Magic wepons visual effect

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by The Mortificator, Aug 1, 2021.

Remove all ads!
  1. The Mortificator

The Mortificator Member

Hello,

I don't like the blue brightness which outlines magic wepons. With Dungeon Master console I can temporarily remove it (by selecting its bearer, which must have it equipped, clicking on "Modifiers & conditions" and removing "Weapon enhancement bonus") but the problem is that it's not permanent and also removes all the magical bonus.
    Is there a way to permanently remove just the visual effect?

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hi Mortificator,

Check out this post HERE where a modder changes the various magic weapon colours, it may be of some use (you can see which files were modded and maybe replace with blank versions).

3. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Have you looked into editing the protos.tab file using the basic modding tutorial? I have transposed the unused Greatsword of Lifestealing into a bastard sword that gives no immediate visual indication that it is magical - most gratifying

4. The Mortificator

The Mortificator Member

Hi Shiningted,

I took a look at it and I downloaded the file zip but there are only files of glowing types and and I’m not able to do anything with it. But maybe I can ask to its creator ;)

Hi Pygmy,

I don't know how to modding and even the basic tutorial seems too hard for me - too much stuff to do. I don’t even know where the protos.tab is located.
    Once I tried to mod Baldur's Gate II with NearInfinity Tool but I gave up after seeing too many errors report, lol
    I was hoping for something easier, like editing a text (e.g. if I remember well, in some D&D videogame, you can hide the cloak by changing a word in a text file, something like "NO" instead "YES"), using the cheat or DM console or, even better, an already existing file.

EDIT: I downloaded the toeextractor and now I know how to find the protos.tab.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  5. The Mortificator

The Mortificator Member

6. Shiningted

It was more to follow the folder chain and see where the relevant files are, but I think wg_magic.mdf s the one you want. Here is a modified version where I just blanked out the RGB numbers, it creates a sorta vague, subtle effect, still distinctive if you compare to a non-magic weapon but far less overpowering than the blue outline. Have a play around with the file, I used a hex editor to open.

Attached Files:

7. The Mortificator

The Mortificator Member

8. Shiningted

Are you using Temple+? Maybe you need to put them in the Overrides folder, I don't know - I just did that earlier file in ordinary Co8 ToEE and it worked.

9. Shiningted

Ok, I tihnk I know the problem. TempestZen, for whatever reason, uploaded the original files and then gave instructions how to mod them. If you just download his files, it looks to me like you will just be install what the game is already using. You still hvae to mod them according to his instructions.

Or, you could use that file I uploaded (which is showing zero views, so I am assuming it has not been downloaded) and just put that in. It should get rid of the blue glow.

10. The Mortificator

The Mortificator Member

I downloaded the files from TempestZen (I missed yours) but I assure you the last numer of each file is 0. Maybe I messed up the files (before that I personally copied all the files that I had extracted with toeextractor tool) but in the end they're right.
    Yes, I have Temple+, so I'm going to put them in the Overrides folder like you suggested.

EDIT: I've put the files in C:\Users\Mortificator\AppData\Local\TemplePlus\app-1.0.84\tpdata\overrides but weapons still glowing. Is there another Overrides directory or I just need to start a new game for the changes to take effetc?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  11. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

The overrides folder should be in your main toee folder, not Temple+ (the 1.0.84 folder will be deleted when the version changes).

Also in this particular case you should be able to just put it in toee/data as usual since T+ doesn't alter these files AFAIK. So it's probably something silly - can you screenshot the folder where you put the files?

12. The Mortificator

The Mortificator Member

I couldn't find any Overrides folder in the main ToEE folder, but maybe because Temple+ and ToEE are installed in different partitions. In fact the 1.0.84 folder still exist.

At first I put the files in F:\ToEE\data\art\meshes as per instruction, then I moved them to F:\ToEE\data\art\meshes\Weapons, just because I thought it was logic.
    After the suggestion of Shinigted I moved them to C:\Users\Mortificator\AppData\Local\TemplePlus\app-1.0.84\tpdata\overrides.

folder.png folder1.png folder2.png

13. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

You need to create the overrides folder.
    1.0.84 will be deleted eventually when the next version comes out.

14. Shiningted

Ok, there doesn't seem to be any mesh overrides so forget the Override folder suggestion. (Damn Windows UAC).

What you are showing you did (zero at end) sounds correct according to TempestZen's instructions, but since I got some sort of result with my file, can I suggest you try placing the file I did above in your data/art/meshe folder and see if it works, or does anything? Then we can move on to the next problem.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Sitra.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  15. The Mortificator

The Mortificator Member

I copy/pasted the folder here: F:\ToEE\data\overrides. Nothing has changed.

Sure I can, but I stil can't find your file. Can you link it to me?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
Our Host!