"Lurking" Thrommel

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by aanalore, Dec 12, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. aanalore

aanalore Member

I am having trouble getting Thrommel to join my party.

Here's the scoop: I have a chaotic Good party. We found Price Thrommel. Woke him up. Talked to him...all the right stuff, according to what I have read. I asked him to accompany the aprty and he accepted.

Except...he's no "IN" the party. What I mean is that he doesn't move with us. Insted, he "lurks" in the shadows some distance behind. You can see him if you turn around and walk a bit. If you try to talk to him, the first dialogue choice is "I need you to leave the party." So...he's presumably a part member, right?

If I leave, Thrommel won't leave with me. Instead, I have to come back through the secret entrance a couple of times, and he is standing there...ready to lurk some more.

Any thoughts on this? I am using the "official" patches.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Sounds very odd.

What do you mean by official patches? The Atari ones? Or the Co8 ones? Please specify and the order you applied them.

3. aanalore

aanalore Member

Hi! Thanks....

I am using the Atari patches. I installed patch 2 and then patch 3.

One other curious thing: the assassin who pretneds to be an elf (I forget her name). If go back into her room now, I get her dialogue (in whic h she reveals that she is actually a half-orc assasin.) But...I can't see her. At all. She attacks and presumably does everything she always does. Is she invisible? Or is this a glitch, also?

4. Zebedee

The Smigmal bug is well known. Yes it's a glitch but no-one has figured out how to fix it yet.

Ok. I can't offer a 'fix' as such to your problem - primarily because Atari patch 3 is an unknown quantity to me because I gave up testing it due to various issues it caused when I got the game. Someone else may be able to so you may want to hangfire before following my advice as it will involve you having to give up your current game and restart from the beginning.

Uninstall the game. Totally.

Now install Microsoft .NET 1.1 or 2 (links on the common issues thread.)

Now reinstall ToEE.

Apply Atari patches 1 + 2 (butnever 3)

Now install the Co8 v4 mod ( from the general modifications forum). Select the option to allow you to run frontend.

Launch the frontend and select the Co8 module.

Enjoy the game an awful lot more.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  5. aanalore

aanalore Member

Zebedee,

Does this mean wiping out my saved games as well?

Thanks for the advice. I have been itching to try the mod. But...I'm not much of a technie, and I'm a bit concnered about what I've read about the need for hex editing.

Is the mod basically "plug and play," once it's installed?

6. Zebedee

I'd say that wiping out your save games would be necessary. It is possible to continue to play them, but it causes all kinds of problems. eg some weapons will look wrong, you won't be able to complete some quests etc etc.

Besides, a lot of the fun changes occur near the beginning ;)

Not sure what you've read about hex editing. Unless you want to mod the game yourself in a major way there is no need to worry about hex editing.

Follow the installation advice I gave you above, and you should be up and running very quickly.

The frontend is a cool thing which makes mods plug and play. That's why you need the microsoft .NET btw.

Any problems, post them up after having a quick check to see someone else hasn't posted the same problem and already got a solution.

7. maalri

maalri Immortal

I agree that the Co8 patch with ToEE Front End makes the Mods extremely playable, and I am probably even less of a "techie" than you aanalore. This game is VERY enjoyable with it, and BTW-- did you see Allyx's latest post? he fixed the elf-hal-orc-assasin Smigmal Redhand problem you were asking about.

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Just FYI -

What aanalore is describing is the old bug in which Thrommel attaches himself to the party like a charmed animal. It's a result of already having 8 persons in your party, 5 PCs and 3 NPCs, per the original Troika standard.

9. aanalore

aanalore Member

Thanks for your advice, all.

If I can't get Scather because Thrommel won't leave the temple...is it going to be a lot harder for me to complete the game?

It may not matter, anyway, now. When I tried to reinstall the game to load the new mod...I got the dreaded "Cyicial Redundancy" error. So...I can't finish the re-install.

On the bright side, I was able to get some sleep last night, since I was gameless.

Our Host!