Modding demi-human bonuses

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by MB, Mar 15, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. MB

MB Member

I like to play halfling rogues and would also be interested if modding community would give the weapon focus to halflings to replicate racial bonus. Maybe one of the modders could address this? Thanks.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Re: Demi-human balance

If we could, I dare say we would. And doubtless one day we will, but at the moment, we can't. But we shall.

3. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

The shining one gets an 'A.'

4. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Dat's cause he's da shining one. :thumbsup:

5. Shiningted

To be more specific (something I have spelt out in the past but is a bit obscure so I will say it again) there is, according to Darmagon, a way to add feats to things through scripts. However, I have not yet found the exact syntax, and have crashed many a game trying to get it.

Once we find it, we can give monks all their weird weapon feats, add stuff like this to halflings etc all at the start of the game.

Also, when I get Alchemy up and running, you'll have another reason to use gnomes :)

6. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Hail to the Chief

I was successful in adding feats to all halflings by editing protos.tab PCs and adding the weapon focus feats for (dart, javelin, sling, shuriken). I chose not to do this for daggers as they could be used for melee. They seem to perform normally, or perhaps I am missing something, oh great one.

Holy Water and Throwing Dagger could be put under the Dart category. The only problem then would be that players could not choose to Weapon Focus these items on top of this compensation for racial adjustments. Ah, but what if we make the racial compensation Greater Weapon Focus instead, then players could choose to Weapon Focus when choosing feats (thus only the high level halfling fighter would lose out). I shall test this.

Edit: the Greater Weapon Focus route works perfectly. Non-proficiency for the shuriken still applies (to non-monks) and it allows for Weapon Focus to be added on top at any time.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  7. Shiningted

Thats some damn fine initiative there, Basil :clap: But I still have to ask - who uses the protos.tab PCs? I think its fair to say, folks roll their own ;)

Still, Weapon Focus (sling) etc should certainly be added to any NPC halflings. I'll see that Milo hears about it. And I'll bump the whole feats issue up the to-do list, since there are more and more uses for it coming up.

8. Basil the Timid

See my edit above

Who uses protos.tab PC? The game does when you create a character. I'm not sure if the existing NPC halflings would but, then again, there aren't any!!

9. Shiningted

Sorry, I'm missing something Basil. Are you saying the game bases ordinary PCs off the ones in protos.tab?

10. Basil the Timid

I'm saying that we can use protos.tab PC to make further racial adjustments to all PCs of a given race and gender. It is clear that it works for feats.

I suppose one of us could test that if a player wanted his PC elves to be drow, he could alter the ability stats and perhaps skin color to reflect this, but I doubt there would be a way to add an increasing spell resistance. Skill adjustments, who knows?

11. Shiningted

Well there you go. This does actually remind me of something Cujo said long ago when he was making his Giant PC, but unfortunately I didn't pay attention.

Well done again, Basil. Leaving aside the drow for a moment, are there anu other skills or feat-like abilities that are missing? Climb or anything like that?

12. Basil the Timid

I assume you are asking about other racial adjustments/bonuses that are not currently in the game.

Dwarf: +2 Search Stonecunning (which includes related Trapfinding and Craft)

Gnomes: Spell-like abilities for spells that don't exist yet (Speak with [burrowing] Animals, Prestidigitation, Ghost Sound, Dancing Lights. And, as you mentioned, +2 Craft Alchemy.

Halflings: +2 Climb and Jump.

Edit: Burrowing mammals, that is. Are there any? It would be cool to have a dialog for a PC gnome with an animal.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  13. kylan271

kylan271 Established Member

Difficult to categorise,but from ole PnP days of Judges Guild,there was discussion about: Trading(crafting these days also)..

Dwarf - +% to Metal items
    Gnomes Gems&Jewlery
    Halflings Organics,rope etc
    1/2Orcs Hides,Leather goods.
    Elves Archery,missile related

14. Basil the Timid

I played around with protos.tab PC some more. Changing ability scores and adding points to skills, such as 2 points for Dwarf Search does nothing after creation. However, during creation, it appears as a miscellaneous modifier but always cross-classed, so it would be necessary to put Search 4 in protos.tab PC

15. MB

MB Member

way to go basil...

Our Host!