more information on which anti-virus software you are using and exactly what happens at exactly what stage of trying to run the game, and hopefully Gaear will be able to help fix your problem.

4. Seminole Steve

Seminole Steve Member

Thanks guys - I knew I left out some details.

OK, first of all, I am running what I thought was the newest version (downloaded off the link on the front page), but I noticed that on the Front End ToEE it calls it Circle of Eight Modpack 7.5.0 NC. First time I saw that I deleted it and started over, downloading the game that came up under the "newest version" link on the front page and the same thing came up, so I assumed that maybe the new version came up with that designation on the Front End thingy. Maybe not. That was another question I had.

OK, the game is choking before it ever gets to the screen with "Load Game", "Start New Game", etc. The first night, when I loaded the program, it reached that screen. Truthfully, I did not go farther than that - figured if it made it that far, I was satisfied. Plus it was late and I was ready to bag it for the night. So that may be a red herring. But I can't get the game to go even that far any more.

I neglected to mention, I did check the AV software - which is Norton. Far as I could tell, the exe file was NOT quarantined.

Have to say, I have followed all the recommendations I have found on this site and came up empty. I am stumped.....

5. Seminole Steve

Seminole Steve Member

BTW - I did try enabling the intro - no dice. It never even makes it to the Intro anymore.

6. dragoking99

dragoking99 Member

hey i have to run my game as administrator would that have to do with anything?

7. dragoking99

dragoking99 Member

bec if i dont run it as admin it does the same thing as SS

8. sirchet

This sounds very much like an anti-virus software stopping it.

In this thread http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7737 read the section on troubleshooting and hopefully one of the tried and true solutions will help you.

After you try the suggestions listed above check the exe for TOEE and tell us the size of the file.

9. Seminole Steve

Seminole Steve Member

OK, I got the exe file placed as an exception in Norton. Still does not work. I have no option on this computer to disable or replace the AV software - this is our home computer that also serves as my wife's work computer, and she will not agree to replace Norton with anything else (understandably).

The exe file is currently 158 KB

As far as I can tell, I AM running these programs as an Administrator, since there is only one user and that is who is logged in. Also, this is XP and I am not sure that Administrator status is that big a deal on this OS.

If no one else has any ideas, I will throw in the towel on this computer and see if I can get it working on my laptop, which is also a Dell, with Win 7, and one that I can change the AV software to something else (as long as it is free- we have a 3-year multiple license with Norton). That would be considered the true last resort. Then the program hits the dumpster.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

10. Seminole Steve

Seminole Steve Member

Oh, BTW - does the modpack and NC stuff still require the CD for operation? I only ask because that one night when I first installed it and the start screen came up after the intro, I found out later that I had removed the CD unknowingly and I was surprised that it still worked!

11. sirchet

The mod pack and the GoG version uses a modified exe that no longer requires the disk inserted to play.

I think you'll find it much easier going with the Win7 PC.

Let us know how it works out.

12. Seminole Steve

Seminole Steve Member

Thanks I will. It may be a few days to a week before I go that route, but I'm sure I will be back here with questions!

13. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

To be honest, I would say that the computer game The Temple of Elemental Evil works best with Windows XP, since that was the operating system that the computer game was designed for.

I also use Norton anti-virus, and I have no problems running the game while Norton is active in the background (but I have excluded the entire game folder from Norton's real-time monitoring), so I believe that the problem that you are having is not due to your anti-virus software.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  14. Seminole Steve

Seminole Steve Member

That would be my understanding as well, but I freely admit I am not the best Troubleshooter when it comes to software issues. I have a hard time pointing towards Norton myself, since it is labeled as a "known non-offender" on the FAQ's of this site. But seems like everyone is out of ideas. I was out of ideas before I logged on here, so I guess I am out of luck.

The more I think of it, the less sure I am going to use the lapper for gaming. That is more of a PIA than anything else, when I have a perfectly good desktop sitting here on the desk. Maybe I'll just take everything off this computer and start over: Desura, the game, the modpack, front end - the whole 9 yards. Or maybe I'll just move on to something else that will work. I'm bummed though, because ToEE was one of the first modules I ever played in D&D...when it first came out. Yeah, I'm OLD. lol. I was interested to see what they did with it for the computer game.....but maybe it is just not to be. Sucks. :thumbsdow

15. dragoking99

dragoking99 Member

hey do not give up on this game once you finally get it to work you will see how great it is :)

Our Host!