My party...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by *Nemesis*, Feb 24, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. *Nemesis*

*Nemesis* Member

Hi Circle of Eight!

I create a classic party to begin the adventure on ToEE world...can i ask you opinions or advices about that?

- Leader of the party, talker with NPC and Weapons and Armors crafter:

Human Sorcerer level 1

STR 14
    DEX 17
    CON 17
    INT 16
    WIS 16
    CHA 18

Feats: Spell Focus (Evocation) and Improved Initiative
    Skills: all social abilities with Concentration and Spellcraft

P.S.

Here i have a doubt about the assignation of the bonus points to my stats...i'll arrive at 18 to DEX and COS or improve my CHA?

- Tanker

Dwarf Fighter level 1:

STR 18
    DEX 16
    CON 20
    INT 14
    WIS 16
    CHA 5

Feats: Improved Initiative and Weapon Focus (Dwarven Waraxe)

- Healer, buffer and crafter (Weapons & Armors, Rings and Woundrous items)

Human Cleric level 1:

STR 17
    DEX 17
    COS 18
    INT 14
    WIS 18
    CHA 6

Feats: Combat Casting and Improved Initiative
    Deity: Heironeous
    Domains: Good (for crafting Holy weapons with +2d6 damage to evil) and War

P.S.

No turning Undead, i'll bury them with fireballs...;)

- Ranged thief and scout (sexy female) :dribble:

Human Rogue level 1:

STR 14
    DEX 18
    COS 18
    INT 16
    WIS 15
    CHA 12

Feats: Improved Initiative and Point blank shot
    Skills: scout and thief's skills

At the end, i choose a particular class that i have never played in D&D, the Monk...

- Human Monk level 1:

STR 17
    DEX 18
    COS 18
    INT 12
    WIS 18
    CHA 6

Feats: Improved Initiative and Power Attack

Sorry for the textwal...

Thanks for your advices and opinions...;)

:wave:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I don't think Power Attack is good for a monk because of their Base Attack Bonus. You will miss too often. Same for Two-weapon Fighting (Power Attack doesn't even work for light weapons). Hey, I forget what the modders said about Power Attacking with unarmed strike.

If this is your first playthrough, you may notice that such high ability scores may make the challenge unsatisfying. I recommend choosing the options for max hp. Using Point-buy also helps.

3. DaBigDawgND

DaBigDawgND I am the Grim Reaper

I have found that since I have gotten the front-end mod I like the fact that I can edit my group size. I always use 2 half-orc fighters, halfling thief, human druid, a elven cleric, and a elven wizard. With all these classes covered it is a formittable group.

4. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Power attack is ok for most classes if you're using it as the doorway to Cleave - leave it at 1 or 0 for the whole game and just take advantage of all the extra attacks when you drop your opponents. I like twf for monks in ToEE - using crafted Holy weapons (like finessed Kamas) is about the only way my monk could ever get through the tougher monsters' DR.

The main problem I see with this party is the planned use of a Sorcerer as the main crafter. Due to Sorcerers' rather limited spell choices, you can end up not getting the spells you need for various elemental damages and/or wondrous items if you don't plan your spell selection very carefully. I recommend you grab Lord Plothos' crafting guide and refer to it when levelling up your Sorc.

5. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I agree on the point agains power attack for Monk. Unless you plan to develop it into Cleave. TBH, though, I think Monk feats can be better spent.

Sorcerer won't make the best talker - Bluff is the only communication class-skill iirc. Maybe give your rogue more CHA and dump some speaking skills off there, while making your monk the scout.

Agree on "careful spell selection" for sorc.

FYI, your cleric won't be able to turn undead (turn undead = 3+CHA, making it 3-3=0 for you). Unless you want to waste a feat on Extra Turning, give him more CHA. Also, I recommend "Improved Turning" instead of "Improved initiative" to begin with.

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well he did say he wasn't going to turn undead...

I've often pondered using a sorcerer as a frontman (just for novelty value). I say go for it. Also, give someone somewhere some ranks in Survival (you've got a lot of guys with good wisdom and Int scors so whoever has the most spare skill points I guess) and don't forget Listen and Spot where they are class skills: helpful in avoiding random encounters.

7. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I don't like to have a sorcerer for a frontman... While Bluff can be fun, I have found Diplomacy and/or Intimidate to have many more uses.

8. *Nemesis*

*Nemesis* Member

First of all, thanks for your answers...;)

1) I choose Power Attack for the Monk to improve the damage when my enemy is stunned, pinned, etc...in these situations, the enemy lose some AC and i can sacrifice my attack rolls to add damage (not -5, but -2 at least).

And i love Cleave...:love:

2) My sorcerer now has 8 Bluff, 6 Diplomacy, 6 Intimidate, 5 Sense Motive and 4 Gather Information...isn't good? I can add feats to improve these skills...

3) My Cleric has Survival and the Rogue has all scout skills.

4) My Cleric is the main crafter...the Sorcerer will craft rarely.

9. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Depends on how much talking you want to do. There's dialogues that'll ask you for 8+ sense motive, later in the game for up to 13 Intimidate. Gather info is not exactly useful later on.

I usually like to spread out speech skills rather than lump them on one character. It's a good idea to make the cleric or monk use Sense Motive - their WIS is higher, and it's a class skill. It's also reasonable to have a chara with ranks in both Spot and Diplomacy (well, it's metagaming, but I love that situation).

10. kylan271

kylan271 Established Member

Hmmm my PCs are:

1. Bard/Rogue/Wiz Elf (CG for Fragrach&Scather)
    2. Cleric/Fighter Dwarf(Moradin-Law&Good = holy&axiomatic weapons..killer vs CE opponents!!!),has Dwaven Axe(takes Fruella's Meat Cleaver later)..no need to take weapon focus get the meat cleaver and enchant that!(after Fruella dies oopsie...ahem..).
    3. Druid/Ranger 1/2Elf
    4. Wizardess/Monk Elf(or ranger..have to decide yet upon next level up).
    5. Clericess/Paladin Human (Pelor-Sun & Good)

Low levels I use 'Long Spear' predominantly as enemy must close and I get free attacks befoire closing,in addition it is a proficent weapon for all PCs including Wizard. My wizard being Elf doubles as Archer(long Bows are available early) and also keeps out of melee(but in game with her QStaff she has killed many in combat,gee).

Important Feats & Skills are:
    1)Tumbling skill..every PC,as many attacks you can avoid if you have to exit or approach a 'reach' weapon enemy. Saved my bacon many times.

2)Combat Reflexes Feat...I get many free attacks vs enemy that move to me when I have Reach weapons,or move around me etc. In use every combat as with Tumbling.

3)Spell Focus(Conj) & Augment Summoning Feats....for my Druid as I use her to drop summoned creatures on the enemy,with this they are stronger. Her animal companion is also enhanced.

4)Heal skill...I always get screwed by a PC being hit and dying with a healer too far away or stuck in combat elsewhere. All PCs have training in Healer as the choice of lost levels and gold through raise dead spells used or wasting points on skills,I chose the latter. Used nearly every combat.

5)Listen skill...It helps avoid surprise rounds which is handy when combat begins. I have for all PCs to prevent being 'flatfooted' in combat(when you do the IRun with the Sea hag and Frogs etc you will appreciate this more..^_*).

#Magic,ditch the Sorceror and stick with Wizard as you can gain more spells you will need to survive and for Crafting both. To gain more spells...
    a) Hire Sprugnoir and let him have some low level xps(I did a Deklo Grove random encounter). He can scribe spells for you from his book(I think Magic Missile,Armour,Burning hands and others)at cheap cost and uses HIS xps not yours heh. There is also Burne's apprentice and Burne for more spells if you hire them and have some gold.

11. *Nemesis*

*Nemesis* Member

Perfect, i'll follow your advices!

Last two questions and you are finally free...;)

1) I can encount many Chaotic Evil monsters in the game? My Cleric has Good and War as domains, i don't take Law because i like the bonus spells of the War domain, so i can't craft Axiomatic weapons...

2) Regardings on bonus ability points for my Sorcerer...i'll arrive at 18 to DEX and COS or improve my CHA?

The situation is:

Human Sorcerer level 1

STR 14
    DEX 17
    CON 17
    INT 16
    WIS 16
    CHA 18

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yes, the Temple is almost predominantly CE.

And I would say throw the points into Cha if you are going to use him as the face guy (+5 on cross-class social skills is better than +4, obviously). Plus it will help with the DCs on your spells if I am not mistaken.

PS: Take spell penetration when you get up a few levels!

13. kylan271

kylan271 Established Member

I still think it unwise to only use your Cleric as enchanter since several things are available for arcane users and helps spread the xp drain around(I have 4 enchanters to aid each other-Craft WI and Craft MA&W(Craft Wands only for Wizard)). Wizard uses xps for the +1-3 bonus,passed onto the Cleric for Holy,then to dwarf cleric for Axiomatic,then Druid for 'Shock' or 'Frost' bonus(Lvl 8). I found one enchanter trying for Lvl 10+(I use lvl 20 variant in CO8 5.5 Mod)too difficult as the xp loss from enchanting can be high for some things,so you have to forgo enchanting to catch up with other PCs. A Wizard as I said can gain far more spells than a Sorcerer here,so I defered Sorcerer.

For diplomacy,I understand your thinking on Sorcerer,but a MultiClass Bard/Rogue can cover there better(Lvl 10 limit)or B/R/Wizard(or Sorcerer)(Lvl 20 limit). Your Sorcerer only has BLUFF as class social skill,lol. Race is either Elf(Wizard) or 1/2 Elf(Sorcerer). In several battles you will find the enemy hunting your weak characters,so I use my skills for TUMBLING and LISTEN to avoid them,and a Magic User flatfooted in combat is vulnerable and loses the chance to counter enemy with ranged spells before they close. It costs more skill points but is more versatile. Web spell and conjure SPIDER & SPIRITUAL WEAPON is cool hehehe,enemy gets stuck but Spider & SW are free,whilst PC archers cut down stuck enemy.

Consider MultiClass options also,dependant on your Lvl limits.

Stat upgrade:

You can find Gloves of Dexterity around. I would give him that and Sling(Strength & Dex bonus),and upgrade your CHARISMA if you can as meant to aid in spells per day also(???). Choose your familiar wisely(I used TOAD (+3hp)for Wizard and RAVEN(+3 Appraise)for my Bard/Rogue/Wizard. You can enchant items to raise your 17 stats to 18 is the cheaper option,or raise Dex 1 & Con 1,and Enchant +2 CHR item.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  14. *Nemesis*

*Nemesis* Member

Thanks guys, i'll follow your precious tips!

I have made few errors when i build my party, but i'll try anyway in this way, i'm tired to reroll 300 times the rolls to find perfect stats...:shrug:

15. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Here's my tip on crafting: have cleric/druid/bard take craft W&A, then craft all available shields and armor (lots of those "Air Temple", "Earth Temple", etc shields are upgradable. Same with the Iuz shields and the spiked Bugbear shields. But only craft them to +1, just 40XP cost, then sell them for profit.

Do not take any Craft Wondrous Items skills, as that certain someone in the game provides you a shop with all the goodies, so don't waste your XP making them. Save the XP costs for later power ups to Holy, Axiomatic, Bursting Weapons.

By spreading the XP costs among several casters, they don't get too far behind the fighters levels and you don't limit your spellcasting ability.

Our Host!