Mapping Ideas

Discussion in 'Maps, Textures, and Graphics' started by Ax Thrower, Apr 9, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

:cool: This area is to be used for development of mapping techniques, suggestions, and requests..:pelvicthr

2. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

A suggestion was made for tunnel walls with support beams.. a rendering of a possible technique to accomplish it.. done with a basic 3 color mask extruded to "8"

Attached Files:

• beam.gif
      beam.gif
      File size:
      78.3 KB
      Views:
  3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That looks pretty damn cool. Also like the concave aspect of the floor and the illumination of the torches. Good work. :thumbsup:

4. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

Slightly updated version, getting rid of sharp angles and trying to give the effect of scooping the top layer of earth away... some minor airbrusing... etc..

Attached Files:

5. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

a couple of things, that timber looks about 3 weeks old (out of the plastic wrap) maximum, secondly the beam across the top would be really easy to snap cos the grain is going the wrong way - the grain should run the length of the timber.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  6. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

image > adjustments > replace colour

from photoshop, can be useful for quick colour retouching - curves, gradient maps and hue/saturation are also good :)

Attached Files:

7. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

also, filter > render > lighting effects is great :p

(These two changes take all of ten seconds to do ;))

Attached Files:

8. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

@ Cujo... thanks for noting the grain on the top beam.. you're right it would habve snapped like a twig.. (damn big tree though to get that from the cross section) as to the age hell they recently were replaced... (not) replaced with an older wood texture...

@ Vampiric Puppy.. thanks... dont have photo shop... can I count on you for "lighting" when the time comes...

and oldere beam version

Attached Files:

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Looking better all the time. :thumbsup: When can these guys start work on post-production for the caves, Ted? ;)

10. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

Gaear... appreciate the compliment, however Krunch is handling the caves.. I've just been throwing imaginative ideas out there... (although the raiders camp is quite interesting)

here's one for the books.. getting the coloring of the dragon skeleton was fun.

Attached Files:

11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I was thinking about how to get nice looking grass and came up with the idea of stealing grass from existing maps with grass, like emridy meadows, the caravan map or even hommlet.

btw, if they're new beams then sure, they can look new ;)

also I like the lighting effects in post 7, very flameish light.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  12. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

O.O Wow.... this looks really professional.

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

You took the words out of my mouth. The deal with Krunch and I was that he would do the hard yards of cracking the tiling format and garnering textures that we could legally use, then make the Cave maps, and I would provide the post-production work (having been given a crash course in Photoshop by a graphic designer friend, and feeling competent to do it).

Clearly you guys are way ahead of me though: would one of you like to have a crack at doctoring the existing Cave maps? It would involve adding torches, spotlights, beams (keeping in mind these are Kobolds and Orcses, not master builders ;) ) and generally prettying up the caves in the manner you have been doing above. Also, clutter - thrones, boxes, mattresses, weapons racks, whatever you find lying around the cave of a tribe of monsters: as long as it conforms to what is in the module (which is little enough) you have plenty of room for imaginative input.

Edit: O, and shadows. Gotta add shadows. Someone here already demonstrated that though ;)

14. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I could add some details to the maps though I'd need
    specific sprites for that. :p

15. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

Ted... heres a rough hewn version of the timbers... I used a bark texture to accomplish it

Mayang's Free Textures - Wood - Bark
    Version 13
    Our texture library has over 3400 free to download, free to use, high-resolution textures. Online at www.mayang.com/textures/

Attached Files:

Our Host!