Masterwork Cleaver

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by The Great Snook, Jan 17, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. The Great Snook

The Great Snook Member

So I find a masterwork cleaver in level 2 of the dungeon from of all creatures a female bugbear. It seems to be way too much weapon for her to have, but anyway.. Elmo just happens to go up a level and gets to pick a feat. I couldn't figure out what type of weapon the cleaver was as I wanted to give him a specialy/critical or something in it, soup it up and retire his old axe. What type of weapon is it? Is it possible to take a feat in it?

2. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

*Sigh*... install long_description.mes from my armor pack (in CMF),
    Snook, or look in the common solutions thread....

3. The Great Snook

The Great Snook Member

Maybe I'm under the wrong impression, but I'm unwilling to install other packs as I don't want my game to crash and there is no way I'm starting over. I'm planning on riding my 5.0.2 all the way to the end.

Also for people that may later on search my question. The answer is hand axe.

4. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

You shouldn't need to upgrade to 5.0.3 in order to use the new long_description.mes. It only replaces the file of the same name already in your game, and allows you to see extended descriptions of (almost) every item in the game.

Replacing the long_description.mes shouldn't make you have to start over or bug your game in any way.

5. The Great Snook

The Great Snook Member

Then I may have to read up on how to install it. I assume there are instructions in the thread?

6. ShadowDragoon

Well, all it is is taking one file and pasting another in its place. Just download the new long_description.mes, find the old one in your Temple of Elemental Evil folder, and paste it in. Easy peasy. :)

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I would suggest he rename the file currently in the game and paste the new file in the folder, instead of just overwriting the original file in the game.

8. ShadowDragoon

Wouldn't the file just be useless anyway if he renames it? Wouldn't the game not be able to reference the file because it doesn't know to look for that specific file name that he renames it to? I thought that's how it worked. Please correct me if I'm wrong. That's why I just told him to overwrite it.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah but renaming it gives him a backup to go back to if he stuffs something up.

In any case, none of this will work as the new long_description.mes is based on the new protos.tab in 5.0.3, which changes some of the weapons types to accomodate the new weapons feats. This will give wrong information to someone playing 5.0.2. (Though not in this case).

Whats so weird about female bugbears carrying meat cleavers? You don't think its the male bugbears that do the cooking, do you? In fact, it is fair to say every meat cleaver in the game is carried by a female bugbear :icon_chuc

10. The Great Snook

The Great Snook Member

I guess I don't think of a kitchen implement doing more damage than a sword. That must be one hell of a cleaver

11. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Yes it is, and when used by Fruella at 10th level and it's been crafted to +3 Flaming/Frost/burst types. Who the hell needs Scather. It's base is handaxe

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The damage issue has been debated in the past, but a large meat cleaver would definitely do more damage, yes. It has far more weight behind the chop. A sword is generally a multi-purpose instrument, designed to stab, slash, parry etc, and the slashing only has to really sever arteries and muscles to be effective, you don't have to actually decapitate a person to render them out of the fight.

A large meat cleaver, on the other hand, kept sharp, is specifically designed for the purpose of chopping through large chunks of flesh and bone. It would certainly do more damage in a number of situations. But then, it would be far less effective at parrying even than a good handaxe (imho). I guess it cries out for an exotic feat on both these grounds.

13. Ozzybrainz

Ozzybrainz Member

It still currently plays as 1d10, 17-20/x3, the new long description posted last week in CMF reads 2d4, 17-20x/2. I downloaded, installed the .rar's and tried it in 5.0.3. I personally like the thing as a ToEE easter egg as is. In the vanilla game, you had to find it, read the specs, and figure out it was craftable without the benefit of the word "masterwork".

14. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

In a middle ages village, the local butcher and housewives would have a cleaver. The Troika writers put it in the game and gave it to a spinister named Fruella. It's been fussed and argued about for the 2 years I've been here. If you don't want Fruella as a npc, then console the damn thing, give 4213.

15. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Yah, let's please leave Frue's meat cleaver alone.

Our Host!