Meleny sells stuff I give her even though I told her not to.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Skeletom, Dec 4, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Skeletom

Skeletom Member

Well, I did a search as you suggested and I found this thread:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1497&highlight=meleny+equipment

I'm having similar problems as Mike B.

Meleny sells stuff I give her even though I told her not to. She won't give up the stuff I equipped her with except a ring of protection +1 (for some odd reason I can get that from her). I could give her better equipment but her STR is like an 8 so it will just weigh her down.

Is there way to edit her STR with a console command or something? I want to keep her in the party but at this point I'm thinking I'm gonna have to send her home.

2. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack 5.5.x + CMF Bug Reports and Discussion Thread

Yes, there are console commands to set attributes, experience, etc.

For your purposes, try:

game.party[x].stat_base_set(stat_[attribute you want to change],#)

x is the party member number. Starting from the farthest left PC, which is 0, and count forward. (Ex: Meleny is the 4th character from the left, her party # would be 3)

To edit Meleny's strength, it would look like this:

game.party[4].stat_base_set(stat_strength,18) Then hit enter.

You'll need patch 2 for the console commands. To open, press shift + tilde key.

Somewhere here is a HUGE list of all the console commands. You could probably find more concise lists on some other sites, that's where I found mine, BEFORE I discovered the joys of this group!! :thumbsup: :joy:

Damn, I'm stupid!! :doh:
    The console commands thread is on this very section, just a threads down!! :eek:mg:

BTW, this may not be the place to discuss these things, Geaer made it pretty clear that this was for bug listings only. Not 100% sure, but let's be safe. It's not wise to upset the Co8 lords! *looks around in paranoid fear* :paranoid:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

*paranoid fear turns to panic as post-move hammer comes down*

No biggie, but EtC's right that this would go best in it's own thread.

@Skeletom, IIRC you have to tell the NPCs not to sell anything every time you give them something. Or something like that.

I really liked this little mod in its day, but I think Humble NPCs is just the way to go now. This works if you bear down and figure out all its nuances, but what good is that really doing you if it's still causing you problems in the end? In a perfect world, maybe ... ;)

4. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

Do the numbers for items change depending on the mod used?

I attempted to console in a archmagi's robe (of the correct color) for my mage from an online list of number that I found somewhere (don't know where now), and it crashed my game. I think it was from 4.0 - but that's a guess.

I lost the save (deleted it) but didn't seem to hurt the rest. I saved right before I tried it, so didn't lose anything.

I was feeling guilty about it even before I tried it. I really don't know why doing something like that makes me feel guilty, but it does.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hm, more hints as to what makes scryler tick. Come on, fess up. ;)

Yes, there's a good chance that if you're using an outdated reference for proto numbers you'll have issues trying to console some things in.

6. Skeletom

Skeletom Member

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack 5.5.x + CMF Bug Reports and Discussion Thread

Thanks ETC

:doh:

I must remember to put more ranks in the Thread Awareness Skill.

Ok. I'll do that.

Is there a way to implement the Humble NPC but have it where they still take a cut of gold? I don't mind the gold so much. But, lately, Ronald the Cleric has been getting frisky and swiping up magic items.

7. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I might not even mind if they sell their equipment as long as it appears in the merchant's inventory. I had to reload because Spugnoir sold the Extraplanar Chest. Interesting though to see what it was like before Co8!

Edit: Ah, I did find some of Spugnoir's stuff in Rannos' inventory. Really is a PITA!

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

He shouldn't do that under any circumstances. What items?

9. Basil the Timid

Who plays without Humble NPCs?

Let me get this straight. The way to play without this option and still keep your sanity is to:
    1. buy everything from the NPC,
    2. equip them as you like,
    3. tell them not to sell anything,
    4. don't use them as mules (or they will keep the gold),
    5. go adventuring and let them loot,
    REPEAT

Is there a workable set of "looting instructions" for protos.tab?
    I think it has Meleny for all_arcane

10. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

You can allways do what I do;
    just have no NPCs.

11. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

I just did a fresh install because of crashes. i forgot to humble NPCs and Spunga (spelling) the mage nabbed some stuff and i couldn't get him to sell his funky outfit ( i tried to have him change his outfit).
    I restarted and turned on humble NPC but he still would not part with his original items.

I did this before i had interacted with many NPCs as party members. Somehow, the character got a "memory" that did not allow him to drop certain items.

no biggie. the gambler became cannon fodder.

12. Basil the Timid

Apparently, NPCs can be started as Humble, but then if you un-humble them and tell them not to sell anything, you then cannot Humble them again. This is a drag if, for example, you want to upgrade Meleny's purchased bark armor for troll armor.

Edit: So, it appears you can easily add stuff, either permanently or temporarily, but you can't get rid of it....unless....

Does the console offer any solutions to this medium-level drawback?

Also, it is interesting that I haven't heard Fruella complain about being loaded up (medium) and she hasn't tossed anything.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Fruella's thing may be a bug.

The current incarnation of Humble NPCs (Spellslinger's) doesn't add the NO_TRANSFER flag whent he NPCs join (among other things): otherwise, when they join the party, everything they have automatically gets flagged. Hence, the 'don't drop anything' mod which dumps then re-adds the party member causes whatever they are carrying (including stuff you gave them) to be flagged NO_TRANSFER so they never sell it. Switching on Humble NPCs AFTER the stuff is flagged will not remove the flag.

This differs from the previous incarnation (Drifter's) which simply broke the flag.

In an ideal world (ie when I get around to it) the NPCs' valuable stuff (magic gear etc) will come flagged but their mundane stuff will not: hence you will be able to play with Humble NPCs on at all times (to prevent them selling stuff) but still have to negotiate to get their magic stuff off them. As it should be. People are still recruiting Furnok to steal his ring with no consequences (possibly even making him hand over his potion to get into the party too) and to me thats an exploit that should be fixed.

14. Basil the Timid

Thanks for the clear explanation. Too bad switching on/off Humble NPCs doesn't do the trick. Now Meleny has to meet with an accident. Killing her outright (knocking out doesn't work) gets me her stuff but gets the whole town angry, or at least Jaroo when I tried to get him to reincarnate her.

Edit: Interesting that Filliken doesn't go crazy anymore about raising his daughter from the dead.

Fruella is not bugged. You can load her up, tell her not to sell stuff, and she won't "toss" that stuff; however, if you mule her with other stuff she will complain and drop those items.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  15. Darthcast

Darthcast Savant Trooper

Really? I don't remember that somethings like this could happen. :suprised:

I wanted to enhance Elmo's armor and axe recently, but Humble NPC was not enabled. I enabled it, but he wanted to keep his stuff, so I had to kill him. I immediately ressurected him with a scroll and he was happy to get his bigger axe and armor. No one turned hostile...

Our Host!