Mandoline of Charming

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by windmillcrusadeR, Feb 25, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

This question has a few questions in it:
    1. How do you make a mandoline of charming? No spells match the Dominate Monster pre req for it. (Level 5 also)
    2. can bards get bonuses for using magic items that are musical instruments?
    for instance the mandoline of charming, or the horn of blasting (shout spell), or Pipe of haunting (scare)
    3. has anyone come up with other bard musical instruments in other mods? ie... Pipe of charming (charm person or monster) or maybe flute of slumber (deep slumber)?

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I can only answer q2: yes, bards should get a +2 perform bonus (at least) for those instruments, since by definition they are masterwork instruments as well as whatever magicks have been put on them.

3. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi WMC
    In answer to questions 1 and 3, any character with "Craft Wondrous Item", enough levels and the "Dominate Monster" spell can craft a Mandolin of Charming. Other Magical instruments that are craftable include: Chime of Interruption. Chime of Opening, Drums of Panic, Horn of Blasting, Horn of Evil, Horn of Fog, Horn of Good,Pipe of Haunting and Pipe of Pain. I have an Excel Spreadsheet that lists all the Wondrous Items that can be crafted, their requirements (spells, caster levels, etc...) and their crafting costs (exp. and gp.). If you would like a copy of it,send me a private message with your email address, and I will be more than happy to send you a copy.

NOTE to GAEAR: A while back (I don't remember how long ago) I posted a thread with that spreadsheet. Do you think it should be stickied ??
    The Royal Canadian

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sure. Where's the thread?

5. windmillcrusadeR

Hold on, i've never seen a dominate monster spell.
    which class casts it?

What level spell is it?

I looked through the book, i can't find it.

6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Bard lvl 4 should have it. I recall others maybe having it, not sure.

7. The Royal Canadian

Hi Gaear
    I guess my original thread ended up in the Negative Material Plane, as I couldn't find it when I did a search. I just started a new thread here. The chart lists all the requirements for crafting Wondrous Items, Staves, Rods and Rings
    The Royal Canadian

8. The Royal Canadian

Hi
    According to d20SRD, "Dominate Monster" is a 9th Level Sorcerer/ Wizard spell and is therefore not available to Bards. Sorry !!
    The Royal Canadian

9. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I think that's just charm monster, a good spell, but dominate would mean they become part of the party. I don't think the game could do that, but it would be cool to outfit those umberhulks with some equipment.

10. windmillcrusadeR

SSo if dominate monster is a 9th level wizard spell, maybe one of the Co8 could change that for the mandoline of charming to dominate person or whatever charm spell could work with TOEE?

Obviously something for the future releases.

Thanks for teh info though, i thought it was just me that coudln't find the dominate monster spell.

cheers

Our Host!