Merchants start up screen...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by wanderon, Dec 9, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. wanderon

wanderon Member

I did not install the merchants start up screen with Co8 v4 and now I am wondering if perhaps I should have...

I am thinking about starting a very small party or possibly a solo and wondered if this would allow me to equip them better?

Are these merchants only available at the start or do you have the option to visit them again later?

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Currently, yes the traders are only available on the shopmap. Some people have complained about the lack of starting cash awarded even though the starting cash is decided by the random amounts each class is supposed to have according to the D&D PHB with a 200gp to 300gp bonus on top. I've never had any problem buying my starting equipment, and enjoy doing so.

3. wanderon

wanderon Member

So does the merchants startup increase the amount of gold you get significantly above what the game normally gives then?

4. Allyx

The game normally gives equipment appropriate to each class, 1 melee weapon, 1 ranged weapon, 1 suit of armor, 1 pair of gloves, 1 potion of cure light wounds, 1 pair of boots, and 1 helm to each character plus 500gp on top. The actual price of the original starting equipment varies according to your groups classes, but the shopmap calculates starting equipment according to your classes and lets you choose your starting equipment manually.

I've never actually worked out which way gives you more gp (equipment prices and "gift" money) but the shopmap deffinately has more versatility.

5. wanderon

wanderon Member

Ok and how would I "install" the shopmap now (without the front end)? Would I just reinstall the Co8 v4 patch and choose it this time or is there a file to install it already in my ToEE folder from the last install of Co8 v4??

6. Allyx

just re-install the non frontend Co8-4.0.0 mod and choose shomap options over the top of your current game.

7. Inexorable

Inexorable Member

Would there be a reason I can't talk to the starting merchants?

I started a new game with the caravan option at the beginning after having downloaded everything needed and my group appears in front of the traders but I can't talk to them.

Also, I'm pretty sure I checked the no weapons and no clothes options but my party starts with equipment.

Also, maybe I'm confused here but what do I need to install to get things going?

So far I've installed the co8 v4 mod after the toee patch 2, but what about that 3.51 professional edition front end? Is that necessary or should I just stick with the co8 v4?

Thanks for any help.

8. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I checked the dlg file last time someone had said this happened but Allyx has done a sterling job and it seems to be fine. So it's something your end I'm afraid. There do seem to be some glitches if you install the front end over the non-frontend version, but it's not consistent and I can't reproduce it.

Is this what you have done? ie installed the frontend over a non-front end initial install? (Purely for my interest here).

In any case, it sounds like you have got a fubar installation if you reach the shop map with all your equipment when you selected that not to happen.

I'm presuming you have .NET installed already.(1.1 oe 2. NOT the beta).

The standard, boring and tedious answer is to reinstall. Ensure there is nothing in the atari folder before you start your reinstall. Install the game, then patch 2 (or patch 1 and then 2), then install co8 with the front end. You can then put the updated front end straight into your ToEE folder (it's not necessary but might as well).

Start up your game and things should be sorted. If not, come back and we'll play bug hunt on your system ;)

9. Inexorable

Inexorable Member

Thanks for the responses.

I re-installed the co8 v4 over the previous install, making sure to check all the options, and now it seems to be running fine.

Yea I have 1.1 NET installed and am using the frontend, heh or at least I think I am as there is an icon on my desk top that takes me to a bunch of options prior to launching the game.

Anyway thanks again for the fast responses but things seem to have sorted out for now as my party shows up naked with the trader asking me if I'm down on my luck or something along those lines.

Our Host!