masterwork/magic leather or padded

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Basil the Timid, Apr 24, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I am currently playing an older mod so I cannot post this on the bug report thread.

I noticed that because magic leather does not have an armor check penalty, the masterwork compensation bonus to ACP is still applied. This means that Furnok actually sneaks around BETTER in magic leather than he would wearing regular clothing.

The solution would be to change protos of the higher quality versions of these armors to have a -1ACP.

So, can anyone confirm this on 5.5.0?

2. blackwind

blackwind Established Member

The masterwork versions of those armors work correctly.

3. Cruiser1

Cruiser1 Member

In D&D 3.5, leather armor never has an ACP. Only armor heavier than leather has an ACP: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#armorCheckPenalty

Because leather is not affected by ACP at all, masterwork and magic leather does not receive what amounts to an "armor check bonus", i.e. does not give you a bonus to skill checks. If ToEE gives a bonus such that characters move better in magic leather than wearing nothing (due to treating it like a -1 ACP) then that's a bug. A minor issue that's probably not worth caring about, but it is something to be aware of that's different from official D&D rules.

You can see the correct behavior in character generation tools such as PCGen, where leather, masterwork leather, and magic leather all have the same non-existent affect on skill checks that would be affected by ACP.

4. Basil the Timid

Cruiser1, that is what I am saying. I believe we have a bug.

Can you (or anyone else) verify it on 5.5.0 please. You can then post it on the Bug thread in the General Modifications forum, following the guidelines there. Thank you.

5. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Yeah, i remember something like that with other magical armour.

Iirc, the masterwork bonus is not taken from the penalty, it's actually a bonus. So, if the armor doesn't have a penalty, this bonus still applies giving you the extra point.
    A bug definitely. But i dunno if it happens in the recent patches

6. blackwind

blackwind Established Member

I checked in 5.5 it works correctly. The masterwork versions of those armors give no bonuses to dex base skills.

7. Basil the Timid

Interesting, there is a mention of this repair way back in 4.0.x

- Fixed masterwork armor bonus being added to skill checks.

but I am playing 5.0.6a. Oh well!! Thanks for checking.

Our Host!