My insane cousin Part II

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cujo, Aug 16, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

does anyone live near the red or green line?

[​IMG]

My cousin is going to skateboard one of those routes - most likey the red line.

for more info check out his site at http://www.14degrees.org/en/index.php

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

The red path looks to go through Orlando/Sanford area of what is referred to as central Florida. I live west of there in the Tampa area on the west coast of Florida.

3. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I'm smack in the middle of the space between them, on the east coast. Nowhere near either, I'm afraid.

4. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

The red path looks to go just north of Houston, TX and I'm in College Station which is about 60 miles northwest of Houston.

5. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Well Krunch, looks like he's heading in your direction

6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Where at in Tampa and when - day and time?

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Actually, it is the best time of the year to travel across the USA by taking the path he has chosen. It is winter and that means colder weather. He will pedal his way across lots of desert that starts in the state of Texas and the desert continues for about 1,500+ road miles on over to San Diego, California. (Realize, the road miles distance across just the state of Texas, alone - not including any other states, using I-10 in terms of road miles is over 960 miles. So, the mileage you would count as desert for the amount of road miles from Texas to the Pacific Ocean is hard to determine.)

He will see elevation increase as he travels across Texas. It will not seem too bad after that, except for in Arizona from approaching Tucson and traveling on up to Phoenix, Arizona, where he will complain about pedalling steep uphill inclines for about 200+ miles. Basically, from El Paso to San Diego is desert, lots of sand and hot, too.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Look at the left-hand side of the map for San Diego. Follow interstate highway I-8 to the right on over to I-10 and continue southeast over past El Paso to the right of El Paso. That involves California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. All of that is desert - lots of rocks, sand, tumbleweed, cactus, etc.

Attached Files:

10. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I don't think he'll be complaining at all about pedalling as he is skateboarding across the USA (it was Asia and Europe he cycled across). It'll probabley take you weeks to read it all, but its pretty interesting.

11. zuluwarrior94

Well, he certainly won't have to skateboard the elevation changes here that he pedalled through in Europe. But Krunch is right, it is prettymuch desert once he passes Junction, Texas. Yahoo maps says it's about 1175 miles, which is 1891 kilometers (for everyone in the world not in the US) from Junction, TX to Tijuana, Mexico.

Rob just needs to get through there before about June, because it's gonna SUCK goin' through there in the heat. Here in Texas we are known to see temperatures up around 100 degrees by that time, and it'll be worse in Arizona.

12. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Which is around 38۫ Celsius. ;)

13. zuluwarrior94

On behalf of all of us who are Metricly (sp?) challenged, I thank you.

14. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Actually, if your cousin were to start his journey in San Diego and proceed East (travel the other direction) using I-8 and, then, I-10 across over to Texas and, eventually, to Florida and down to the Florida Keys, most all of the elevation transitions would be downhill for the most part and be mostly easy to skateboard. Imagine having numerous places with 3-degree to 5-degree downward slopes about 3 miles to 8 miles long, each, to skateboard down instead of skateboarding up those slopes. There are some places where the slope is even greater in degrees than the slopes I've mentioned.

15. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Yeah. :yeaaa: Except for the part in the middle, which is 5000+ feet above sea level.

Ridiculous. :poop:

Our Host!